Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you still have to pay for the shuttle to the Sheraton Munich Airport Hotel?
Unfortunately, yes.

Here is an overview of hotel shuttle buses including the Sheraton:
http://www.munich-airport.de/en/cons...aton/index.jsp
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by LH738
A summary of the properties in Munich including my subjective ranking:
Thankyou for this great summary LH738 - very useful indeed. ^

Having recently settled on the Westpark for a visit to Munich in November, your feedback validates our reasons for selecting it which is good to know.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I recently spent six days in Munich during which I stayed for one day each at the Sheraton Westpark and Sheraton Arabellapark, with the remainder of my time spent at the Hilton Munich City. While there, I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Westpark much more than I did at the Sheraton Arabellapark.

Location: Both properties are quite convenient to local transportation but the ubahn station is exceptionally close to the Sheraton Westpark, just across the street.

Platinum recognition: The Westpark check-in agent happily offered me a spacious junior suite without any prompting from me. The Arabellapark check-in agent did not offer me an upgrade but only offered me a suite when asked. I eventually wound up in a club room due to some configuration issues in the suite.

Room: I had no complaints whatsoever about the suite at the Westpark. However, the suite at the Arabellapark contained only two single beds and I was told by a staff member that this is how they are all configured but I do not know whether that is really the case. I was eventually moved to a club room, which was one of the smallest rooms I have encountered in Europe. On the plus side, its climate control worked quite well, which I suppose is not much of a problem when the room is so small that there is not that much climate to control.

Lounge: The lounge at the Westpark was unattended but a staff member looked in on things every hour or so and kept everything well stocked (including wine and beer) and tidy. I found the lounge ambience to be quite pleasant and serene and the lounge operated at full hours over the weekend. The lounge at the Arabellapark closed at 5:00 PM over the weekend and, though attended by a staff member, the quality and quantity of its offerings were substandard when compared to that of most other Starwood (or Hilton) lounges that I have encountered in Europe.

General Comments: While checking out of the Sheraton Arabellapark, I commented on the diminutive size of the room and was told that all of the club rooms are very small. I also told the desk clerk that I was amazed that the hotel did not see fit to provide even a single bottle of water in the room. She explained that they do not provide water because Starwood no longer requires them to do so, i.e. its no longer a brand standard. I cannot comment about this one way or another (but I confess to be getting quite annoyed with Starwood brand standards in Europe of late) but as far as I am concerned, although they may not be obliged to exceed minimum required standards, I am not obliged to stay there again. That being said, I would happily return to the Sheraton Westpark the next time I'm in Munich.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:40 pm

My wife and I stayed at three Munich *woods this past September - Loved the Westin Grand Munich, close to transportation

Had a very poor check in experience at the Sheraton Munich Arabellapark - they had no record of our reservation, luckily I had a paper copy, took about 20 minutes for them to check and recheck (they had to make a copy of my copy) , finally was given a room. When I asked about a lounge I was told that there was one, but I would have to pay!!?? Asked if everyone had to pay, including platinums and his rely is "Oh, you are platinum?" - even though I had mentioned this several times. All in all, of all three of the *woods we stayed at, this is the only hotel I would not return to.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I finally had an opportunity to stay at both the Sheraton Westpark and the 4P Munich Central.

The Westpark is as-advertised, a really nice property that does a great job of recognizing members and treating them well. The lounge, though small, had food and beverage options all day long and well into the evening (when it closes at 11pm). There was never a problem taking something from the lounge back into the room. They have (or had - there seems to be some confusion) Bulgari amenities in the big suites (not the Junior or Business Suites).

The 4P rooms are large but dumpy looking, and they didn't provide any toiletries aside from the shared liquid soap and shared shampoo/shower gel. On the plus side, Internet access and the mini-bar were free, and for the rate I paid (something like 50 Euros), it would be impossible to find fault.

Looking forward to trying out the re-badged Westin and at some point the LM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Le Meridien Munich

Just spent four days at Le Meridien to cap off the *A Mega DO. Fabulous! Right across from the main train station.

Upon check-in I was upgraded to a deluxe suite. I am SW Gold, so I don't really expect much in the way of upgrades typically. The suite was lovely with a bedroom section, a generously sized sitting room, a separate dressing room and a well-appointed bathroom.

The only 2 negatives: The king sized bed was the typical euro-style foam mattress. I prefer the plush american beds (I know, I'm spoiled!). Also for such a large space for the bathroom and separate dressing room, the shower was a bit small.

Overall, was very very pleased and enjoyed the stay very much.

carsonheim
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:33 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Which one for easy transit of Munich?

I need a one-night stay in Munich, arriving late in the day from Salzburg on my way to Guenzburg (Ulm) the next morning. Which Starwood property will be the easiest to get to, and more importantly, least problematic getting underway on A8 heading west the next morning?

From the maps, I suspect none of them is particularly convenient, but I don't need absolute convenience, just want to know which is going to be easiest. I've pretty much already ruled out either of the 4 Points, and am guessing the Sheraton Westpark will give me the easiest "getaway," but would appreciate the advice of those with experience.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I need a one-night stay in Munich, arriving late in the day from Salzburg on my way to Guenzburg (Ulm) the next morning. Which Starwood property will be the easiest to get to, and more importantly, least problematic getting underway on A8 heading west the next morning?

