Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by holtju2
Pain and suffering. Personally I prefer Park Hyatt or InterContinental in Sydney.
Care to elaborate?
Old May 16, 2009, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=cova;11056559]

The Sydney Marriott has non-standard rooms - which include a large bathroom, corner tub, and large counter. Also has a kitchenette - sink, refrig, microwave, dishes, silverware, toaster, etc.
So got a Priceline bid for this coming June for both 3 and 4 nights at $73.00 per night at the Sydney Marriott. I note the above room description and wonder what should be my reasonable expectations for a room? Have no status with Marriott, so what kind of pricing if any would be reasonable for the lounge access?

Second trip to Sydney with son age 16, with first trip our stay was at the Hilton on George Street. This miscellaneous information within this thread is quite helpful.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:45 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Macken7
Second trip to Sydney with son age 16, with first trip our stay was at the Hilton on George Street. This miscellaneous information within this thread is quite helpful.
What did you think of the Hilton? I'm trying to decide between the Hilton and one of the two Marriott properties. I have Gold status with both chains so am leaning towards one of the Marriotts for guaranteed lounge access.
Old May 17, 2009, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by gba
What did you think of the Hilton? I'm trying to decide between the Hilton and one of the two Marriott properties. I have Gold status with both chains so am leaning towards one of the Marriotts for guaranteed lounge access.
We were at the Hilton 4 years ago on an award stay as a Gold. I found the lounge to be really nice. I would have no problems going back there. This time there was no availability. It should be noted that the Hilton FT board does have those who are not happy with this Hilton. It goes back to the same routine of reading the various comments for each location and making the best decision you can. Enjoy Sydney.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=Macken7;11760466]
Originally Posted by cova

So got a Priceline bid for this coming June for both 3 and 4 nights at $73.00 per night at the Sydney Marriott. I note the above room description and wonder what should be my reasonable expectations for a room? Have no status with Marriott, so what kind of pricing if any would be reasonable for the lounge access?

The rooms are nice, clean, standard rooms. I believe they would charge an extra $100AUD for lounge access for two. Does have free drinks, wine, food, etc. And you can get beverages all day in the lounge.

If you are a family with younger children - you might be better down at Circular Quay Marriott. Then you are next to the harbor and can take several ferries out on day trips. Mostly tourist type restaurants and business men type restaurants. And you are in the middle of the tourist area. You can walk to the Opera House and the Rocks and downtown shops are not too far away.

If you are young (in your 20's/30's) and like to go out to nightclubs, bars, etc, then stay at the Sydney Marriott. I do not recall ever seeing people with children stay at the Sydney Marriott - it is pretty much an adult locaton. Oxford St. still is just around the corner. If you are young, trendy, straight or gay - this is the place to be at night. Nice roof top pool and gym with great views. But you are across the park and a 15 minute walk to downtown shops. At the Sydney Marriott you can walk around to Oxford St and there is a grocery store - so could get some things for breakfast etc to have in the room if you do not have lounge access. There is a sink, refrig and microwave + dishes.

Also at the Sydney Marriott - they have coin laundry in the basement. You get tokens at the front desk. Also they have 3 internet terminals in the lobby business center area. (none in the lounge). Best deal for internet is the 24 hours of access time - good over a 7 day period - for about $25AUD. Best deal. They have $15AUD for about 2 hours - but if you are there for 7 days - get the 24 hour deal - but you need to ask for the 24 hour access code card - they do not offer it - they only list the 30 minute and 2 hour rates.

Another thing at the Sydney Marriot (it is owned by another company and managed by Marriott - like many other Marriott) - but if you have the Marriott Premier Visa Card and get the 5X points - this Marriott somehow is not coded properly and when you get your Visa bill - you only get 1X the points - since it does not recognize it as a Marriottt - eventhough the line item says Marriott. Somehow they are coding it internally as a charge to the owner. So you will need to call Chase to get this adjusted. This has happened to me three time in the last 3 stays over the last 18 months.

Last edited by cova; May 17, 2009 at 10:20 pm
Old May 18, 2009, 9:27 am

[QUOTE=cova;11764934]

The rooms are nice, clean, standard rooms. I believe they would charge an extra $100AUD for lounge access for two. Does have free drinks, wine, food, etc. And you can get beverages all day in the lounge.

