Original Member

Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
I would go instead with Ocean Front Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas
Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:41 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Neither.

The inventory into which they put award bookings is simply horrible rooms.

If you want to go to Hawaii, use the SPG355N rate for a paid good room with 5th or 6th night free, 35% off rack rate and double points.

If you must use points, go to the St Regis on Kauai.

I much prefer the Westin Maui to the Sheraton but if it has to be on points choose the Sheraton as their worst rooms are less terrible than the Westin's worst rooms.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Sheraton Maui - building 6 would be my choice between the Westin and Sheraton. Sure, if money is no object, the St Regis Kauai is the way to go - big fan. But I'm headed to the Sheraton this summer and always enjoyy trips there.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Member

I'm having a very difficult time finding flights so Maui might not be the best choice. I would be willing to spend the points for the St Regis, but since I'm not going along, I'm not willing to use that amount of points on a gift redemption. That said, what do you all think of Sheraton Kauai Resort. Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by birdyy
Thanks. Without making me read 25 pages (from the other thread) can you give me an idea on upgrades as a Platinum?
Offered Partial Ocean View....and with some prodding finally offered an ohana suite...but only with two double beds, no king.

Then was offered Deluxe Ocean Suite with a Copay....which started at $300, then $200, and when I still seemed unimpressed they offered it at $100. Felt like a cheap version of Let's Make a Deal
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Sheraton Maui - building 6 would be my choice between the Westin and Sheraton. Sure, if money is no object, the St Regis Kauai is the way to go - big fan. But I'm headed to the Sheraton this summer and always enjoyy trips there.
Second this recommendation! Spectacular views from building 6. I stayed here in January on an award booking and managed to get an upgrade to an oceanview as SPG gold (I did email the property beforehand to request an upgrade, but it was not confirmed until arrival). Great beach and awesome location.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sthomes
Hello all-

We have been at the Westin previously and loved our stay. We are platinum members staying for 5 nights at the end of January 2014. Any updates on the construction at the Westin? We are contemplating staying at the Sheraton -- does one tend to have better upgrades than the other?

Any advice would be great!
Shannon
Just returned from the Westin and all the construction is complete. They were removing the equipment and storage bins in the parking lot while we were there. So the hotel will be "normal" for a couple of years until and if they decide to do a remodel to the Beach Tower. But for now, have no fears.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by lily23
Second this recommendation! Spectacular views from building 6. I stayed here in January on an award booking and managed to get an upgrade to an oceanview as SPG gold (I did email the property beforehand to request an upgrade, but it was not confirmed until arrival). Great beach and awesome location.
have a maui trip this summer, first time visitor. I have about 20k points with SPG and thinking about referring my wife to get the bonus on her card plus referral bonus for me. for a 4 nigihti award its 16k which i think is manageable if i can get it this way.

is 64k SPG points worth the stay or can i use for better use to airline transfer?

seems the sheraton is popular than westin...i am gold with SPG
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Exclamation Awards Cost INCREASE March 4, 2014

If you plan on making an awards reservation at either property, now is the time to do so. Reservations made March 4, 2014 or later at either property will see an increase in cost as both properties go from a Category 5 to a Category 6.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by controller1
If you plan on making an awards reservation at either property, now is the time to do so. Reservations made March 4, 2014 or later at either property will see an increase in cost as both properties go from a Category 5 to a Category 6.
OH NO !!! more than likely i won't have enough points if this happens.
what is the total points would be per night? its at 16k now correct?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:12 am

12-16k, I think. Going to 20-25k
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky
12-16k, I think. Going to 20-25k
ugh ! this is so frustrating for me, at 16 per night yesterday i had a plan to get 64k for 4 nights for this summer. if this goes to 20k + then forget it for me...gotta find another plan for my trip :/
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I can't seem to find a consensus of which property gives better Plat UG's w/ SNA's or w/out. I'll be traveling with my family (young kids), so the more space the better. Thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Hands down the Sheraton. They have the Ohana (family) suites to which they upgrade Plats to unless they are completely full and the Westin rarely upgrades and even if they do it's only to a location (like Ocean front) but the rooms are small and outdated even if they have killer views or proximity to the ocean. I also got an Exec Suite one time up on Black Rock that was huge. It wasn't the greatest location but it was a massive suite.

Also I do believe you are allowed to go use the pools at the Westin Hotel as well as the Resort Villas (there's a shuttle). And The Resort Villas has great family-friendly pool stuff for young families like the pirate ship kiddie pool area.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by BulaRae
Hands down the Sheraton. They have the Ohana (family) suites to which they upgrade Plats to unless they are completely full and the Westin rarely upgrades and even if they do it's only to a location (like Ocean front) but the rooms are small and outdated even if they have killer views or proximity to the ocean. I also got an Exec Suite one time up on Black Rock that was huge. It wasn't the greatest location but it was a massive suite.

Also I do believe you are allowed to go use the pools at the Westin Hotel as well as the Resort Villas (there's a shuttle). And The Resort Villas has great family-friendly pool stuff for young families like the pirate ship kiddie pool area.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.