Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
My new go to in MUC is Le Meridien- half a block from the main train station, so the ride from the airport is SUPER easy. Decent rooms. SPG Plat benefits usually. About 3-4 blocks to the downtown area (not sure where christmas markets are). There is also a Soffitel Munich Bayerpost, just across the street. Definitely a step up from the Le Meridien. Only there once. (Always on business, I'll take the SPG points when Im alone...)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just returned from a six-night award stay at the Le Meridien. Recommended. Not only is it convenient to the main train station and Munich mass transit (U-bahn, S-bahn, and trams), all across the street, but it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of the historic inner city and Marienplatz.

Rooms at Le Meridien are also, typical of the brand, upscale and artsy.

While the hotel was full with attendees of a trade show following Oktoberfest while we were there, as a Plat I was still upgraded to a room facing the inner courtyard. That's a great idea for a room location, because it's incredibly quiet to be on the inside when the train station exterior is on the city-view side.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Munich: which hotel? 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Interesting reading and advice!

I'll be spending a week in B-W and Bayern over this Christmas with the last two night in the city and wondering where to stay for the first of the two nights.

Us: me and the 3 mini-Whiteys (aged between 6 & 11). SPG Gold. Willing to do points, C+P or cash.

Plan: arrive in the city Sunday noon hoping for early check in. Will have a rental car. Visit the rest of the day and part of the next day (Glockenspiel, Marienplatz maybe English Garden and enough kids' stuff to keep them happy...) Check out Monday late afternoon drive to airport and return rental car. Monday overnight close to the airport for a Tuesday 7am flight.

The challenge: which hotels? I want to have a bit of time for a (albeit quick) visit in the city centre and be at an airport hotel the night before our early departure. Will likely need parking for the rental (remember, 3 kids and bags, not sure I want to do that in public transportation). A room that will accept 4, although all we would need is two beds and a sofa bed and we can make do. Would love any perks, but realistically not expecting any.

I have a cash booking serving as a placeholder at LM, but hearing favorable review on Westpark. Open to ideas.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA,

Whitey in YUL
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL
Interesting reading and advice!

I'll be spending a week in B-W and Bayern over this Christmas with the last two night in the city and wondering where to stay for the first of the two nights.

Us: me and the 3 mini-Whiteys (aged between 6 & 11). SPG Gold. Willing to do points, C+P or cash.

Plan: arrive in the city Sunday noon hoping for early check in. Will have a rental car. Visit the rest of the day and part of the next day (Glockenspiel, Marienplatz maybe English Garden and enough kids' stuff to keep them happy...) Check out Monday late afternoon drive to airport and return rental car. Monday overnight close to the airport for a Tuesday 7am flight.

The challenge: which hotels? I want to have a bit of time for a (albeit quick) visit in the city centre and be at an airport hotel the night before our early departure. Will likely need parking for the rental (remember, 3 kids and bags, not sure I want to do that in public transportation). A room that will accept 4, although all we would need is two beds and a sofa bed and we can make do. Would love any perks, but realistically not expecting any.

I have a cash booking serving as a placeholder at LM, but hearing favorable review on Westpark. Open to ideas.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA,

Whitey in YUL
Whitey,

more and more properties in Germany follow the procedure of the Sheraton Pelikan Hanover and close for two weeks around X-Mas.

In recent years, the Sheraton Congress Frankfurt as well as several properties in Munich did the same, IIRC, the Sheraton Westpark also closed for two weeks.

The larger rooms at the Sheraton Airport and the junior suites at the Arabellapark fit your bill and free parking around the hotel is available there as well, at the Arabellapark, you will also have direct access to the Subway as well as a grocery store in the same complex.

The Westin and the LM are better hotels, no doubt about that, but I recommend contacting the Arabellapark to inquire about the surcharge for a room that fits 4.

It is super slow season in Munich during this time of year, so they should be willing to work with you on a deal for a larger room or suite.

