Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
@BulaRae
You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but the OP should ask himself whether he should either trust the opinion of someone, who drove seven weeks through Europe or to people, who have been living in Germany for their whole life. Good luck with your travels!
Right. So if I'm visiting somewhere and renting a car, I should trust the opinion about driving the countryside of someone who never drives a car or maybe doesn't even own one because they live in the middle of the city and take trains and buses all the time.

I am so sick of the negative and harsh attitudes of so many here. What is wrong with you people? Why can't you all just be decent and nice and helpful and if you can't be, then don't say anything at all?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BulaRae
Right. So if I'm visiting somewhere and renting a car, I should trust the opinion about driving the countryside of someone who never drives a car or maybe doesn't even own one because they live in the middle of the city and take trains and buses all the time.
Interesting? How do you know?

Originally Posted by BulaRae
I am so sick of the negative and harsh attitudes of so many here. What is wrong with you people? Why can't you all just be decent and nice and helpful and if you can't be, then don't say anything at all?
This is certainly correct. It is amazing how some people react when clear advice is given (even with travel times and bus numbers) and a bunch of reasons is stated why there are differences in winterly travel habits between Germany.

And by the way: I lived in New York, but maybe keep in mind, that the great State of New York is by far bigger than the island of Manhattan and we know the winter pretty well. In the state of New York I always used to drive in winter because I had no alternative and most of the other drivers are familiar with the circumstances (and we rarely had a dangerous zero degree situation). However, different in Germany. And more: I was born and raised in the wonderful German countryside and I live in a nice rural suburb of a big German city - and I do so even in winter....
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: plenty
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Winter is different for several reasons: (a) plenty of Europeans are not used to drive under winterly conditions and you even see people with summer tyres.
Weird... I would have assumed that a LAWYER would know that winter tires are mandatory in Germany (and many other countries in Europe for that matter...)

If you come from abroad, like driving and have some experience with driving in winterly conditions, don't hesitate to rent a car in central Europe!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:43 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I've stayed at both and prefer the location of the LM - and would avoid renting a car except for a day trip out of town. To Salzburg I would take the train - you can get a Bayern Pass for up to 5 people for 28 euros. Just can't beat it.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: CX Gold, United Gold, BA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I will be in Munich for one night with my 14 year old son.
I have read this whole thread but need specific advice.
Please bear with me as i have little experience in Germany.
Here are my parameters:

1) Need to be near Arabellastrasse
2) Prefer to be near train station (train to Vienna)
3) I am a Plat
4) Want free breakfast
5) Want an exec lounge that will let my son in
6) Want a fitness center that will let my son in
7) Want an upgrade but to a nice room with 2 beds

Advice??? I am toying between Westin Grand and Sheraton Arabellastrasse.
Given the constraints above, what is my best move?
Thanks very much
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by truequant
I will be in Munich for one night with my 14 year old son. I have read this whole thread but need specific advice.
Please bear with me as i have little experience in Germany.
Here are my parameters:

1) Need to be near Arabellastrasse
2) Prefer to be near train station (train to Vienna)
3) I am a Plat
4) Want free breakfast
5) Want an exec lounge that will let my son in
6) Want a fitness center that will let my son in
7) Want an upgrade but to a nice room with 2 beds

Advice??? I am toying between Westin Grand and Sheraton Arabellastrasse.
Given the constraints above, what is my best move?
Thanks very much
The Sheraton Arabellapark should be okay for what you want.
  1. It is located directly on Arabellastrasse
  2. An underground train station (U4) is nearby (five minute walk). The U4 will take you directly to Munic main station in 11 minutes.
  3. Plat treatment is decent. I always got either a suite or a club floor upgrade on the two highest floors (22nd or 23rd)
  4. Free breakfast can be had in the Exec lounge
  5. If your son stays in the same room with you, that shouldn't be a problem
  6. Same as above
  7. I would request that in the comment section, when you book the hotel and again on checkin. They definitely have 2-bed rooms.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: Starwood, Star Alliance
which Starwood hotel - Munich June

using SPG pts for 4 nights in Munich. I prefer Le Meridien properties over Westin's but the Westin Grand has executive club level benefits available (free internet, cocktails, breakfast, snacks, etc) not offered at Le Meridien. Also think Sheraton may also.

Appreciate any suggestions which direction to go!
Old May 8, 2011, 4:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

colleen90405, welcome to FlyerTalk. Here's a thread comparing all the Starwood properties in Munich. I'm linking you into a great post that compares each property.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed at the Westin Grand a number of times and Le Meridien once. Location of Le Meridien is more central, next to the main train station. But the Westin Grand's Lounge is quite nice. It's a subway ride to anywhere in the city.

Others have commented that he Sheraton Arabella Park across the street from Westin Grand is also nice and more friendly to SPG Plat and the hours for the Lounge was longer for drinks in the evening. However, the Sheraton's lobby looked old and need renovation. When I was at the Westin Grand in April, there was renovation in the front entrance of the Sheraton. You might check if work is still ongoing and then decide.

Lounge is nice for mornings and evenings. That's why I would select Westin Grand or Sheraton Arabella Park over Le Meridien.

Why 4 nights on points? You get 5th night free when paying for 4. You may consider cash and points if only staying for 4.

Last edited by CIT85; May 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm Reason: Additional comment.
Old May 14, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
Originally Posted by CIT85
When I was at the Westin Grand in April, there was renovation in the front entrance of the Sheraton. You might check if work is still ongoing and then decide.
I stayed at the Sheraton in the end of April and the refurbishment of the lobby was completed. Also the new Microsoft Link Area was in working order.

The lobby looks much nicer and more stylish compared to the impression it left in my mind before the refurbishment.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA*S, A3*G, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hertz Five Star Gold
Best SPG property in Munich?

Hey guys,

I have a stay in Munich coming up and am currently debating between the Le Meridien or the Westin Grand. Haven't been to either, so any advise on those (or other SPG hotels in the city would be great). Also, which SPG has the best location in the city for sightseeing, the English Garden, etc.

Currently Gold, but will be completing my 18th night for the Plat challenge tomorrow .. so will be Plat by the time the trip starts.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:41 pm

I've only stayed at the Le Meridian in Munich. It was a nice property but nothing over the top either. It's right across the street from the main train station which is nice for either local subways or German trains. The area right around the hotel isn't the nicest, but some great stops within walking distance.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Nicer and cheaper hotel = Westin. Better location = LM
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
We stayed at the Westin last August and will be there again this August. It wins no prizes (in my book) for building design but our room (standard) was very nice and I'd guess newly refurbed. They have an excellent lounge if you make it to Plat before your stay or upgrade to a club room. Their beer garden was fairly nice but you should venture off to the English Garden for your beer and food experience. You can walk from the hotel - takes around 15 minutes to get to the garden and then another 15 mins or so to get to the big lake with its beer garden. Or you can hop on the tram for a few stops and then have a shorter walk to the lake. Town centre is also easily accessed by tram or train from the Westin. Sheraton is next door but I believe they may have closed their lounge.

Plenty of reviews of all Munich hotels in the hotels sticky.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite
Le Meridien is the place to be

and most attractions nearby. Ask for a room with garden view to avoid the street noice (little higher priced)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.