Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I just stayed at Pier One for the first time, having stayed at the Marriott a half dozen times on previous stays. Both hotels have their pluses and minuses.

If you're looking for quaint, homey, longer walks to ferries, trains, and buses and less city centre then go with the Pier One. If you want a lounge, like city centre hustle and bustle and shorter walks to ferries, trains, and buses then choose Marriott.

Construction
Marriott steel and reinfroced concrete
Pier One frame contruciton a bit of give in the floors and occassional creaks from above.

Upgrades
For my Marriott stays I was upgraded to a suite once, and to the executive level a couple times (no longer an issue since EL is on 2nd floor), and to a room with Harbour Bridge view at least 3 times and Opera House view once.
Pier One I was upgrade to a room with a water view.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 29, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the comparison. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Sydney Harbour versus Sheraton on the Park versus Pier One

Trying to decide which one to book.

I know the locations as we have been in Sydney 6 or 7 times with the last visit being in Winter (their winter) of 2016 to revisit Vivid Sydney. We usually split our stays between The Rock / Circular Quay and Darling Harbour (where there are some amazing Chinese seafood restaurants).

The reviews on Trip Advisor favor SOTP. From the pictures it seems SOTP recent renovation included rooms while Marriott did not, just the public area.

Would also want to find out the quality of the lounges.

If anyone has stayed at both porperties and can provide some pro and con, comparison etc would be very much appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I always stay Sheraton. Trying Marriott for first time in several weeks. Will report back.

I like Sheraton though haven't been there since renovation. I stayed I think a week before renov started. A little old then but still nice.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:07 pm

In terms of rooms SOTP would win hands down. The refurbished rooms at SOTP are really nice. My last stay there I got a Suite facing Hyde Park and I liked that location better than Circular Quay.

However I prefer the Marriott lounge to the SOTP. Don't get me wrong SOTP has a good lounge but it is crowded all the time. The layout of the lounge is not the greatest with long corridors and tables really close to each other. It was so crowded when I was there they had to open up the conference room for people to sit and even then people had to wait. Also drinks (even non-alcoholic) has to be ordered from the attendants which is a pain.

SOTP: Rooms and location
Marriott: Lounge
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about the quality of the offerings at the lounges, other than the crowded situation?

SOTP rooms do look much more pleasing than the Marriott rooms from the pictures. Also agree on location for return visitors.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:59 pm

I've stayed at both properties and Sheraton would be the hotel of my choice upon return. Bigger and nicer rooms, better location, better fitness centre.

The lounge at Marriott does have great views of the bridge and opera house if you can snag a table by the window. Food offerings are pretty good in evenings but I found the breakfast pretty basic.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Timely -- currently booked at the Marriott for next week but SOTP is showing as the same price now.

Have stayed at SOTP, never at the Marriott -- first time for my wife in Sydney so debating which would be betterLooks like the pre-upgraded room (as PP) is Deluxe City View @ Marriott or City View King @ SOTP

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Timely -- currently booked at the Marriott for next week but SOTP is showing as the same price now.

Have stayed at SOTP, never at the Marriott -- first time for my wife in Sydney so debating which would be betterLooks like the pre-upgraded room (as PP) is Deluxe City View @ Marriott or City View King @ SOTP
Being in Sydney many times, I suspect the City View of Marriott is nothing but the office buildings looking at the direction of CBD.
The City View at SOTP might still get you a glimpse of the greenery nearby.

Renovated rooms definitely look much nicer than those at Marriott which is a very dated hotel. But its location would be more impressive for first time visitors given the proximity to Opera House, the walk along the park all the way to Mrs. Mcquirie's Chair. It is a very pleasant walk other than in the midst of Summer.

