Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by GSO4PHILIPS
We will have a rental car, so parking is important as well.
You are running a bit into a dilemma. The LM is not a good place at all for cars. However, it is a perfect place as a base camp to all the tourist destinations in and around Munich IF you do it the way the locals do - by public transport.

The Westin is good for cars, however, it is a bit far off.

Seriously: In Munich you do not want a car. For Salzburg or Neuschwanstein or Herrenchiemsee and whatever you want to name, you do not need a car.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I didn't stay at LM so can't comment, but what I can vouch for is that with your car, Westin is excellent. You don't have to drive far into the city and endure traffic and confusion—it's very easy access off the Autobahns, and the Valets were wonderful, especially a big black dude from the US who was a total teddy bear and really helpful.

The club at the Westin is one of, if not the best ever. I can't say enough about the staff and the food and beverage there. They do varied and substantial hot apps every afternoon/evening and you can make a meal of it if you are not a big eater (I'm a grazer, so it suited me just perfectly!). Well, actually, if you're a lounge whore and pig, you can easily pig out and get drunk!!

The location is so easy for the subway to get to all the major spots in Munich. You just walk across the street a small block and you are at the underground. I had to do it in pouring rain and the hotel provided loaner umbrellas and I was fine. I was at Marienplaatz in 10-15 minutes from leaving my room.

As far as your plans to daytrip sight-see to Salzburg and stuff with MUC as your base, I really really would recommend you go stay at the Sheraton Jagdof Hof Bei Salzburg, just outside Salzburg for a few nights. It's a delightful area and you will pay quite a bit less than the Westin MUC and have free self parking and a base to go explore Salzburg and the mountains and beautiful region.

Flying Lawyer... your last sentence... surely you mean you DO need a car????
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
The Westin has one obvious advantage: it has a lounge, which the LM has not.

However you can't really beat the LM location. It's right next to main station and just a short walk from major places like Karlsplatz, Odeonsplatz, Marienplatz, Sendlinger Tor, etc.

The bathrooms are about even, but only really large in a suite, which is hard to get in both hotels, due to the large number of business travellers (which are mostly Plats) that stay in both houses. Parking is possible in both houses, though easier in the Westin. But as was said earlier, you don't really need (and want) a car in Munich.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Stay at Schloss Fuschl near Salzburg (I presume it reopens for the season by then). Parking is free, the hotel is really special and it is easy to get into Germany 15 mins on the Autobahn roughly. I would recommend Herrenchiemsee and Linderhof more than Neuschwanstein due to the number of tourists. The hotel is really special - we got a Junior Suite as an upgrade, with large bathroom (separate huge tub and shower). The spa was great - at times we were the only ones there. Our rate was an offer which when you prepaid you got free dinner. Breakfast and dinner were both good.

If Schloss Fuschl has not reopened, you could stay at the Jagdhof, which is cheaper and has a spa, but I haven't stayed there.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:33 am

SunshineStay pretty much nailed it.

I've only stayed at the LM, during Oktoberfest 2009. The location of the property is unbeatable both for proximity to sights and for day trips as it is quite literally across the street from the train station. The train station itself has a variety of major shops, such as a Starbucks and a Burger King (with free Internet that you can reach from the window of some rooms at the LM, *wink*) and a variety of smaller vendors offering all sorts of food, including some fresh fruits and vegetables.

Also, the neighborhood is rife with moderately priced restaurants.

I remember being less than happy with the gym hours of the LM, but otherwise I had no real complaints about the property. The room (I can't recall my exact room type) was sizable and modern, quiet, and had a nice bathroom. It was not large, but it was perfectly adequate and as modern as the rest of the property.

I mean it's nothing to write home about - it's pretty run of the mill as far as a LM goes and perhaps a bit more laid back. It has a small bar that is trying way too hard in the lobby, but otherwise is rather calm and contained. It certainly isn't nearly as uppity or full of itself as say, the LM Etoile in Paris.

I would certainly stay there again without hesitation. Location, location, location. That said, I can only speak for the LM and not the Westin.

Also - as many have said, you probably don't want a car in Munich, unless you have some reason to require one.

P.S. - Don't skimp out on Salzburg. Spend a night there at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch. I was upgraded to a truly wonderful top-floor room by the generous and helpful staff (the bathroom alone was about the same size as my last flat in London), and I had an excellent time there. One of my favorite cities in all of Europe. Beautiful. If you have time, the train from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden (to visit the Eagle's Nest) takes you through the beautiful, pristine Bavarian Alps. If you find World War II history intriguing, it's an experience not to be missed.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by thebkguy
I remember being less than happy with the gym hours of the LM, but otherwise I had no real complaints about the property.
I stayed there for the last six months and the gym was open 24/7. The pool and spa area is open from 9 AM to 10 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BulaRae
Flying Lawyer... your last sentence... surely you mean you DO need a car????
While I agree with your description of the hotel, my clear opinion is: You do not need a car. Trains are cheap, reliable and all the typical tourist destinations can be done by train (and the LM at the central station has a big advantage). It is one of the typical US approaches that you believe to need a car everywhere, however, central Europe and in particular Germany is very good in trains and public transport whereas parking and gas is expensive.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:51 am

