Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I will be taking the ferry to Lanai, so close to Lahaina is ideal. If the hotels are junk I don't want to stay at them.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by estedman
I will be taking the ferry to Lanai, so close to Lahaina is ideal. If the hotels are junk I don't want to stay at them.
In that case, any of your original choices will be fine. None of them are "junk", although I'm personally not a big fan of the Sheraton. Wailea is far out of your way, and Kapalua is also a bit out of the way.

I'm not going to look up the GSA website right now, but isn't the government rate *on* Lanai really high? Maybe you could just stay there?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
None of the above. Wailea Beach Resort or Ritz-Carlton Kapalua would get my votes.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
+1

The properties mentioned by the OP are mass tourism bunkers. No way I'd travel all the way to OGG and then stay in these things.
In that case, any of your original choices will be fine. None of them are "junk", although I'm personally not a big fan of the Sheraton. Wailea is far out of your way, and Kapalua is also a bit out of the way.

I'm not going to look up the GSA website right now, but isn't the government rate *on* Lanai really high? Maybe you could just stay there?
OK I guess one of the Westins it is then.
The Gov Rate on Lanai is actually about 75.00 lower than Maui although that's not why I am staying on Maui. There are only 3 hotels there and I can't get the Gove Rate at any of them. Thanks for the insight.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I know this thread is older, but hoping someone can help with the potential best option for Maui, so I thought this was the best thread to plug into.

Looking for points redemption in early-mid November, family (2 adults, 2 kids - 6 and 3 yo) for 5 nights. No status with Bonvoy (anymore☹️). Want to stay in Kaanapali area. Looking at the Westin or Sheraton, specifically, what is good for us as a family/ kids activities. Both hotels are the same cost for points. This is our first time in Maui. So looking for a little relaxing, some time on beaches, in pool, and some culture. Any recent first-hand experience would be helpful. Would consider the Westin Villas too, but they appear to be unavailable on our dates (cash or points).

My research thus far suggests that Westin is a bit more generic, Sheraton a bit more Hawaii vibe, and better for cultural activities. That Westin is more crowded due to being directly next to Whalers Village, while Sheraton is more of a sprawling resort (though we are generally ok with walking quite a bit). That the pools at Westin are better, especially for kids, but the beaches by Sheraton are a bit better/quieter, and is right on Black Rock (regardless, we'd probably go to see the show - I think we can even if not staying there?). Rooms appear to be similar size. And that Westin appears to be a bit higher fees (at least resort fee/parking - but not super concerned about that). I also understand if we stay at the Westin, to go for an ocean tower room?

Also interested in any comments specifically on activities for kids - I understand Westin has a kids club, and I see references to Sheraton adventures club, but seem to find very little info. on the latter. Would also be interested in COVID/Post-COVID experiences with this, as I'd be interested to know if those are operating at all right now, and if so, are there a lot of activities that aren't available. In that sense, not just for kids club, but also other amenities. Is breakfast in the restaurants, for example, relatively normal (are buffets somewhat available, or is it all a la carte now, etc.).

I know there's a lot in here, but any insight from those with experience is appreciated.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Does it have to be Ka'anipali? Because the way you described things, I think the Wailea Beach Marriott is the perfect choice.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it have to be Ka'anipali? Because the way you described things, I think the Wailea Beach Marriott is the perfect choice.
Appreciate the suggestion. While I think we prefer Kaanapali area in general, definitely open to Wailea (now that we’re on west coast, I’m sure we’ll be back). Bigger issue with Wailea Beach Marriott is they don’t have availability (cash or points) on our preferred dates (Nov. 10-15) - looks like the Nov. 10/11 is the issue. Because we’re timing this for when our daughter has a school mini-break, but most others don’t, unfortunately our flexibility is pretty limited (we can probably only make +/- a day work, which won’t help us at that property).
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright....thinking about this again, and seeing availability....still no availability Wailea Beach Marriott, but I do see availability at both AC and Residence Inn in Wailea. I realize the difference in these brands vis-a-vis Marriott/Westin/Sheraton, and these are not resorts with all the amenities (but also no resort fees). Anyone have thoughts on these hotels? Looks like both have pools, and on-site restaurant. Plus other things around/closeby...coffee shop, Shops of Wailea, and close'ish to Beach, but a bit of a walk (+/- 10 - 15 minutes?). Residence Inn has nice size rooms as well, which would be ideal, but not necessarily make-break, and an eating area which makes it easy to do take out, etc.

Anyone have experience with these hotels specifically?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I posted in the RI thread about recent stay in early July. We enjoyed it. More than Andaz Maui, where we stayed in April, and which was so not worth $850+ per night. RI is unpretentious, clean, and comfortable, with a convenient location. SNAs cleared to 2BR Ocean View Suite. The free breakfast (we didn't partake) looked good and the setting is excellent, indoors/outdoors on the pool deck. They have nice looking gas barbecues and a large grassy area looking down to the ocean. We went to the beach at Makena, 15 minutes down the road, which is one of the prettiest beaches you'll find anywhere.

The AC is located right below RI. It looked clean and modern, with a nice (but somewhat crowded) pool. From outside, the rooms looked small and half of them are located on busy Wailea Ike Road.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I posted in the RI thread about recent stay in early July. We enjoyed it. More than Andaz Maui, where we stayed in April, and which was so not worth $850+ per night. RI is unpretentious, clean, and comfortable, with a convenient location. SNAs cleared to 2BR Ocean View Suite. The free breakfast (we didn't partake) looked good and the setting is excellent, indoors/outdoors on the pool deck. They have nice looking gas barbecues and a large grassy area looking down to the ocean. We went to the beach at Makena, 15 minutes down the road, which is one of the prettiest beaches you'll find anywhere.

