Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:15 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I've posted on threads about the Westin Villas and the Westin, but as a Platinum who spends 7-14 nights at WKORV (where I own) plus another 7-15 paid nights per year at Starwood Hawaii properties, here is my advice:

a) General advice about the SPG program in Hawaii
1. DO NOT USE STARPOINTS FOR FREE STAYS IN HAWAII - you will be allocated the worst room in the property. Hawaiian tourism is booming (mostly from Asia, Australia and New Zealand) and upgrades are rare.
2. Consider Hawaii to be a place to earn Starpoints, not burn them. Consider the SPG35N or SPG355N rates: 35% off rack for rooms with a view, fifth night free (or 6th night on Maui or at the St Regis Princeville.)
3. Don't reserve a room category that you wouldn't be happy to occupy (see 1 above).
4. Don't expect a late check-out, even if you're Platinum.
Many guests depart late at night to Asia or New Zealand, and as resorts these properties don't have to give anyone a late checkout, and they won't.
5. If you're leaving late at night, book an extra night. This is the only thing I do use points for, preferably Cash + Points at the Sheraton Waikiki.
6. Checkout foreign school holidays and public holidays before you book. That means Golden Week in Japan, and the Australian and New Zealand school holidays (December-January, 2 weeks at Easter, last week of June and first fortnight of July, last week of September and first fortnight of October). Virtually noone gets upgraded at those times.
7. Don't bank on Suite Night Awards if you're Platinum50, especially for multi-night stays. It's not going to happen.

b) Specific advice about Maui
1. If you're looking for a luxury stay, there is no such Starwood property on Maui. Go instead to the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. Even the Hyatt.
2. If you are young and want a lively stay, stay at the Westin Maui. Beware of rooms in the lower categories, they are awful.
3. If you want to snorkel, stay at the Sheraton Maui.
4. If you have two or more kids with you, stay at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas.

A very common trap is for people to "save up" their points from work stays closer to home in order to use them for a "dream vacation in Hawaii". It doesn't work, well not unless you're going to St Regis Princeville and don't mind it raining all the time.

Rooms sold as "Garden View" or "Mountain View" are basically the worst rooms which face away from the ocean and onto either the street or a parking lot. And they are what Starpoints redemptions generally get (at least at the base rates). The only way I'd consider using Starpoints in Hawaii (other than at Sheraton Waikiki on the last night of a stay) would be for a specialty room redemption.

Lastly, if you're using your own money, and wanting to earn a lot of Starpoints, and you're going to be away more than 7 days, don't forget that Starwood Hawaii includes French Polynesia, and all their rates (e.g. SPG355N) are valid there too. If you're considering more than about $400 per night (Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana Surfrider, Maui properties, St Regis) then be aware that Le Meridien Bora Bora will sell you an overwater bungalow for the same price. Airfares from the USA are more expensive, but French Polynesia is a much more beautiful and less developed destination.

Last edited by DCF; Jul 30, 2013 at 7:33 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCF
I've posted on threads about the Westin Villas and the Westin, but as a Platinum who spends 7-14 nights at WKORV (where I own) plus another 7-15 paid nights per year at Starwood Hawaii properties, here is my advice:

1. DO NOT USE STARPOINTS FOR FREE STAYS IN HAWAII - you will be allocated the worst room in the property. Hawaiian tourism is booming (mostly from Asia, Australia and New Zealand) and upgrades are rare.
I've been to SPG Hawaiian properties quite a few times on points and I have generally been happy with the rooms. On occasions I wasn't initially, I was able to get something more to my liking. But I would agree, if you absolutely have to have a particular room type, don't leave it to chance. Confirm it in advance.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:49 pm

Mr. Zhu would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments. Very much appreciated. After reading comments Mr. Zhu switched from Westin to Sheraton.

Mr. Zhu is wondering:

(1) If anyone has experience using points for a better class of rooms. Mr. Zhu has booked an Ocean View at the Sheraton BlackRock and is wondering if that will help him avoid dumpster views? Its was only 2,500 points per night more which doesn't seem much. Mr zhu doesn't plan on spending a lot of the time in the room and is headed to Travaasa in Hana afterwards. Will be interesting to contrast and compare.

(2) Mr. Zhu is Paltnium - will the Zhu's get free-breakfast?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MrZhu
Mr. Zhu would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments. Very much appreciated. After reading comments Mr. Zhu switched from Westin to Sheraton.

Mr. Zhu is wondering:

(1) If anyone has experience using points for a better class of rooms. Mr. Zhu has booked an Ocean View at the Sheraton BlackRock and is wondering if that will help him avoid dumpster views? Its was only 2,500 points per night more which doesn't seem much. Mr zhu doesn't plan on spending a lot of the time in the room and is headed to Travaasa in Hana afterwards. Will be interesting to contrast and compare.

