Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I prefer the Sydney Marriott. Have stayed there twice. I liked it's location better - right on Hyde Park. Short walk to several museums, shopping, the aquarium, etc. And just a short underground train ride to Circular Quay - to get to the ferries and the Opera House.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
If you're into the gay nightlife, the Sydney Marriott is ultra-convenient to the main Oxford Street venues (e.g., Midnight Shift, Stonewall, ARQ). I've stayed there many times and appreciated how close it was after a long night out on Oxford Street.

The rooms facing Hyde Park have the best views of the city, and rooms ending in 15 (corner rooms) have a view down to the Opera House (albeit quite a distance away, but you can still see it).
Old May 10, 2008, 1:10 am

The Sydney Harbour Marriott is your Hotel. I just wanted to add that they have one of the best Lunch and Seafood Dinner Buffets in Sydney. The last time I went (2007), the Lunch Buffet was $35AU and the highlight was all you can eat fresh oysters. The Seafood Dinner Buffet on Friday Nights is also fantastic. It's $75AU but the highlight is all you can eat lobster. That's pretty amazing for that price. Have fun.
Old May 10, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
They also have the wine add-on. For a fixed price you get all the wine you can drink to wash down the lobster. Another great value.

Plan on getting there early and spending a while!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Platinum, Marriott Time Share,DL, AA,US,UA,B6,SW
Sydney promo codes?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any discount codes I can use for Sydney. (Platinum member.) Leaving tomorrow and will be there the 30th. I need to make a reservation for at least two nights, maybe longer. Unfortunately, that includes New Years Eve.

Also, has anyone stayed at either of the Courtyard properties outside Sydney? I detest CY, but may have to bite the bullet. Are they any better overseas than they are here?

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:51 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
You won't find promos for New Years eve. The Sydney Harbour Marriott is sold out, so only the Sydney Marriott located off of Hyde park is available at a very inflated price of $500 for a low floor room, so no view of fireworks, not that you would have a very good view on higher floors. You probably would want to be outside somewhere down near the harbour for fireworks anyway. I don't know anything about Sydney CYs. The good news, is you do get about a 25% discount because of the strong US dollar.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 2:18 pm

What to expect at the Sydney Marriott

I'm staying at the Sydney Marriott at the end of the month. As a Marriott Gold card holder I am wondering what I can expect in terms of room upgrades and also if anyone has stayed recently what is the exec lounge like and what hours is it open?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:37 pm

As a Platinum, we were upgraded to an Opera House view room on the concierge level for the longer stay and then to a suite w/ an Opera House view on the shorter stay.

We loved the hotel, the location is perfect and the Concierge Louge is one of the best I've ever been to. I don't remember the hours.

Enjoy Sydney, my favorite city in the world!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Yes...really nice concierge lounge...one of the few that I actually had a very good breakfast at...I am a Platinum and also got a nice room...not sure how a Gold will fare.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by State fan
As a Platinum, we were upgraded to an Opera House view room on the concierge level for the longer stay and then to a suite w/ an Opera House view on the shorter stay.

We loved the hotel, the location is perfect and the Concierge Louge is one of the best I've ever been to. I don't remember the hours.

Enjoy Sydney, my favorite city in the world!
I believe the OP is staying at the Sydney Marriott, not the Sydney Harbour Marriott so your recommendation probably do not apply.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:13 am

Yes that's right I'll be staying in the Sydney Marriott the one opposite Hyde Park. It was another GBP50 a night to stay at the Sydney Harbour Marriott and so I ddint think it was worth the extra but would appreciate views as I'm still not too late to switch.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:23 pm

Well the Sydney Harbour Marriott is excellent. Great location for walking around The Rocks, Sydney Opera House, Botanical Gardens. Ferries, City rail, buses to various city destinations, and Sydney and Bondi Explorer buses are all a block away which means most of Sydney and surrounding area is only a 1 block walk away.

As mentioned the CL lounge is excellent with a very nice layout for breakfast, appetizers and dessert. Open 6 AM - midnight. Free WiFi in CL. I am sorry I cannot compare it to the Sydney Marriott as I have not frequented that property. A while back others made comments on both, perhaps if you did a search on Sydney you could find the answer you are looking for quicker than waiting for one of those rare people who have stayed at both properties to post a comparison.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Sydney Marriott (36 College St). I stayed at the Sydney Marriott in Feb for 3 days and 6 days in Dec 2008.

