FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:45 am
BulaRae

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Especially in Winter the public transport is much more reliable and safe than going somewhere by car on iced streets or streets covered with snow. Flying Lawyer is totally right, this isn't the US. Europe in general and Germany in particular has a well-developed public transport system that far outshines everything a traveller from the US is normally expecting.
Everyone is entitled to their different point of view. If one more person states the obvious "this isn't the US" I think I'll throw up. At the same time, winter in Europe is no different than winter in the US. It snows. Big deal!

I happen to have grown up in the mountains of Colorado and am not intimidated by winter driving. Are you suggesting that everyone in Europe stops driving in the winter? I think not. If the OP is not from a winter climate, then yeah, they would probably be nuts to drive.

Whatever the case, I'm glad the OP is getting some different opinions, as people who live in big cities in the US, especially in the northeast, and those already living in Europe, are definitely used to a very different lifestyle that uses public transportation. And likewise, my stated opinion based on my personal experience driving 6,000 MILES throughout Europe as a tourist over a 7 week period this past summer and staying at SPG properties, is just that—MY experience. And it is based on that experience that I am entitled to offer MY opinion.