Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We asked and were told that a single category upgrade was all they gave to plats. It was the one and only time my husband has ever called the desk after seeing the room. We were there five nights and the last night was our anniversary. It was disappointing but the treatment at the jw in hong kong, our next stop almost made up for it.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We asked and were told that a single category upgrade was all they gave to plats. It was the one and only time my husband has ever called the desk after seeing the room. We were there five nights and the last night was our anniversary. It was disappointing but the treatment at the jw in hong kong, our next stop almost made up for it.

What did the JW offer Vicki? Curious as our next stop is 140k points in the jw or 80k in the courtyard. Have stayed at the JW a few times, always got a harbour view room and some wine in the room on arrival.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
<deleted due to threads being merged> Now see post #58 for comments on Sydney Harbour Marriott remodel, drawer space and upgrades.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:29 am
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by cova
If you are Platinum you need to ask if an upgrade is available. In my case, the hotel was sold out the first night, but I requested to be moved the next night for 4 more nights. The new room was not available until 3pm - but I said I would wait rather than take something else.
I find that if you ask them in the Executive Lounge during breakfast, they will check on it, then let you know while you are still in the lounge or on the way out.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by cova
I suspect the owners fired Marriott since Marriott likley emphasised the Circular Quay location.
The Australian owners sold all their hotels to Accor.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Sydney Harbor Marriott vs Pier One Sydney Harbor

Planning a trip to Australia next year and was wondering which of the two Marriott hotels in Sydney people would recommend. I do have gold status and might possibly be platinum if that makes any difference.
Thank You
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM
I've been to Sydney 5 times in the last 3 years (just got home yesterday actually) and I've stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott a few times. Never been to the the Pier One location (it's fairly new), but it appears to have some really nice water views.

I doubt I would ever stay at the Pier One location, mainly because it's in an inconvenient location for access to restaurants and transportation (which is important if you don't have a car). Your best location for food/drinks will be The Rocks area which will be about 10 minutes walk.

The Marriott Harbour location is right next to Circular Quay where you can catch a ferry or train and get anywhere in Sydney you need to. And there are restaurants EVERYwhere. This area is a 20-minute walk from Pier One.

I think Pier One would be nice if you're looking for a little more peace/quiet with good water views and don't mind taking a bus/uber or walking a lot to get elsewhere. Otherwise, the Harbour location is my preference.

Have fun!
Travis
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Similar to the PP, I've only stayed at the Sydney Harbor Marriott. I'll echo his comments about the great location. We easily walked to the local sites. We were there before boarding a cruise and were able to simply walk (with all our luggage) from the hotel to the dock.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sydney Harbor hotel is in a great location with easy access to ferries and numerous restaurants
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
+1 to the Circular Quay hotel for the location. Cannot be beat especially if you're doing a once in a lifetime trip to Oz.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:48 pm

Agree with everyone about Marriott. When I was there a couple years ago, the lounge was quite nice, too, but apparently that's changed. The location is great. Also stayed at Park Hyatt - which I think Pier One is close to - and didn't like that location nearly as well.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by joetro
Agree with everyone about Marriott. When I was there a couple years ago, the lounge was quite nice, too, but apparently that's changed. The location is great. Also stayed at Park Hyatt - which I think Pier One is close to - and didn't like that location nearly as well.
I have an upcoming trip to Australia in less than a month. Based on the communication I've received from the Circular Quay Marriott manager, the lounge situation has changed from when it was on the 30th (or whatever) floor. I think it's now on 2 (that might be based on reading posts here), and they're still under construction at Circular Quay through February 2017.

Park Hyatt and Pier One are relatively close to each other, and further away from the Circular Quay.

I have stays at all three hotels coming up during December and January. I'll be sure to report back.

-mvitale
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have you considered either of the SPG properties (don't forget you can match your Marriott to SPG Gold/Plat and also transfer points between the two).

If you can get the Westin or Sheraton on the Park for P+C, that's a strong option. I stayed at the Sheraton in 2014 and really liked the location (it's literally right across from Hyde Park and it's maybe a 10 minute walk max to Circular Quay - it's also right near a number of restaurants and shops).

Haven't stayed at either Marriott property. Here's the thread on Pier One: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ollection.html
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Best location in Sydney?

I am looking at Marriott and Starwood properties in Sydney. All of the them in the central part of Sydney are about the same price in points or cash. Trip Advisor rates them all very close to each other. Does anyone have a clear favorite that you recommend? I'm currently booked at the Sheraton on the Park but the Westin, Marriott And Pier One are all available on my travel dates.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:27 pm

If your goal is to see traditional "tourist" Sydney the Marriott has the best location as it is minutes from the harbor, the Opera House and the Rocks. The SPG hotels are located somewhat further away and are more convenient to the Central Business District but are still easily walkable to the harbor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.