Unfortunately for me, I thought about booking hotels at Sydney too late, so SOTP is only available for one day in the middle of a 3 to 4 days stay when we wrap up our trip on way back to US. It seems constantly having less availability than either the Marriott or the Westin, i.e. being a more popular redemption option.
I may make a one night stay at SOTP sandwiched by one night each at Marriott - just leave the bags (carryon only anyway) at Marriott and take an overnight bag with us to spend night at SOTP just to check it out.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 11, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Being in Sydney many times, I suspect the City View of Marriott is nothing but the office buildings looking at the direction of CBD.
The City View at SOTP might still get you a glimpse of the greenery nearby.

Renovated rooms definitely look much nicer than those at Marriott which is a very dated hotel. But its location would be more impressive for first time visitors given the proximity to Opera House, the walk along the park all the way to Mrs. Mcquirie's Chair. It is a very pleasant walk other than in the midst of Summer.

Unfortunately for me, I thought about booking hotels at Sydney too late, so SOTP is only available for one day in the middle of a 3 to 4 days stay when we wrap up our trip on way back to US. It seems constantly having less availability than either the Marriott or the Westin, i.e. being a more popular redemption option.
I may make a one night stay at SOTP sandwiched by one night each at Marriott - just leave the bags (carryon only anyway) at Marriott and take an overnight bag with us to spend night at SOTP just to check it out.
Hmmm yeah -- we're only there for one night, might stick with the Marriott then given proximity to Opera House -- I'll be back in October anyway for work and am staying at the SOTP for that trip so can do my own comparison of the two
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I know this isn't one of the original two being compared...but I recently checked out all 4 properties (SOTP, Marriott, Westin, and Pier One [Autograph Collection]) in Sydney and Pier One wins hands down.

SOTP felt dated to me; the lounge was busy and I hated having to have an attendant do every drink versus just grabbing it yourself. Also, the lounge manager mentioned they have at least 50 Platinums stay there every night during a work week and even some weekends - so take that as you will for VIP treatment and upgrades. Really cool that the lounge has outdoor balconies, though

The Westin has a much smaller and more private lounge that seems to be used less. There is an attendant but you can take your own stuff. They also have COKE PRODUCTS! Service was impeccable but very few suites available

The Marriott had great service too, but their lounge is on the 2nd floor - limiting view - compared to much higher lounges at SOTP and The Westin, which offer better views. Upgrades also seemed tougher at the Marriott, for some reason. I also didn't care for the immediate vicinity of the Marriott given all the construction and such, but it's maybe 2 blocks walking from Circular Quay

Pier One was my hands down favorite. Sure, it lacks a lounge - but they offer an amazing choice of food welcome amenities - it is such a boutique property with excellent service - and the views and location right under the Harbour Bridge in the rocks area cannot be beat. They also don't seem to have many folks with status as I received amazing upgrades, including to their Presidential suite. Can't say enough good things about this property - skip the other cookie cutter brands you know from everywhere else and stay here. The breakfast has coolers full of fancy juices, every variety of organic milk you can find, barista coffee service, etc. Really good.
travelista likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the additional information on Westin and Pier One. I read somewhere someone did not like Pier One after staying at Pier One and Marriott - I guess different stroke suits different people as the cliche says.
Westin is further closer to the CBD at Martin place. It is really just an urban city hotel for business travelers, similar to the Hilton in my mind.

How is the Pier One location in relation to Park Hyatt ? I am trying from my memory to no avail on the location as pinned by Google Map. Can't remember if it is on the top of a small hill or not. I believe we walked out that direction once years ago when we stayed at Park Hyatt long before its renovation. So it is at least quite some years ago. We have not walked that far out ever since.

PIX posted on TA about the surrounding is indeed a much better surrounding than that of Marriott! But I am not sure about their standard rooms especially those with exposed beams and such...
However the suites with wooden patios over the water are definitely very nice. I would say better than the Park Hyatt opera view room with balcony.

Universal good marks on their breakfast buffet. Assuming this is among the Plat amenities.

I notice Pier One rates would go down quite a bit at close in. Seems very good value if one can take advantage of such versus using points.