From the maps, I suspect none of them is particularly convenient, but I don't need absolute convenience, just want to know which is going to be easiest. I've pretty much already ruled out either of the 4 Points, and am guessing the Sheraton Westpark will give me the easiest "getaway," but would appreciate the advice of those with experience.
First, do take a car with navigation.
If you arrive late, traffic in Munich won't be a problem. The same is true if you leave very early.
All hotels have a garage. If you want to search for a public parking,
  • nearly impossible around the le Méridien.
  • I regularly found a parking in Ridlerstraße near the Westpark.
  • There is quite a good chance to find a public parking near the Westin or Sheraton Arabellapark Bogenhausen.
I would not see an advantage of any hotel being less problematic getting underway on A8. You can drive to the North from the Westin and the Sheraton Arabellapark Bogenhausen in order to reach A99 and then drive towards A8. You can drive to the West from Le Méridien or Westpark towards the A8. The distance should be a bit less compared to the both hotels in Schwabing.

Please note that there are a lot of road works on the A8 between Munich and Augsburg at the moment (+ the next years).
(Just would like to mention that train connections between Salzburg and Munich and between Munich and Günzburg (Intercity) are convenient and easy. With a lot of luggage, the car might still be the better option.)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:55 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
What about suites for travel with kids?

Thanks, LH738, for the advice. I'd like to rely on the train, but in this case there are 6 of us, and I have a good bit of driving back and forth between Guenzburg and Oberammergau and Munich and in the Oberammergau vicinity over the subsequent few days, so I have to stick with the car, unfortunately.

I was going to say we might not leave early enough to avoid morning traffic, since we don't need to be in Guenzburg until 10:00 a.m., but considering the construction you mention, maybe we should leave earlier than I'd imagined.

Related to this stay, I'm also wondering whether any one of the options might be better than the others considering that I will have my 2 kids with me. Especially if traffic issues will be roughly equal, I'd probably weight some consideration to which hotel might give me the best chance at an upgrade to a suite I could use for both my wife and I and our 2 kids. We're typically most comfortable in a suite with a separate bedroom and a double sofa-bed in the living room. I noticed in your pictures of your stay, and also on the hotel's web site, that the Westpark has suites in which there is no sofabed. So even though I've read from you and others that the Westpark has a good upgrade possibility, a suite upgrade might not be worth as much to me there if that's the type of suite I could expect.

Also a potential factor is that European hotels are typically more likely to limit occupation of even a suite to 2 people, so if this is the case with these properties then the suite upgrade issue is moot.

Anyone have any ideas if one of the properties would shine more than the others in this regard?

One other factor: We'll be returning our rental car a few days later to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, having picked it up at the airport initially. The LM has a certain appeal to me in that it would give us a chance to scout the area and identify the car rental return location ahead of time. But I had read in another review upthread that the LM fronts some shops on one side that we'd probably not like to confront with our kids just yet, so if that's true then it'll probably rule out the LM for this stay.

Ultimately it may come down to the Westpark just on the basis that it's cat. 3 instead of cat. 4, and would allow us a free breakfast in the lounge.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
One other factor: We'll be returning our rental car a few days later to the Munich Hauptbahnhof, having picked it up at the airport initially. The LM has a certain appeal to me in that it would give us a chance to scout the area and identify the car rental return location ahead of time. But I had read in another review upthread that the LM fronts some shops on one side that we'd probably not like to confront with our kids just yet, so if that's true then it'll probably rule out the LM for this stay.
Le Méridien is just on the other side of the main station/subway station/tram station. There is nothing in the area to explore but it's easy to reach public transport without going through an area you don't want to.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
In residence at Westpark now. Rooms are newly renovated, I don't really think it gets any better than this!!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I'll be going to Munich for a quick visit with a friend in two weeks. I normally stay at the Le Meridien or the Westin in Munich, but both hotels are fully booked. I have quickly reserved two rooms each in the 4P Central and the Sheraton Westpark and now I just need to decide where we should stay.

Reading through this thread I guess the answer is the Sheraton Westpark, although the 4P probably has a slightly more convenient location (and is due to be re-opened after a renovation beginning of next week).

Any new insights I should consider? Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Westpark = Lounge

Central = New renovated

Your choise!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, MR Gold, HH Gold
Need help - Le Meridian MUC or Westin Grand MUC

Am looking at a trip to MUC in March of 2011 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. I've read the master threads for these two properties but still can't decide between the two. I'm looking for feedback on which to choose. Both hotels are cat. 4. We will be there for 7 nights and will be doing day trips out to Salzburg, etc.
Items that are important to us:
Good and reasonably priced food at the hotel and/or nearby
A good day spa on-site or nearby
large bathroom that is well appointed (the wife's requirement)

We will have a rental car, so parking is important as well.
Thanks for any/all help/suggestions!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Did you spot LH738's summary of all the Munich hotels? I really how he presents the strengths and weaknesses of each property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.