The AC is located right below RI. It looked clean and modern, with a nice (but somewhat crowded) pool. From outside, the rooms looked small and half of them are located on busy Wailea Ike Road.
Thanks, Kacee. Didn't realize there was a specific RI thread...I'll have to go find it.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: All
Helpful Advice Sought from Fellow FT'ers

Hi -

Marriott Titanium/Hyatt Globalist traveling with wife, and two 20 year olds to Maui for a week on points.

What are your thoughts/preferences with respect to Ritz Carlton Kapalua vs. Marriott Wailea vs. Hyatt Regency Maui vs. Grand Wailea ? I've been thinking of splitting the time between Wailea and Kannapali.

Ritz definitely has the upscale appeal but don't count on anything but a basic room; Marriott Wailea is solid but little Titanium benefits since it is a Resort; HR Maui offers RC Lounge/free parking; Grand Wailea offers location and $50 F&B credit.

Any thoughts are much appreciated !!

Last edited by ma_zeoli; Jul 26, 2021 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
The Ritz Carlton at Kapalua is a nice property but is far from the beach because of the history of the property. Also, it rains quite a bit more at Kapalua than even in Kaanapali. The Hyatt Regency at Kaanapali is a beautiful facility and has maintained a more open and less pretentious (although very comfortable) Hawaiian atmosphere with its gardens, open lobby and restaurant, etc. The beach is not great but it's a short walk to truly great beaches, and the entire walk (about a mile) takes you past many other hotels, restaurants, etc. When we've stayed at this Hyatt, we parked the car and never used it again for the entire week. I believe the Grand Wailea is a Hilton/.Waldorf. Like the Ritz Carlton, it's overdone with mainlander luxuries and comes across, again in our view, as unnecessarily pretentious, and especially for Hawaii. My suggestion is you stay at the Hyatt Regency, or any of the other hotels at Kaanapali, and not move. Once you're settled in, you really should just relax. Aloha.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
The Ritz Carlton at Kapalua is a nice property but is far from the beach because of the history of the property. Also, it rains quite a bit more at Kapalua than even in Kaanapali. The Hyatt Regency at Kaanapali is a beautiful facility and has maintained a more open and less pretentious (although very comfortable) Hawaiian atmosphere with its gardens, open lobby and restaurant, etc. The beach is not great but it's a short walk to truly great beaches, and the entire walk (about a mile) takes you past many other hotels, restaurants, etc. When we've stayed at this Hyatt, we parked the car and never used it again for the entire week. I believe the Grand Wailea is a Hilton/.Waldorf. Like the Ritz Carlton, it's overdone with mainlander luxuries and comes across, again in our view, as unnecessarily pretentious, and especially for Hawaii. My suggestion is you stay at the Hyatt Regency, or any of the other hotels at Kaanapali, and not move. Once you're settled in, you really should just relax. Aloha.
Thank you for your most helpful advice !
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Marriott Wailea is a very nice property with good rooms and nice pools. While it isn't on the beach it is a approx. 5 to 10 min walk to either Wailea Beach (in front of the Grand Wailea) or Ulua Beach both of which are quite nice! The Wailea shops next to the Marriott give you restaurant options, basic necessities, and shopping within easy walking distance. Elite recognition is minimal as you are already aware.

Depending on how much time you will be in Maui, splitting between locations may be worthwhile. If you want to do the Road to Hana, Upcountry, or Haleakala National Park, Wailea is a better base for it. It is still a bit of drive but less traffic prone than getting through Lahaina. Kihei is also close by Wailea and gives you a lot of shopping and restaurant options. It is a more basic area (e.g. non resort feel) than Wailea and Kaanapali. There are nice beaches, snorkeling sites, and other attractions to explore near both Wailea and Kaanapali.

Currently my family picks one of the Hawaiian Islands and stays for two weeks splitting the stay between different areas of the island. E.g. we don't want to lose a full day in air transit to another island. Driving between locations is easier to plan with much less time lost in transit. Hard to go wrong with whatever you choose. Enjoy your trip.... We're hoping to get back to Hawaii in the next year or so.

--Jon
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
I believe the Grand Wailea is a Hilton/.Waldorf. Like the Ritz Carlton, it's overdone with mainlander luxuries and comes across, again in our view, as unnecessarily pretentious, and especially for Hawaii.
It's a monstrosity, belongs on the Las Vegas Strip, not Maui. Would not consider. I'd choose between HR and Marriott Wailea Resort.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Marriott Wailea is a very nice property with good rooms and nice pools. While it isn't on the beach it is a approx. 5 to 10 min walk to either Wailea Beach (in front of the Grand Wailea) or Ulua Beach both of which are quite nice! The Wailea shops next to the Marriott give you restaurant options, basic necessities, and shopping within easy walking distance. Elite recognition is minimal as you are already aware.

Depending on how much time you will be in Maui, splitting between locations may be worthwhile. If you want to do the Road to Hana, Upcountry, or Haleakala National Park, Wailea is a better base for it. It is still a bit of drive but less traffic prone than getting through Lahaina. Kihei is also close by Wailea and gives you a lot of shopping and restaurant options. It is a more basic area (e.g. non resort feel) than Wailea and Kaanapali. There are nice beaches, snorkeling sites, and other attractions to explore near both Wailea and Kaanapali.

Currently my family picks one of the Hawaiian Islands and stays for two weeks splitting the stay between different areas of the island. E.g. we don't want to lose a full day in air transit to another island. Driving between locations is easier to plan with much less time lost in transit. Hard to go wrong with whatever you choose. Enjoy your trip.... We're hoping to get back to Hawaii in the next year or so.

--Jon
Thank you Jon for your valuable insight !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.