P.S.
On TA some said the AC system is not strong enough for Summer heat. That would be an issue for our stay in Nov.

But your post now makes me seriously consider Pier One over the other 2 properties.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 11, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I know this isn't one of the original two being compared...but I recently checked out all 4 properties (SOTP, Marriott, Westin, and Pier One [Autograph Collection]) in Sydney and Pier One wins hands down.
d.
5 now with the new Four Points open, looks a great property, only Cat.4 too so a great use for those with travel pakage certs to use up! (Can’t see it staying a cat.4 for long).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the additional information on Westin and Pier One. I read somewhere someone did not like Pier One after staying at Pier One and Marriott - I guess different stroke suits different people as the cliche says.
Westin is further closer to the CBD at Martin place. It is really just an urban city hotel for business travelers, similar to the Hilton in my mind.

How is the Pier One location in relation to Park Hyatt ? I am trying from my memory to no avail on the location as pinned by Google Map. Can't remember if it is on the top of a small hill or not. I believe we walked out that direction once years ago when we stayed at Park Hyatt long before its renovation. So it is at least quite some years ago. We have not walked that far out ever since.

PIX posted on TA about the surrounding is indeed a much better surrounding than that of Marriott! But I am not sure about their standard rooms especially those with exposed beams and such...
However the suites with wooden patios over the water are definitely very nice. I would say better than the Park Hyatt opera view room with balcony.

Universal good marks on their breakfast buffet. Assuming this is among the Plat amenities.

I notice Pier One rates would go down quite a bit at close in. Seems very good value if one can take advantage of such versus using points.

P.S.
On TA some said the AC system is not strong enough for Summer heat. That would be an issue for our stay in Nov.

But your post now makes me seriously consider Pier One over the other 2 properties.
Pier One is in a better location for views that the Park Hyatt. It's maybe a 10 minute walk between the two. Pier One is definitely not on a hill - Park Hyatt may be.

Pier One is literally under the Harbour Bridge, encompassing all of the real Pier One (the others are numbered, and the Sydney Theater is Pier 3 or 4). It is steps away from the water. Again, the location, as far as views and water access go, was amazing. There were even signs at the dock for water taxis...

Pier One had package rates as low as 249 AUD for a 4+ night stay, but I ended up using points (great value at 35K, especially with 5th night free). Make sure to check all the rate tabs on Marriott.com as the package rates don't always display first.

I stayed in a standard room the first night because there was a wedding, and I did not have a reservation prior to arriving. They were more than happy to move me to a suite the next day, when multiple became available. The standard room was quite spacious, with amazing views of the harbour, electronic curtains standard in all rooms, and a nice bathroom. I was quite comfortable in it and found the exposed beams from the original building quite charming.

They have only 3 harbour view suites with outside balconies - and then the Admiral's Suite with three small balconies (probably the same outside square footage of a single harbour view suite with balcony).

They also have harbour view suites and Walsh Bay suites without balconies. I tried out or at least saw all of these rooms.

They had a gold (!) in a harbour view suite with balcony prior to me getting in there. The Front Office Manager is in the lobby daily and is very personal with guests and also very accommodating.

With regards to AC - I found it quite strong and in the 1 suite it didn't work great, maintenance immediately came and fixed up. I am an AC fanatic and it pleased me to no avail. Also, the hotel has an agreement to feature Dyson products in their suites, so all suites have Dyson hair dryers and Dyson fans (the Walsh Bay suite had a Dyson hot/cold fan while the other suites, including the Admiral's Suite, only had "regular" Dyson fans). Finally, they feature some of the strongest in-bathroom fan systems I have ever seen - No worries about shower steam heat warming up the room.

This is the view from room 213, the harbour view suite with balcony that multiple managers said was their favorite room (this suite also features TWELVE showeheads, it's like a human car wash) (see photos below)
vivrant and travelista like this.

Last edited by btonkid12345; Sep 11, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

213, Harbour View Suite balcony:

SanDiego1K and travelista like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.