Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Okay so I'm a bit lost with all the Maui options -- I need to burn off ~3 50k FNCs and also accrue 8 EQN to qualify for Platinum, so I was looking at any of the following in early December:

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (is this basically renting an apartment/condo?)
Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Residence Inn

I read the AC wasn't very good?

Which hotel has the newest rooms? Basically looking for something nice and modern, can go relax either by the beach, eat some good food, maybe go for some nature exploration, I don't mind driving.

Right now leaning toward the RI which incidentally also has the highest cash rate (683/night) and I'd use ~200k points for the other nights. So in the neighborhood of 1.36cpp? That's pretty good for Bonvoy right?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Right now leaning toward the RI which incidentally also has the highest cash rate (683/night) and I'd use ~200k points for the other nights. So in the neighborhood of 1.36cpp? That's pretty good for Bonvoy right?
Haven’t been to the others, but I’ve been satisfied with my stays at the RI this year. Hotel and rooms are in good condition, and have been upgraded each time. Does require a vehicle though, since there’s not much within walking distance other than shopping.

Can’t think of a better use for points redemption than Maui hotels at the moment, at the prices they’re charging. I was actually able to get the RI at 40k points a few nights.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Okay so I'm a bit lost with all the Maui options -- I need to burn off ~3 50k FNCs and also accrue 8 EQN to qualify for Platinum, so I was looking at any of the following in early December:

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas (is this basically renting an apartment/condo?)
Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Residence Inn

I read the AC wasn't very good?

Which hotel has the newest rooms? Basically looking for something nice and modern, can go relax either by the beach, eat some good food, maybe go for some nature exploration, I don't mind driving.

The Westin was fine, but I didn’t love it. The hotel was very crowded and service was poor, but much of that was probably pandemic woes.

Be advised that the Westin doesn’t give a lick about elite status. They restrict upgrades to only their old tower and try to upsell you to the new tower. The breakfast benefit is a lame grab-and-go setup. Checking out even a couple hours late was refused even though our room type wasn’t sold out the night we were departing.

I’ve heard the Sheraton, though a bit older, is much better at recognizing elite status. Can’t comment from personal experience, though.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rucksack
The Westin was fine, but I didn’t love it. The hotel was very crowded and service was poor, but much of that was probably pandemic woes.

Be advised that the Westin doesn’t give a lick about elite status. They restrict upgrades to only their old tower and try to upsell you to the new tower. The breakfast benefit is a lame grab-and-go setup. Checking out even a couple hours late was refused even though our room type wasn’t sold out the night we were departing.

I’ve heard the Sheraton, though a bit older, is much better at recognizing elite status. Can’t comment from personal experience, though.
I can’t speak from experience yet, but we’re booked at Sheraton Maui next week (on points - concur it’s a good value right now - all nights were 60K (plus 5th night free) and cash rates have been $700-$800 since we’ve been checking in July) - it’s our first time to HI. Our resort view room is showing on the app as Ocean view now - so seems like we’ve already been upgraded (we’re gold).

my understanding is no kids club right now at the Sheraton, which is not ideal for us, but I’m pretty sure we’ll still find a way to slog through a vacation there anyway😀.
rucksack likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I can’t speak from experience yet, but we’re booked at Sheraton Maui next week (on points - concur it’s a good value right now - all nights were 60K (plus 5th night free) and cash rates have been $700-$800 since we’ve been checking in July) - it’s our first time to HI. Our resort view room is showing on the app as Ocean view now - so seems like we’ve already been upgraded (we’re gold).

my understanding is no kids club right now at the Sheraton, which is not ideal for us, but I’m pretty sure we’ll still find a way to slog through a vacation there anyway😀.
how is/was your stay at the sheraton?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack

I ended up booking the Westin due to better availability. Otherwise the Sheraton was only available for Dec 8 which was out of my timeframe. Guess I'll post an update when I complete my stay!
rucksack likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:51 pm

Okay, so, you guys were right about the Westin — no elite recognition whatsoever, the agent kinda mumbled something about Bonvoy Elite something something but that was it. No upgrade whatsoever, not even mentioned at all. Asked about late checkout and was told “ask the morning of check-out” …

Room feels pretty dated, so I guess only the new tower is the “renovated” part. Got a room with connecting door, so evidently not a very good one either, bet the front desk probably didn’t want to give a good room to someone on a points/FNC booking I suppose. Furnishings are pretty worn, definitely need another chair or place to put a bag down. You’d think they would put another sofa or something in here. On the plus side, the balcony is kinda nice, and the pool area is pretty neat.

In all, I guess “it’s fine” … it’s a place to sleep and hang out by the pool anyway. For anyone else looking to book, I think “low expectations” is the name of the game.
xy31 and rucksack like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:43 pm

Me and the wife headed to Maui April 16-21 for the first time, recommendations / insights welcome.
Was hoping to book the Wailea Beach Resort given the impending 30k point increase, but not available for my nights unless I split my stay, not sure if its worth the hassle though.

Current availability/points required:

5 nights - AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea (200k points)
5 nights - Residence Inn Maui Wailea (200k points)
5 nights - Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa (250k points)
Split - 3 nights Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott and 2 nights Sheraton (180k (+$$$ upgrade since no base rooms available) + 130k = 310k points)

Thanks!!

Last edited by fruzmatik; Mar 26, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Can you do three nights at the Wailea Beach Resort and then two nights at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua? Or even the Westin; can't really recommend the Sheraton.
fruzmatik likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Can you do three nights at the Wailea Beach Resort and then two nights at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua? Or even the Westin; can't really recommend the Sheraton.
Unfortunately, RC has an extra fee of $2500 USD for the 2 nights - and no Westin availability on points.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We enjoyed the RI more than the Andaz Maui. It has no pretensions, just a comfortable, convenient place to stay, with no pretensions. A fantastic value at 40k per night. You'll pay for parking (I think it was $30) but no destination fee.
fruzmatik and econ like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:10 am

I could make two separate one night bookings at the Westin in different rooms?
Also noticed the Westin is available for 4 nights (16-20) with cash upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
We enjoyed the RI more than the Andaz Maui. It has no pretensions, just a comfortable, convenient place to stay, with no pretensions. A fantastic value at 40k per night. You'll pay for parking (I think it was $30) but no destination fee.
Thanks for your views. I agree 40k a night seems like fantastic value. Just missing that wow factor I guess haha.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fruzmatik
Thanks for your views. I agree 40k a night seems like fantastic value. Just missing that wow factor I guess haha.
You're not going to get that at the Westin or Sheraton. In fact, it's debatable whether any of the Maui resorts offer a "wow" factor unless you're spending well over $2k a night for a suite or villa at Andaz, FS, etc.
fruzmatik likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:29 pm

The Westin is now available for 5 nights for 250k points, or the last 2 nights for 130k.

So options are now:

5 nights - AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea (200k points)
5 nights - Residence Inn Maui Wailea (200k points)
5 nights - Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa (250k points)
5 nights - Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali (250k points)
3 nights - Wailea Beach Resort (180k +$525 for partial ocean view room) and 2 nights Sheraton or Westin (130k) = 310k points + $525 USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.