Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My reservations were converted to Pullman (Accor Hotels) at the same rate which I had booked through Marriott. Same hotel, just under different management and hotel chain.

I have confirmations from Accor Hotels - Pullman for my stays. I just spoke to the Pullman in Sydney and they will match my Marriott Platinum status to Accor le Club Platinum status which provides lounge access, room upgrade,etc.

I had an Accor number and they are adding that to my reservation.

I have an Accor reservation in Perth the week before anyway. However, I won't stay a Accor hotels enough to keep Accor Plat status down the road.

But the issue I see - Marriott should have allowed a conversion to the CQ Marriott. They used to be until recently the same category.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
sounds like Pullman/Accor treated you BETTER then Marriott

of course you won't get MR points or stay credits, but rate match is better then what Marriott offered - NOTHING...........

maybe next time you're considering a Marriott stay you ought to book another available property as well cause who knows when another property will be deflagging............

Originally Posted by cova
My reservations were converted to Pullman (Accor Hotels) at the same rate which I had booked through Marriott. Same hotel, just under different management and hotel chain.

I have confirmations from Accor Hotels - Pullman for my stays. I just spoke to the Pullman in Sydney and they will match my Marriott Platinum status to Accor le Club Platinum status which provides lounge access, room upgrade,etc.

But the issue I see - Marriott should have allowed a conversion to the CQ Marriott. They used to be until recently the same category.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Plat, PAL Mabuhay Miles, Delta Skymiles, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by cova

I had an Accor number and they are adding that to my reservation.

I have an Accor reservation in Perth the week before anyway. However, I won't stay a Accor hotels enough to keep Accor Plat status down the road.

Got the same response from Pullman, they'll still honor my reservation as platinum member - exec lounge access, possible room upgrade but no points anymore as expected. As much as I want to be transferred to CQ, i just settled in Pullman since I just got $67.50 per night rate with free buffet bfast and bottle of champaign.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sevenblues
Got the same response from Pullman, they'll still honor my reservation as platinum member - exec lounge access, possible room upgrade but no points anymore as expected. As much as I want to be transferred to CQ, i just settled in Pullman since I just got $67.50 per night rate with free buffet bfast and bottle of champaign.
$67.50 is an unbelievably low rate for this hotel! You CAN earn points on this stay. Just ask Accorhotels to open a Le Club Accorhotels Loyalty account and have your status matched to Platinum.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I just noticed that my reservation was cancelled for 3-6 March on marriott.com (booked in early 2012). I've become aware of this re-branding by doing a goggle search. The amazing thing is that you can still book with marriott reservations or on marriott.com this minute.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I think you may be confusing be able to book stays at the Sydney Harbour Marriott with the Sydney Marriott. This thread is about the Sydney Marriott which is not the same hotel as the Sydney Harbour Marriott.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I think you may be confusing be able to book stays at the Sydney Harbour Marriott with the Sydney Marriott. This thread is about the Sydney Marriott which is not the same hotel as the Sydney Harbour Marriott.
Your right. I'm not familiar with Sydney and booked so long ago I forgot there used to be two FS Mariott properties. The Platinum reservation agent has confirmed no email was generated regarding the cancellation and am now rebooked at the remaining hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone been to the Harbour Marriott recently with the addition of suites in the upgrade pool? Have a city view room booked currently, would imagine an upgrade to at least a better room is likely, but what about suites?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Good news
This hotel has never excluded suites. But they have only included suites for upgrades as identified by the hotel.

I was there last year and upgraded to a suite. Friends who are LT Plat were upgrade to a suite back in January 2011.

Bad news
IMO, suites at this hotel are nothing to write home (or on FT) about. But here goes anyway... The renovation of this hotel's guest rooms and suites a few years ago was a flop IMO. Scan meets utilitarian san drawers. My suite was two guest rooms that they had converted to a suite, with a single door between. Living area and half bath in one room that has Formica topped round table with 4 chairs and two utilitarian chairs with a small end table between, and large LCD TV. Lots of rug empty space if you want to stretch or play twister. Small bedroom and large bathroom in the other room. Shower is much nicer than those of the quest rooms as it has a door and water does not go all over the bathroom when taking a shower. Small closet and few or no drawers.

I have always been upgraded to a better room, CL, harbour view, opera house view, etc. They do get a lot of Plats and a few PP at this hotel. This past visit was the first time I was upgrade to a suite, may have something to do with my waning PP status and that I had stayed there a half dozen times.

I requested the upgrade via the virtual concierge email that I received a week or so before arrival. Upgrade was not confirmed in advance, but have always been pleasantly surprised with my room upon arrival.

I have always had to wait a few hours for the room to be made ready (most flights arrive early morning), but they give you access to the lounge where you can have breakfast and hang out. There is also a early arrival room they will give you access to if you want to take a shower, but I have never taken advantage of that option.