Munich and big cities, yes. But I was driving and I can't imagine going through the Alps and to places like where Neuschwanstein is and Hof Bei Salzburg just outside of Salzburg, and having to deal with trains. Especially in the winter. Ick. Once in those areas, to be totally dependent on when and where the public transportation goes would be miserable, IMO.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Munich and big cities, yes. But I was driving and I can't imagine going through the Alps and to places like where Neuschwanstein is and Hof Bei Salzburg just outside of Salzburg, and having to deal with trains. Especially in the winter. Ick. Once in those areas, to be totally dependent on when and where the public transportation goes would be miserable, IMO.
Neuschwanstein is the easiest. Take the train to Füssen, leaving from Munich Central every hour, jump on bus Number 73 and this takes you directly to the entrance of the castle. Travel time from Munich 2.20 hours, costs for a day ticket for your family something in the range of 30 Euro. Distance is in the range of 140 km, half on this not on the Autobahn....

The same is true for Hof (whoever wants to go there). Take the train to Salzburg (every hour). Jump on bus 150 and you will be there in 2:30. Distance is 164 km.

In particular in winter, I would prefer public transport. If you, however, want to drive for the sake of driving, the story is different. But for point-to-point connections to tourist spots, I would never want a car. And taking a car for the typical trip to Salzburg (in particular in Winter) is nothing but insane...
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I staued at both LM and Westin Grand in June. Even though I was upgrade to a junior suite at LM and Westin Grand was a standard sized room, I would go back to the Westin Grand. If you want to be able to go back to your room during the day then LM is more convenient.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:17 am

Especially in Winter the public transport is much more reliable and safe than going somewhere by car on iced streets or streets covered with snow. Flying Lawyer is totally right, this isn't the US. Europe in general and Germany in particular has a well-developed public transport system that far outshines everything a traveller from the US is normally expecting.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Especially in Winter the public transport is much more reliable and safe than going somewhere by car on iced streets or streets covered with snow. Flying Lawyer is totally right, this isn't the US. Europe in general and Germany in particular has a well-developed public transport system that far outshines everything a traveller from the US is normally expecting.
Everyone is entitled to their different point of view. If one more person states the obvious "this isn't the US" I think I'll throw up. At the same time, winter in Europe is no different than winter in the US. It snows. Big deal!

I happen to have grown up in the mountains of Colorado and am not intimidated by winter driving. Are you suggesting that everyone in Europe stops driving in the winter? I think not. If the OP is not from a winter climate, then yeah, they would probably be nuts to drive.

Whatever the case, I'm glad the OP is getting some different opinions, as people who live in big cities in the US, especially in the northeast, and those already living in Europe, are definitely used to a very different lifestyle that uses public transportation. And likewise, my stated opinion based on my personal experience driving 6,000 MILES throughout Europe as a tourist over a 7 week period this past summer and staying at SPG properties, is just that—MY experience. And it is based on that experience that I am entitled to offer MY opinion.

Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone is entitled to their different point of view. If one more person states the obvious "this isn't the US" I think I'll throw up. At the same time, winter in Europe is no different than winter in the US. It snows. Big deal!

I happen to have grown up in the mountains of Colorado and am not intimidated by winter driving. Are you suggesting that everyone in Europe stops driving in the winter? I think not. If the OP is not from a winter climate, then yeah, they would probably be nuts to drive.
Winter is different for several reasons: (a) plenty of Europeans are not used to drive under winterly conditions and you even see people with summer tyres. (b) it makes some kind of a difference whether you drive in the typical harsh US winter or in a middle European winter with temperatures around zero degrees and (c) winter driving in a big city is different from winter driving in the mountains of Colorado (btw: I am pretty positive the mountains of Colorado will not offer a serious alternative called public transport).

I and several others stop driving for example for getting to work and take public transport because of (a) typical traffic jams as a coonsequence of car crashs, (b) the problem of what we call "blitz ice" and (c) unexperienced drivers. Not to (d) speak about the fact that a traffic accident in the city centre can easily block half of the city and cause long delays.

Your statement "winter in Europe is no different than winter in the US. It snows. Big deal" shows that you believe that Europe is the US. You do not need to put any trust in what the locals say, however, 45 years of experience with German winters and quite a few years of experience with New York winters give evidence to me that there is a big difference.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:59 am

Flying Lawyer, please don't tell me (or others) what I/we believe or draw blanket conclusions based on a lack of information. I said I "grew up" in the mountains, but not that that is the only place I have ever lived or driven in the winter. You obviously don't believe in driving. And that's understandable—you live in NYC.

OP, good luck with your trip. I think you will really enjoy the area.

Last edited by BulaRae; Oct 8, 2010 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:43 am

@BulaRae
You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but the OP should ask himself whether he should either trust the opinion of someone, who drove seven weeks through Europe or to people, who have been living in Germany for their whole life. Good luck with your travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.