Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DavidAL
I can't seem to find a consensus of which property gives better Plat UG's w/ SNA's or w/out. I'll be traveling with my family (young kids), so the more space the better. Thoughts?
The family suites at the Sheraton are awesome if you bring kids. Way better than the executive suite at the Westin.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Scottrick
I'm not a fan of either property, but... choose the Sheraton if you want to be close to Black Rock and a larger beach area. It's quieter. The hotel just doesn't have many amenities.

The Westin has a huge pool complex and Whaler's Village next door. It's very convenient if you want stuff to do. But I don't think the beach right out in front is as good due to the crowds.

Again, both properties are lacking when it comes to rooms, restaurants, service, etc. The choice here is between locations only.
It's about an 8 minute walk from the Sheraton to the Whalers Village complex.

We love the Sheraton. It's quieter & has great snorkeling. It's a short walk to some pretty good restaurants.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Hello, have read the comments and there are mixed reviews between both properties.
Need your advice, will be traveling with my wife and 10 month old baby at the beginning of December for 5 nights. Which of the two properties do you recommend. Looking for a calm and relaxing week.
Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I would think you'd find the Sheraton more desirable with your baby and if you are a Plat you would very likely get upgraded to a family suite which is really spacious.

You can also visit the Westin Resort Villas with your room key and they have an awesome kiddie pool pirate ship thing there.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
We spent 5 nights at the Sheraton and 2 night at the Westin with a ~6 month baby.

I'd second recommendation for the Sheraton. The family suites are really spacious and practical. It's set up so you can close around the baby for naps.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
How about if you are a couple without kids?

We have booked a Suite at the Westin for our anniversary week but all the favourable comment seems to be for the Sheraton.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Thank you for the advice, will book the Sheraton.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by BulaRae

You can also visit the Westin Resort Villas with your room key and they have an awesome kiddie pool pirate ship thing there.
Unless this has changed in the last 6 months, that's not accurate. In fact, we were told we could use that cool kiddie pool by the Sheraton, only to get to the Westin and be denied by the staff there.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How about if you are a couple without kids?

We have booked a Suite at the Westin for our anniversary week but all the favourable comment seems to be for the Sheraton.
You'll have a nice time. The Westin is a great property and the top floor suites have panoramic ocean views. It's in the middle of the beach for walks with a number of restaurants nearby.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is it possible to book a basic room at the Sheraton and then use Starpoints to upgrade to one of their family suites?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm going for just 4 nights, will have one day meetings and then 3 days to myself. I'm Lifetime Plat, and have stayed at Westin Maui several times, only once getting an upgrade to a suite. I adore their pools and proximately to Whalers Village, but am looking at prices between Sheraton and Westin being pretty much the same.

I see Sheraton as higher for most of the month of August. Is the pool area nice? I'd like to try something new and I just like to relax and lay by the pool when I can. I don't recall the Westin as having a club lounge- does either property have one? The Sheraton Waikiki was MUCH nicer than the Westin Moana, so I know sometimes Sheratons are nicer.

I'm looking for the best UG possibilities, a nice pool to sit by and hopefully drinks being served, and a good vibe. Is Sheraton close enough to other places to eat? I do like the Whalers Village so Westin has me on that one. Also- are these properties far from each other? And how are they about late checkouts for Plats?

Any recent info would be appreciated!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from 5 days at the Westin Maui and had a horrible stay. Staff couldn't care less, huge convention style ambience, had one of the worst suites in the category booked (no upgrade obviously), constant disruption from Whaler Village next door, Ocean View obscured by trees and bedroom AC never worked properly despite reporting the problem. Would recommend never ever staying there.

In contrast we took a boat trip which involved walking through the Sheraton. What a contrast. I didn't check out the rooms or suites there but the ambience was so much better, well spaced vs crowded. Laid back and relaxed versus busy. I am so annoyed that I didn't choose to stay there especially given the trip over my anniversary. I wish someone had told me to ditch the Westin for the Sheraton before it was too late for us to change.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I booked a AAA deal for Sheraton but I can cancel if I find a better deal. Westin actually WAS cheaper, which I had not noticed at 1st glance. But as I've been to the Westin, I figure I can try Sheraton this time. Their website says they're not far from Whaler's Village either, so I'm thinking I made the right choice.