With all that said, this hotel is still wonderful. The rooms are it's only shortcoming IMO and if you are visiting Sydney, my guess is you will spend little time in your room. Hotel staff is great, lounge is one of the best outside of of Asia, although it can get quite crowded during cocktail hour and has the same utilitarian decor and chairs are heavy and do not have casters, so one must lift and move chair in order to sit down. Did I mention that the chairs were heavy, and that is coming from a 6'3", 225 lbs, able bodied male. The interior decorator they hired for their renovation should have been fired and held liable for bad design IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:21 am

Well - I am currently at the Marriott Circular Quay - since the Sydney Marriott was deflagged and is now a Pullman hotel.

What a downgrade. The Circular Quay Marriott has very minimal rooms - not even a dresser in the room to put your clothes. 10% of the rooms are suites - but I had to flight to get a Plat suite upgrade (yes - Marriott now upgrades Plats in Asia/South Pacific).

The hotel is OK - but just doesn't have the personality of the old Sydney Marriott (which was built in 1993). I suspect the owners fired Marriott since Marriott likley emphasised the Circular Quay location.

The lounge is not as good. The food choices were much better at the Sydney Marriott. The Circular Quay location if very much a senior's cruise ship crowd with some businessman. The old Sydney Marriott was much more international.

Marriott is charging a premium at the Circular Quay - pretty much taking advantage of the senior crowd that stays at Marriott's in the USA. This hotel is way overpriced unless you have corporate contract or are an airline employee.

I am just disappointed that the Sydney Marriott was deflagged.

When I checked in at the Circular Quay - there was no upgrade - but I had to force to get a suite upgrade for the rest of my stay the next day - but it did happen. The first regular room I had - had a broken table - glass top against the wall and a broken shower door - door would not stay closed. But the maintenance folks were great and did all the repairs in short order.

Marriott is charing seniors $500 a night at this hotel and they can't seem to keep the rooms in working order when you check in.

Anyway - I miss the Sydney Marriott - now Pullman. The lobby has been remodeled and looks more like a W hotel. But I don't think Pullman has yet to upgrade the rooms.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update, although it's disappointing. I can't imagine a hotel not having dressers in a room.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update, although it's disappointing. I can't imagine a hotel not having dressers in a room.

Cheers.
I am in a Spa Suite - two separate rooms (bedroom and living room) on a Exec level.

There is no dresser in the bedroom only two small closets - about 3 feet wide each. No shelves either, other than the top one. Clothes on that one and on the floor of the closet. The first room I had - no dresser either (a corner - nonsuite).

Really no major complaints - just try to get a better rate than the going rate. A couple I spoke to in the lounge were being charged $500/night. They tried to get the rate lowered - but no dice. They checked out the Four Seasons 2 blocks away and it was cheaper. But since they were only there for a couple of days they did not move.

Also - one annoying thing - in the lounge they lock the refrig door with bottled water so you can't take out a bottle during breakfast or evening drinks - but you can get one if you get on the floor and reach around the back side and get from the locked cabinet - that is what people are doing.

Drinks, wine, beer etc are free from 5:30 to 9:30pm so a good thing.

A nice hotel - but don't over expect. You might find a cheaper rate at a better hotel - Four Seasons, Intercontinental - both nearby. Or Sheraton on the Park, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Aer Lingus GC, BA Bronze, Turkish Classic Plus
I stayed in a standard opera view room last month, really wanted to unpack but lack of drawers in my room too. I think there was one deep one beside the mini bar but not nearly enough for my stuff. The room was refurbished since my last stay a few years ago.

When I was there the alcohol was the only thing locked. Water and Pepsi were in the open fridge. I found the evening food selection disappointing and sometimes it was hard to get a seat. It was like the lounge was too small for the number of people with access. People were using it as an office and its too small not to hear everything.

Great location, nice gym, little glass of bubbly for elite check in queue was a nice touch. I think the rate was around 330 aud for no view, non exec room during my stay, can see how some people could end up at 500 if they paid for the extras. One for the points for me.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We stayed there in July and got only a view upgrade(sliver of harbor bridge), and we were there on our 20th wedding anniversary. Lack of drawers is probably the number one complaint at TripAdvisor for this hotel.

The location really can't be beat though.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:09 pm

If you are Platinum you need to ask if an upgrade is available. In my case, the hotel was sold out the first night, but I requested to be moved the next night for 4 more nights. The new room was not available until 3pm - but I said I would wait rather than take something else.

They are supposed to charge $40 extra per hour if a guest does not check out at noon - not sure if they do. But if Platinum you can get a late check out for free - up to around 4pm.

The Circular Quay Marriott has about 45 suites - so chances are good you can get one if you are Platinum. But if you don't asked they probably won't give you one. Opt'ed for a large two room suite with nice Bridge view rather than standard room with Opera House view.

If you are not Gold/Plat then they charge $100 per night for access to lounge. But lots of the old people take that - and view it as a good deal. Free breakfast which is otherwise about $38 AUD per person, and free drinks for 4 hours, plus food - although minimun.

The original Marriott on College Ave had healthier food - salads, veggies, main courses, etc. Here it is soup and a couple of fried items plus cheese and crackers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.