Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2002, 12:29 am

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
In sydney , Marriott or Rennaissance?

to all the well travelled folks to the land down under? which property offer the best all around service? for example room size, restaurants, easy access to shopping, walking distance to major points of interest,another word more bang for your money?
Old Jul 3, 2002, 1:55 am

I just stayed at the Renaissance a few weeks ago. It was great! We got upgraded to Opera House view, and were on the 29th floor with Executive Lounge on the 30th. We had no problem checking in at 8AM, even though checkin time is around 2PM. The location is unbeatable. Its a one minute walk to the ferry area, with great views of the opera house and bridge (which are three-five min walks from that point). There is also a bus station there, as well as a train/subway/lightrail/thing station. The breakfast in the executive lounge was pretty good for being an executive lounge. And the breakfast down in the restraunt (buffett as well) was also great. I'd highly recommend it, although I don't know anything about the Marriott. Check out this board for more info on the two.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 6:52 am

The Marriott is a ways away from all the good things the previous post described. Renaissance is your best choice without quesiton.

[This message has been edited by ual1k (edited 07-03-2002).]
Old Jul 3, 2002, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Have also a look at the Park Hyatt. It seems to be one of the best choices in town and during the summer months they have a promotion going on. No MR points however. Opera House view available.

Muerz
Old Jul 4, 2002, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
We stayed at the Marriott for a week, in November, and we loved it. Great concierge lounge. Made decision because I had family of 4, and based on the web, there isn't any room at the Renaissance which allows 4 people. (We actually negotiated with the Marriott, in advance, and had a confirmed upgrade to Suite by paying the difference.)
Old Jul 5, 2002, 8:55 pm

I strongly agree with the recommendation for the Renaissance over the Marriott! The location just can't be beat. Only caveat is that upgrades for gold and platinum are not always available.

------------------
AA 2MM, MR Silver
Old Jul 5, 2002, 9:59 pm

I stayed at the Renaissance from June 19-23. Room 2005 was equipped with two smallish double beds, but had a very nice view of the Opera House. Service was very good, and one breakfast in the 2nd floor restaurant was tasty. Weird elevator positioning in the hotel. Interesting looking health club. Lousy electronic key cards for the doors. Lousy cable TV. Reminded me of other 15 year old Marriott properties -- nice, but not 5 star.

Circular Quay is only about 1.5 blocks away, and The Rocks only a block beyond that. The AMP tower is about 8 blocks away (massive shopping area), and Chinatown 3-4 blocks beyond that. Darling Harbor (museums, convention center, and aquarium) is a $7AUD cab ride away.

Transportation to the airport is $28AUD via taxi or $10AUD on the train.

I highly recommend the Blue Bondi Express bus that leaves every 30 minutes from Circular Quay. Stay on the bus until you get to Watson's Bay. The walking paths in the national park there were the best part of my trip. Spectacular views. Stay on the bus again until Bondi Beach stop. There's a few good lunch spots along there. $25AUD.

The Captain Cook 'Coffee Cruise' that leaves from Circular Quay is also excellent for sightseeing.

Wolfie's restaurant at the Rocks was very good. Excellent service & food for the money. Don't miss dessert. Doyle's in the Overseas Passenger Terminal (Rocks) wasn't what I expeced, but it was still very tasty. They have 5-6 kinds of fish, served fried or grilled, with fries or other potatoes and 3-4 other entrees involving lobsters, etc. The best fish & chips I ever ate, but the cost was $30AUD per person with fries and Diet Coke.

Paddy's Market (Near Chinatown) has lots of knock-off clothing items, electronics, and produce. The top floor has an excellent Asian food court. The Vietnamese place at the entrance was tasty and dirt cheap.

King's Cross is the red light district. Don't let the touts convince you! All of the strip clubs are terrible. The no-tipping policy should explain everything. Great place for dirt cheap late night snacking.

The shark tank at the Aquarium is absolutely amazing. 8' sharks of several varieties and a Ray that looks like a Full sized black velour blanket. Huge!

The ship & submarine at the Maritime Museum were decommissioned fairly recently, and are very interesting.

The trip to the top of the AMP tower was cool at night. The virtual relaity show they include in the package is a little boring at first, but the end is excellent.

The Powerhouse Museum (Science & Industry) is interesting if you have time. It's across the park from Darling Harbor.

I think the Renaissance is placed perfectly. The only other hotels I noticed that were in great locations were the Hilton on Pitt Street near the AMP tower, The Novotel at Darling Harbor (I don't know what it's like inside) and the Park Hyatt., which is directly on the harbor in the shadow of the Harbor Bridge (awesome).

There's a great convenience store 50 yards out the front of the hotel, with cheap snacks and $2.50AUD fast internet access for 15 minutes.

I only saw the Marriott from a moving bus. It looked nice, but not in a good location for exploring the city on foot.

Feel free to e-mail me -- if anyone has any questions. [email protected]
Old Jul 5, 2002, 11:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Renaissance (stayed january 2000) way before the Marriott (stayed january 1999) for location /scenery and breakfast buffet.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold Member ,Avis Preferred, DL SKYCLUB
i would like to take this time out to say thanks to everyone who replied to my sydney and seoul marriott or renaissance stay.
after reading all the post i think it is now safe to make my choice.

in sydney the choice is RENAISSANCE
in seoul the choice is MARRIOTT.

thanks again!!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2002, 9:31 am

I have made reservation for a quality room (city view) at the Renaissance. If I use the upgrade option, what room will I be upgraded to? Or should I simply pay the $40 a night and get a Harbour View room?
Old Jul 20, 2002, 1:32 pm

You will most likely be upgraded to a Harbour view room. I did initially put down the deposit for the $40 per night to upgrade, but then they upgraded me at Checkin, and said they would do it for free. At checkout the charges were of course there, but it just took a minute or two of "conversing" to get them off
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:54 pm

Marriotts in Sydney, Australia?

I was just wondering if anyone could provide some feedback and/or reviews of either the Marriott Sydney or the Renaissance Sydney. I would greatly appreciate it as I am planning a trip to Australia next September and I want to use certificates. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 4:35 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001819.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001404.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001367.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001168.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000658.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000562.html
Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
The Renaissance will by the way be rebranded and a Marriott, I believe the Sydney Harbour Marriott in the very near future. Also see: http://www.marriottnewsroom.com/Main...sion=&region=1

Muerz
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:00 am

Hotel Help in Sydney

I'll be in Sydney for two weeks at the end of the month. The hotel the team is staying at is the Sebel Pier One, which as far as I can tell, is not affiliated with any of the major chains, which means no points. Can anybody recommend a Marriot close by that I can stay at?

Thanks much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.