Oddly, one of the nicest suites I ever stayed in was at Maui Westin back in 2004. It was our anniversary and we paid 100 to get an UG to a suite that knocked my socks off. It had 1 and a half baths, a full ocean view with balconies, and the huge bath tub in master bath had steps going up.

We watched whales from our room and just loved the luxury of it. But that was over a decade ago, and I haven't had much luck there with upgrades. I cannot recall if it had a club lounge but the Sheraton advertises a Club Floor, I'm hoping that means they have an actual club.

If Westin drops rates drastically I will change it, but reading the later posts here makes me think that I chose correctly with Sheraton. Does anyone know a good shuttle service from OGG? It's been awhile since I visited Maui, I recall taking one but can't find the info.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I booked a AAA deal for Sheraton but I can cancel if I find a better deal. Westin actually WAS cheaper, which I had not noticed at 1st glance. But as I've been to the Westin, I figure I can try Sheraton this time. Their website says they're not far from Whaler's Village either, so I'm thinking I made the right choice.

Oddly, one of the nicest suites I ever stayed in was at Maui Westin back in 2004. It was our anniversary and we paid 100 to get an UG to a suite that knocked my socks off. It had 1 and a half baths, a full ocean view with balconies, and the huge bath tub in master bath had steps going up.

We watched whales from our room and just loved the luxury of it. But that was over a decade ago, and I haven't had much luck there with upgrades. I cannot recall if it had a club lounge but the Sheraton advertises a Club Floor, I'm hoping that means they have an actual club.

If Westin drops rates drastically I will change it, but reading the later posts here makes me think that I chose correctly with Sheraton. Does anyone know a good shuttle service from OGG? It's been awhile since I visited Maui, I recall taking one but can't find the info.
That would be a Luxury Suite or something at the Westin on Floors 2 to 10 and actually in the opposite corner of the beach tower to the Premier Suite we had. The problem with both types is that you could be as low as the 2nd floor (we were on the 4th). The Premier Suites are all adjacent to Whalers Village however whereas the Luxury Suites are adjacent to the resort pool, I suspect the WV side has much more background noise but neither are optimal on low floors. Only the Executive Suites are guaranteed to be on the top floor (and there are I think only 3 of them). I considered booking one of those and decided not to as it was a pretty bog standard 2 room design suite whereas the the Premier Suite notionally had a better layout. Again in hindsight I might have chosen differently but the Westin is a bundle of compromises that aren't really worth making. I cannot stress enough how much I would recommend not to stay there.

The Sheraton is 10 minutes walk from Whalers Village but a fairly easy walk. The Sheraton certainly looks a much better choice and I would have paid a premium for it had I known when I booked the Westin what I know now. I just naturally assumed a Westin would be better than a Sheraton, how wrong I was.

Roberts seem to run most of the shuttles on the island. We had an Escalade from Hertz however.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the info!
All I can remember about the suite was that we could see all 3 views- pools, ocean and village, I think. It was worth the 100 bucks extra (the master bath alone was gorgeous!) but that was over 10 years ago. I'm guessing I have a better bet at a suite at the Sheraton and it seems that so many people here think Sheraton is nicer.

I do know that the Sheraton Waikiki was MUCH nicer than Westin Moana in Honolulu. I was incredibly disappointed in that Westin. Maybe it's the same as Honolulu? Plus the Sheraton Maui has a lounge. I've been staying at Westin Maui for years so I think it is time to try the Sheraton, unless Westin rates drop a lot.

I tend to spend more time in my room than most people so I'm happy with the property with a better chance at UG. I've got a room reserved at Sheraton for a partial ocean view. I'm hoping very much after last year's debacle in Honolulu that I could get a suite UG, but you never know until you arrive. The rates at Sheraton Maui are higher than Westin Maui, but I'm keeping my eye on it. I have almost a month before I leave, which is rare.

I hope the Sheraton Maui is as nice as the Sheraton Waikiki!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.