Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Am logging on from the Harbour Marriott and can only rave about the property. It's an incredible location within a few hundred feet of Circular Quay, the main ferry pier + bus and light rail station, and then another short walk right to the Opera House. Got a city view room and compared to the other Marriott's I've been in recently as nicely if not more well appointed. The location also within walking distance of the Rocks, a historic area a 10 minute walk from Circular Quay well worth a prolonged visit.

Some might disagree but to me the $5 AUD for 30 min. online access wasn't as high as I've experienced elsewhere, including in the EU.

So, all in all, a very memorable visit at a splendid hotel. I'm staying the next 4 nights at the sister property, the Sydney Marriott, so will see how they compare.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:54 am

Another day, another Marriott. Well, almost. Having spent a night or two at the Marriott Sydney impressed for the most part though I think there are areas for improvement, including the safety chains on the door. Last nite a housekeeping staffer walked into my room after a quick knock, much to my surprise fumbling for the TV remote. After that encounter, looked and there is no little chain on the inside or deadbolt either for that matter to secure the door. Aren't these little chains standard on every other hotel? They should be added here also as they might prevent unwanted encounters in-room.

Also, saw no staffers anywhere near the pool/fitness area the two times I was up there. It's quite nice, even if the weather wasn't that hot I still went for a quick dip.

Nice room with smallish sofa and largish king bed. My room on 18th floor and has nice view overlooking Hyde Park in central Sydney. Also a neat little kitchenette in-room unsual for a Marriott.

Pretty positive stay so far. ^
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: UA-1K, MR-PP, *wood Gold, Hertz Gold
Last time I was in SYD we stayed at the Hyde Park since we could not get into the Harbour MAR.

I remember the lounge staff being among the best I have ever encountered--the manager found out that I did not like Pepsi (a Coke fan here) so he send someone out to the store and had a case of Coke purchased for me. He also packed up a little lunch and water for us to go out on our daily excursions.

The Concerige was also extremely helpful, even stopping by on his off day to insure that one of our tours had been setup correctly.

The pool/spa on the roof also offers great view of the city.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:27 am

A few last notes about the Marriott Sydney; I dunno if it was an upgrade for this lowly MR Silver in low season down here, but was given an 18th floor room with a nice big bathroom, including huge triangular shaped tub, a sofa and impressive view overlooking Hyde Park. ^

Being further away could present a problem if all you wanted to see & do was at or near Circular Quay/Opera House area, as this hotel a few miles uptown. However, I would recommend anyone staying for any length of time to invest in a transit pass which covers the buses & ferries and minimizes the location downside to Marriott Sydney.

Would I stay here at the same rate as the Harbour Marriott? Probably not. However if the price is much less, I would in a Sydney minute as I found the quality between the hotels not terribly different. Now, that's just my impression and my leisure stay may be quite different than someone staying on business.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Gold; Avis First
Marriott-family hotels in Sydney, Australia

I'm looking at booking a 6 night stay in Sydney in September (reward stay) for the wife and me. Both of the downtown Sydney Marriotts are available, so we're having trouble deciding which one to choose. They are pretty close together, so location isn't much of issue. It seems to come down to amenities (one has an outdoor pool/the other an indoor). Does anyone have a strong preference for either? Why do you prefer one over the other?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi Markoh,
Have you visited Sydney before? I'm just trying to anticipate what you might want to do when you are here.

The original Sydney Marriott is across from Hyde Park and is a very pleasant outlook. You can get to Circular Quay via the Museum underground train station, which is underneath the park. The rooftop pool is pleasant enough (but this was a long time ago). Proximity to Oxford St could be good or bad, depending on if you like busy streets.

The Harbour Marriott (ex-Renaissance) is arguably a better location as a base for sightseeing and only a walk from many dining and entertainment options around the Quay.

I'd take the latter, based on what I have read here and on other traveller review sites, because the quality and range of things to do nearby is so much better. While relatively close, I'd save the time and hassle and stay next to the action, kind of like NYC (a stretch, but you know what I mean).
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:44 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=sydney
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=sydney
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Gold; Avis First
I have been to Sydney before on business, but the wife has not. I stayed in the Vibe, which is a strange little hotel just north of the harbour bridge.

We'll definitely be using the ferries to hit Manley, the aquarium, etc., so that, coupled with the recommendations from the other thread has me leaning towards the harbour Marriott.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Yup, Harbour Marriott, no doubt. 5 minutes from the train/bus/ferry and a short walk to the Rocks/Opera House/Botanical Gardens. Great lounge staff. We had trouble there, but it had nothing to do with the location. Still would recommend it for an uncomplicated stay. Be sure to get a Sydney Pass at the tour desk at the SYD arrivals level. If not loaded with luggage, the train is an easy/cheap ride. With 3 weeks worth (for us), it was a bit more difficult.

Enjoy the trip!

Pat
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Harbour Marriott for sure...better location, great lounge with pleasant staff...one of my best Marriott vacation experiences.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AL MVP Gold, MR Plat, HH Silver
Without a doubt the Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay...
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Using the search facility, I found many mentions of the SH Marriott in the 'best exec lounge' thread.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I found the lounge staff to be much less than pleasant, but it's a great location.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:05 pm

Location, location, location; gotta go with Sydney Harbour Marriott. ^

I stayed at both hotels each for 4 nights last June and while the Sydney Marriott was still nice, being a few hundred metres away from Circular Quay and Opera House heaps more central. I had a better overlooking the park at Sydney Marriott but that still wound't have swayed me if I were to vote for a preference of both.

BTW, maybe worth mentioning that since it was low season at check in at Sydney Harbour Marriott I was offered a nice view room than the one I had for another AUD$50 per night. It's been a while and I don't recall whether it was Opera House view or not, but I declined preferring to spend the money climbing the bridge and seeing Sydney rather than sitting in my room. But to each their own.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:46 pm

Marriott Harbour, particularly if you will have access to the exec lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.