If you are a family with younger children - you might be better down at Circular Quay Marriott. Then you are next to the harbor and can take several ferries out on day trips. Mostly tourist type restaurants and business men type restaurants. And you are in the middle of the tourist area. You can walk to the Opera House and the Rocks and downtown shops are not too far away.

If you are young (in your 20's/30's) and like to go out to nightclubs, bars, etc, then stay at the Sydney Marriott. I do not recall ever seeing people with children stay at the Sydney Marriott - it is pretty much an adult locaton. Oxford St. still is just around the corner. If you are young, trendy, straight or gay - this is the place to be at night. Nice roof top pool and gym with great views. But you are across the park and a 15 minute walk to downtown shops. At the Sydney Marriott you can walk around to Oxford St and there is a grocery store - so could get some things for breakfast etc to have in the room if you do not have lounge access. There is a sink, refrig and microwave + dishes.

Also at the Sydney Marriott - they have coin laundry in the basement. You get tokens at the front desk. Also they have 3 internet terminals in the lobby business center area. (none in the lounge). Best deal for internet is the 24 hours of access time - good over a 7 day period - for about $25AUD. Best deal. They have $15AUD for about 2 hours - but if you are there for 7 days - get the 24 hour deal - but you need to ask for the 24 hour access code card - they do not offer it - they only list the 30 minute and 2 hour rates.

Another thing at the Sydney Marriot (it is owned by another company and managed by Marriott - like many other Marriott) - but if you have the Marriott Premier Visa Card and get the 5X points - this Marriott somehow is not coded properly and when you get your Visa bill - you only get 1X the points - since it does not recognize it as a Marriottt - eventhough the line item says Marriott. Somehow they are coding it internally as a charge to the owner. So you will need to call Chase to get this adjusted. This has happened to me three time in the last 3 stays over the last 18 months.
Well I assume you mean $100AUD in total for the week, which would be a good deal as our main interest would be to start the day off with a good breakfast and miscellaneous water/soft drinks. The evening food service based upon our past experiences we will miss most of the time as we will still be out, when it starts.

^ on the internet, grocery store and coin laundry stuff info. Any interesting eating places nearby? Our mandatory eating stops will be the Australian Hotel with kangaroo pizza for my son and prawns for me, along with a trip to the fish market for the morton bay bugs. Not high end dining, but great father/son stuff, that we both shared and remembered from our previous trip.
Also, have to find out if they still have the Friday night seafood thing with all the lobster you can eat at the Mariott Harbor mentioned in another thread.

We will have the weekly pass for the transportation system starting out from the Museum stop to get around.

OK gotcha on the location with the adult emphasis. He is 16 with still one foot in sort of a kid status and then one foot as sort of an adult status. We live right outside the city of Boston, so things will not be a totally cultural shock to him. It is a Priceline thing, so can't change it at this date anyway.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:32 am

We were at the Hilton 4 years ago on an award stay as a Gold. I found the lounge to be really nice. I would have no problems going back there. This time there was no availability. It should be noted that the Hilton FT board does have those who are not happy with this Hilton. It goes back to the same routine of reading the various comments for each location and making the best decision you can. Enjoy Sydney.
Also, they had three complimentary fast computers in the lounge. We found the breakfast to be great, although we missed the evening stuff most of the time because we were still out.
Old May 18, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=Macken7;11766849]
Originally Posted by cova

Well I assume you mean $100AUD in total for the week, which would be a good deal as our main interest would be to start the day off with a good breakfast and miscellaneous water/soft drinks. The evening food service based upon our past experiences we will miss most of the time as we will still be out, when it starts.

OK gotcha on the location with the adult emphasis. He is 16 with still one foot in sort of a kid status and then one foot as sort of an adult status. We live right outside the city of Boston, so things will not be a totally cultural shock to him. It is a Priceline thing, so can't change it at this date anyway.
No, it would be $100AUD per day. I suggest you just get some breakfast food to have in the room. Cereal, juice, rolls etc. They have a coffee maker, microwave, toaster, sink, dishes, etc. so you can make tea, etc. You can also get snack food and bottles of water to carry around from the grocery store around the corner.

Unless you want to sit up in the lounge for a couple of hours every night and drink a bottle of wine or champagne - you likely would not get your money's worth for the $100 per day.