Driving back to town from the airport is a pain, but hardly anyone is working in Germany between Dec. 20 and January 4/5/6 , so it will be an easy drive
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Munich: which hotel? 2008 onward [Master Thread]

thanks for the suggestions, FD1971!

W.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Honestly even with the kids I'd consider the Le Meridien for both nights. Check and see if you can change your car rental return to the train station. There's a garage just on the other side of the train station from the LM that takes drop offs for Avis and several other agencies. We did it last summer and it was actually a cheaper rate.

If you can pull that off you'll (1) save on 1-2 more days of rental, and (2) have a much more enjoyable time in Munich. The train station is literally across the street so unless you are totally loaded down with luggage it's not a big deal - at all - to walk to the train in the morning. Worst comes to worst, take a cab straight from the hotel, likely still cheaper than your car rental.

But this way you can have 2 fun nights in Munich and a full day Monday seeing the sights.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Honestly even with the kids I'd consider the Le Meridien for both nights. Check and see if you can change your car rental return to the train station. There's a garage just on the other side of the train station from the LM that takes drop offs for Avis and several other agencies. We did it last summer and it was actually a cheaper rate.

If you can pull that off you'll (1) save on 1-2 more days of rental, and (2) have a much more enjoyable time in Munich. The train station is literally across the street so unless you are totally loaded down with luggage it's not a big deal - at all - to walk to the train in the morning. Worst comes to worst, take a cab straight from the hotel, likely still cheaper than your car rental.

But this way you can have 2 fun nights in Munich and a full day Monday seeing the sights.
+1

In addition, while the train option is fine, if you walk through the station there's also the very nice "Lufthansa Bus" that goes straight to the airport.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium elite
Best SPG hotel in Munich

I will be staying in Munich around the holidays, what would be the best hotel? It will be 3 of us, including 2 teenagers. A lounge would be nice and I am hoping to walk from the hotel to the center and especially the christmas market. Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Please refer to the Munich: which hotel? 2008 onward [Master Thread] in The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List.

When researching a property, please, check The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List first, for information, as any question you have most likely has been asked and answered several times.
I agree that this is good advice. But for what it's worth, Le Meridien is friendly, well-run, very centrally located and is easy to get to via train or a dedicated bus from the airport, as it's just across the street from the main train station (which is where the bus stops also). I don't know if it has a lounge, though.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite
Just returned today after a 3 day stay at the Le Meridien in Munich. It's a nice hotel and friendly people. There is no lounge. Recommend to book a room with view to the inside garden (no noise from the busy streets around the hotel). The area is very busy day and night ...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by aschb
Just returned today after a 3 day stay at the Le Meridien in Munich. It's a nice hotel and friendly people. There is no lounge. Recommend to book a room with view to the inside garden (no noise from the busy streets around the hotel). The area is very busy day and night ...
Do they offer full breakfast buffet to spg plat members? not sure if i should pick LM or other hotels that have lounges..
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by patebela
I will be staying in Munich around the holidays, what would be the best hotel? It will be 3 of us, including 2 teenagers. A lounge would be nice and I am hoping to walk from the hotel to the center and especially the christmas market. Thanks for any advice.
I was in Munich for Oktoberfest and I could not get the LM so I stayed next door at the Aloft. I would avoid the Aloft. The location I think is great. You can take the train from the airport directly to the train station across the street. The train station has some good food stands and some sit down places which for me was great because there were food options until later in the evening and some convenience stores.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sophie.haas
Do they offer full breakfast buffet to spg plat members? not sure if i should pick LM or other hotels that have lounges..
Yes, Le Meridien Munich offers full breakfast buffet to SPG Plats. It did when I was there for six nights last month.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Yes, Le Meridien Munich offers full breakfast buffet to SPG Plats. It did when I was there for six nights last month.
Is this inclusive of 500 points of you have to forgo the points?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Is this inclusive of 500 points of you have to forgo the points?
I just had two stays there last week, was either or. Took breakfast once and it was pretty good. No upgrades as Plat either stay, even though they had suites available. Didn't press the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.