The lounge is excellent. As a gold you get access. Nothing special about rooms - rooms start on the 9th floor (office building below) and are the same all the way up. Pool, Gym, Sauna on the roof top with good views.

The lounge is on the 21st floor. Front and rear views (Hyde Park & Downtown and the Harbour out to the sea from the rear baloncy view). In Feb watched the QEII sail out to sea from the lounge balcony on its final voyage out of Sydney Harbour.

Free self pour cocktails, wine, sparkling wine, as well as beer and softdrinks and water. Friendly attendants. Good selection of food, salads, etc and deserts. The hot food items tend to be deep fried. Many arrive at 5:30pm when the food service begins - so they may run out of some items. The lounge is open to about 10pm and they usually keep the drinks open the entire evening. Good breaksfast selections as well.

You can access the lounge all day for soft drinks or water. Free WiFi - but no computers in the lounge.

The lounge is well worth it, and you might consider paying for an upgrade if you are not gold or Plat.

If you are a younger person, I think the Sydney Marriott would be preferred over the Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay. More night life around the corner on Oxford St. Plus right on the bus line to Bondi Beach.

Also - note that the Sydney Marriott has self serve laundry (washers/dryers) in the basement (garage level). Buy tokens at the front desk. About $5 AUD a load to wash or dry.

Last edited by cova; Jan 11, 2009 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I am sorry I cannot compare it to the Sydney Marriott as I have not frequented that property... waiting for one of those rare people who have stayed at both properties to post a comparison.
I am one of those. Sydney Marriott on the park is more elegant, better-appointed, less boisterous, higher-toned. It is owned by Australia's Sebel Group which runs a very well-kept stable of properties around the country under various brand names. The more expensive Sydney Harbour Marriott is in more of a crossroads area down at Circular Quay and has more of a brassy Hyatt Regency feel to it, with an atrium lobby and a lot of 24/7 bustle.

A lot of airline crews seem to lay over at the Harbour Marriott, but I didn't see any at the Hyde Park property.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Some more on the Sydney Marriott

The original Marriott in Sydney, built in 1993 (I saw it during construction).
The Harbour Marriott used to be a different hotel chain and was converted to a Marriott. The Sydney Marriott may be too hip for the Marriott chain, so they likely took over the Harbour hotel to provide service to a more conservative clientele.

The Sydney Marriott has non-standard rooms - which include a large bathroom, corner tub, and large counter. Also has a kitchenette - sink, refrig, microwave, dishes, silverware, toaster, etc.

My view of the type of customers at each hotel:

1. Harbour Marriott - businessmen, negotiated corporate contracts, tourists, middle aged couples - cruise ship type, etc.

2. Sydney Marriott - younger, more hip crowd. More international crowd and Australian.

At the Sydney Marriott - Rooms are not that luxurious - pretty standard but large. Kitchen cabinets have been refinished in a darker stain (originally a lighter wood). New flat panel TVs, with new desk unit. Marriott style beds with comforters.

On transportation from airport - years back there used to be a bus service that ran along Oxford St to the airport - but with the opening of the new train stations at the airport the bus is no more. So the last several times I have taken a taxi from the airport to the Sydney Marriott. Taxi takes about 30 minutes and is in the $30-40 range.

However, last time I took the train from airport to Museum Station - just across the short end of Hyde Park - one block from the Marriott. If you are young enough to carry your luggage up two flights of stairs at the Museum Station (an older station with no lift) - then I would recommend the train.

Takes only about 12 minutes - 4th stop from Domestic terminal, and 5th stop from International terminal. Much quicker.

The train is normally about $14 AUD one way but if you plan to be in Sydney for say one week - I would recommend a one week travel pass - you can buy at the airport train station - there is an info booth at the baggage claim area.

Cost is $35 or $43 plus $16.60 for round trip from/to airport. The $43 includes ferry to Manly Beach. So about $50 or $58AUD. But gives you unlimited travel on ferries, trains, buses around town (the airport is the extra $16.60 for one round trip from/to the airport) for one week. You get a second card to use to enter and exit the airport station only. Otherwise you use the other fare card for the entire week.

You can also take the train from the Museum Station to Circular Quay - only the 2nd stop. So easy to get downtown during the day. The train stops around midnight.

Also - there are airline people that do stay at the Sydney Marriott as well.

Last edited by cova; Jan 11, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.