On the bar scene, a 16 year would not be able to get in any bars - they all check for ID and are very strict. There are ethnic restaurants on Oxford st, Indian, Thai, etc. But 16 year olds these days are a lot more street wise.

Also do not forget China town. There is a very good Chinese food court (2nd floor) on Sussex St in the heart of Chinatown, about 5 blocks over across the park.

Restaurants down by the harbor, Rocks, etc are expensive.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 9:48 pm

How much better?

Read through the thread and it seems most prefer the Harbour over the Sydney Marriott. I'm looking at both but the Harbour Marriott is a bit more $$. Any suggestions on how much more it's worth?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by lookin4miles
Read through the thread and it seems most prefer the Harbour over the Sydney Marriott. I'm looking at both but the Harbour Marriott is a bit more $$. Any suggestions on how much more it's worth?
Your question is valid.

I just returned from the Harbor Marriott, and the location was fantastic. Given what you are likely spending for flights and other things, I suggest that as much as an extra $100 is reasonable. Simply, the location allowed me to make better use of limited time.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I stayed at both when I was in Sydney. Just wanted to add my vote for the Sydney Harbour Marriott. Fully stocked executive lounge bar :-) with wifi, great staff, and if I remember correctly the lounge always had food and/or snacks.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Sydney Marriott and as Platinum got upgraded to the executive level. I thought the hotel was nice. Staff is friendly, rooms are okay, internet access is ridiculously priced (55 cents a minute), executive lounge is excellent and open 24 hours for drinks and cookies. On weekends you get to eat at their weekend champagne brunch buffet served in their restaurant since the lounge isn't open for breakfast on the weekends.

In terms of location the Sydney Harbour Marriott is closer to the Circular Quay and Rocks area whereas the Sydney Marriott is quite a walk away. If you don't have much time in Sydney or don't like to walk a lot or take public transportation (there's a free CBD shuttle during the day) than you'd probably be better off at the Sydney Harbour Marriott. I was in Sydney for 7 nights and the Sydney Marriott worked out nicely for me. It's closer to Chinatown and the Darling Harbour area.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:47 pm

We stayed at Marriott Sydney Harbour Mid June on points stay.
As a gold member I was upgraded to executive city view room, and was charged $50 AUD extra per day for Executive Opera View room(not suite).
I was wondering if this was consistent with what other golds experienced?
Brother in law stayed last year and as a platinum was given Opera View Suite., which he said was awesome!

Executive lounge was excellent, and had a great variety of food. We got discount coupons from lounge concierge for Nicks Restaurant, which was nice. Get there early as lounge gets crowded, was filled with a lot of airline pilots when we were there.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I booked my daughter and her friend into the Sydney Harbour Marriott 23-28 Dec on my MR points. I have a few questions:

1) Since I'm a plat, will she and her friend have access to the lounge?
2) How much is internet access? Do they have complimentary access in the lounge?
3) Is it worth it to get a Smartvisit Card with transport? Can she get one in the Sydney Airport upon arrival?
4) Does anyone have an e-mail address to contact the Sydney Harbour Marriott?
5) Any recommendations for an inexpensive hotel for them to stay at 22-23 Dec?

... any other recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I booked my daughter and her friend into the Sydney Harbour Marriott 23-28 Dec on my MR points. I have a few questions:

1) Since I'm a plat, will she and her friend have access to the lounge?
2) How much is internet access? Do they have complimentary access in the lounge?
3) Is it worth it to get a Smartvisit Card with transport? Can she get one in the Sydney Airport upon arrival?
4) Does anyone have an e-mail address to contact the Sydney Harbour Marriott?
5) Any recommendations for an inexpensive hotel for them to stay at 22-23 Dec?

... any other recommendations greatly appreciated.
1) Technically, no. However, if you booked online and used your #, she may be extended your benefits. This is not policy, but it does happen a lot.
2) Internet is expensive in room, but free in the lounge. If they don't get upgraded, they can pay a charge to get lounge access. I'm not sure of the charge, but you can call the hotel and ask.
3) That's up to you. I don't. Not sure if you can get at airport.
4) Call them. That works best. Fax would be second option.
5) No.

Also consider buying gift cards at a 10% discount to pay for incidentals. Also note that this hotel charges something like 1.5% for a visa transaction fee. This has been discussed elsewhere.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.