Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Cost is $35 or $43
$38 and $46 now.... Only changed this month but thought I would point out for reference.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
The Harbour Marriott used to be a different hotel chain and was converted to a Marriott....

On transportation from airport - years back there used to be a bus service...
Before rebranded as the Harbour Marriott it was a Renaissance where I've stayed right after the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Don't know if it was something else before the Renaissance.

Thanks for the great info on the transportation to/from the hotel. ^
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:04 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sydney Explorer tickets are also worth looking at as they include airport transfers and 3/5/7 day options including the popular explorer buses, the family option is great value if you have a large tribe in tow!

http://www.sydneybuses.info/uploads/...p_brochure.pdf

PLease enjoy your visit!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:42 pm

Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. They are particularly useful as a search of Sydney Marriott on this forum didnt reveal very much. Based on the replies I am going to stick with my present booking and not change to the one by the harbour. I dont think I can justify the extra GBP 50 a night. I'll let you know how I fare when I'm back in mid Feb.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, UA-Gold, HH-Diamond, MR-Plat, SPG-Plat
Some more on the Sydney Marriott

The original Marriott in Sydney, built in 1993 (I saw it during construction).
The Harbour Marriott used to be a different hotel chain and was converted to a Marriott. The Sydney Marriott may be too hip for the Marriott chain, so they likely took over the Harbour hotel to provide service to a more conservative clientele.

The Sydney Marriott has non-standard rooms - which include a large bathroom, corner tub, and large counter. Also has a kitchenette - sink, refrig, microwave, dishes, silverware, toaster, etc.

My view of the type of customers at each hotel:

1. Harbour Marriott - businessmen, negotiated corporate contracts, tourists, middle aged couples - cruise ship type, etc.

2. Sydney Marriott - younger, more hip crowd. More international crowd and Australian.

At the Sydney Marriott - Rooms are not that luxurious - pretty standard but large. Kitchen cabinets have been refinished in a darker stain (originally a lighter wood). New flat panel TVs, with new desk unit. Marriott style beds with comforters.

On transportation from airport - years back there used to be a bus service that ran along Oxford St to the airport - but with the opening of the new train stations at the airport the bus is no more. So the last several times I have taken a taxi from the airport to the Sydney Marriott. Taxi takes about 30 minutes and is in the $30-40 range.

However, last time I took the train from airport to Museum Station - just across the short end of Hyde Park - one block from the Marriott. If you are young enough to carry your luggage up two flights of stairs at the Museum Station (an older station with no lift) - then I would recommend the train.

Takes only about 12 minutes - 4th stop from Domestic terminal, and 5th stop from International terminal. Much quicker.

The train is normally about $14 AUD one way but if you plan to be in Sydney for say one week - I would recommend a one week travel pass - you can buy at the airport train station - there is an info booth at the baggage claim area.

Cost is $35 or $43 plus $16.60 for round trip from/to airport. The $43 includes ferry to Manly Beach. So about $50 or $58AUD. But gives you unlimited travel on ferries, trains, buses around town (the airport is the extra $16.60 for one round trip from/to the airport) for one week. You get a second card to use to enter and exit the airport station only. Otherwise you use the other fare card for the entire week.

You can also take the train from the Museum Station to Circular Quay - only the 2nd stop. So easy to get downtown during the day. The train stops around midnight.

Also - there are airline people that do stay at the Sydney Marriott as well.
Good Information here!! I am thinking I need to change my upcoming stay to Sydney Marriott now.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Marriott Platinum; Delta Flying Colonel
I have to say I like the Sydney Harbour Marriott better. You can't beat the location, about a block from Circular Quay. As a Platinum Rewards member, we are usually upgraded to a junior suite that has a separate living room with a half bath. The lounge is excellent and the concierge staff top-notch. If you have never been to Sydney, I would recommend this property because of its location.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Terrific information here, especially from cova. Will be at Sydney Marriott 6 nts in May. Looking forward to it.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:07 am

I recently did a mileage run to SYD and stayed 2 nts at Sydney Harbour.

Booked an Exec Level Cityview room because I couldn't imagine, as a Hilton Diamond/MR Nobody, being in SYD for the first time, without access to a lounge but with a guaranteed view if I happened to be assigned a crappy one. Really terrific location, great staff, nice lounge. The only "con", IMO, was the number of (fellow) Americans.

Sydney Bridge view from the lounge.

Opera House and harbour view from the lounge.

Flickr set

Next month, I have a stay at Sydney Marriott although not on an Exec Level. Won't have an "apples to apples" comparison. I should check again to see what rates are.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sydney Harbour. Stayed there for NYE a year ago - could not be better unless you were at the Hyatt. Staff was great, starbucks down the street, and most everything within walking distance.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Harbour Marriott. Location can't be beat. Circular Quay, the ferries, the Bridge, and the Opera House are all within easy walking distance. Plenty of stuff to see, eat, and do if you walk in the other direction too.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by boxo
Next month, I have a stay at Sydney Marriott although not on an Exec Level. Won't have an "apples to apples" comparison. I should check again to see what rates are.
Just returned from OZ and stayed a few nights at the Sydney Marriott. The room rate was considerably lower than the Habour Marriott. The rooms were okay, but not overly fancy/dressed up. However, the lounge was the highlight with good breakfasts (the pancake machine was popular) and very good assortment of quality evening canapes. Comp drinks, also.

Friendly staff and hotel is near the Museum train stop at Hyde Park ... a quick ride to CBD and relatively convenient to/from the airport.

Would definitely stay again ... if the rate was attractive.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
Thanks for the advice. I'll be using points for a 3 night stay in July. I have a side question. If I just book a "regular" room, basically without paying the cash upgrade, am I still allowed Lounge access ?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oneLnot2
If I just book a "regular" room, basically without paying the cash upgrade, am I still allowed Lounge access ?
As a Marriott gold I have always been upgraded to the exec floors with lounge access.

+1 for the harbour Marriott from me - a great hotel ^
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by boxo
Terrific information here, especially from cova. Will be at Sydney Marriott 6 nts in May. Looking forward to it.
I'm 2 nights from Silver. Aside from the 20% bonus points, would there be any benefit (at this specific property) of making Silver before my stay? I have the next 3 weeks to do so.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Pain and suffering. Personally I prefer Park Hyatt or InterContinental in Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.