(2) Mr. Zhu is Paltnium - will the Zhu's get free-breakfast?
You're kidding right?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by DCF

2. Consider Hawaii to be a place to earn Starpoints, not burn them. Consider the SPG35N or SPG355N rates: 35% off rack for rooms with a view, fifth night free (or 6th night on Maui or at the St Regis Princeville.)
3. Don't reserve a room category that you wouldn't be happy to occupy (see 1 above).
4. Don't expect a late check-out, even if you're Platinum.
Many guests depart late at night to Asia or New Zealand, and as resorts these properties don't have to give anyone a late checkout, and they won't.
5. If you're leaving late at night, book an extra night. This is the only thing I do use points for, preferably Cash + Points at the Sheraton Waikiki.
6. Checkout foreign school holidays and public holidays before you book. That means Golden Week in Japan, and the Australian and New Zealand school holidays (December-January, 2 weeks at Easter, last week of June and first fortnight of July, last week of September and first fortnight of October). Virtually noone gets upgraded at those times.
7. Don't bank on Suite Night Awards if you're Platinum50, especially for multi-night stays. It's not going to happen.

b) Specific advice about Maui
1. If you're looking for a luxury stay, there is no such Starwood property on Maui. Go instead to the Ritz-Carlton or the Four Seasons. Even the Hyatt.
2. If you are young and want a lively stay, stay at the Westin Maui. Beware of rooms in the lower categories, they are awful.
3. If you want to snorkel, stay at the Sheraton Maui.
4. If you have two or more kids with you, stay at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas.

A very common trap is for people to "save up" their points from work stays closer to home in order to use them for a "dream vacation in Hawaii". It doesn't work, well not unless you're going to St Regis Princeville and don't mind it raining all the time.

Rooms sold as "Garden View" or "Mountain View" are basically the worst rooms which face away from the ocean and onto either the street or a parking lot. And they are what Starpoints redemptions generally get (at least at the base rates). The only way I'd consider using Starpoints in Hawaii (other than at Sheraton Waikiki on the last night of a stay) would be for a specialty room redemption.

Lastly, if you're using your own money, and wanting to earn a lot of Starpoints, and you're going to be away more than 7 days, don't forget that Starwood Hawaii includes French Polynesia, and all their rates (e.g. SPG355N) are valid there too. If you're considering more than about $400 per night (Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana Surfrider, Maui properties, St Regis) then be aware that Le Meridien Bora Bora will sell you an overwater bungalow for the same price. Airfares from the USA are more expensive, but French Polynesia is a much more beautiful and less developed destination.
Great post! Your comment about the SR Princeville and rain made me chuckle because it's true. I got lucky and visited Princeville (I was staying at the HR in Poipu) on a beautiful sunny day, but all the locals I spoke with there mentioned that it had rained most of the previous week.

Also, your advice about Bora Bora is well-taken. I'll look into that the next time I'm planning a tropical getaway! ^

-S
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
FWIW I've had 4 points stays in Hawaii over the past two years, and really only got a bad room (accessible, no view) once. two other times I've received standard oceanview rooms, and once I was upgraded to a small suite.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:57 am

Any chance of room upgrade for early October stay at either property?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:15 pm
DCF

Originally Posted by hondafans
Any chance of room upgrade for early October stay at either property?
Australian and New Zealand school holidays so no chance. To the extent that the Oahu hotels are sold out.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
This has to be one of the most depressing threads on SPG FT. And I thought the Sheraton NY was bad...

Anyway I have a client site visit in Wailuku and so am bringing the family in early December. A couple of questions:
- How long is the drive to Wailuku? I will be renting a car and it's not that far but I'm betting it's a winding road
- If we like are 2 adults & 1 8 yr old boy, and like to play tennis and snorkel, am I interpreting correctly that the Sheraton is better? The Westin has C&P so I want to make sure the Sheraton is the right choice...
- Or should I forget both and just go to the Ritz Carlton, which is going for $182 on Orbitz? Or does the drive make prohibitive?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
This has to be one of the most depressing threads on SPG FT. And I thought the Sheraton NY was bad...

Anyway I have a client site visit in Wailuku and so am bringing the family in early December. A couple of questions:
- How long is the drive to Wailuku? I will be renting a car and it's not that far but I'm betting it's a winding road
- If we like are 2 adults & 1 8 yr old boy, and like to play tennis and snorkel, am I interpreting correctly that the Sheraton is better? The Westin has C&P so I want to make sure the Sheraton is the right choice...
- Or should I forget both and just go to the Ritz Carlton, which is going for $182 on Orbitz? Or does the drive make prohibitive?
It's about 25 miles from the Ka'anapali Beach area to Wailuku which will take you about 40 minutes with normal traffic. Add another ten minutes to that if you should stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua.

I've stayed at both the Westin and the Ritz-Carlton. As a couple, the Ritz was certainly better. But I bet your 8-year old would prefer the pools at the Westin. The Ritz may be a little too reserved for him. Just MHO.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC

45 min according to Google maps. Roads are fine.

The snorkling is top notch at the Sheraton. There are huge turtles at black rock and lots of fish. I guess you could also walk there from the Westin, but it's more of a hassle.

I don't know anything about Ritz Carlton. Last time in Maui, we stayed at the Westin, Fairmont and Sheraton (in that order). The Fairmont was a more relaxed and pleasant experience. Ka'anapali feels very busy and touristy by comparison.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:46 am
DCF

For $182, definitely definitely definitely the Ritz. If they sell at that price, I'd come from Australia.

Brilliant rooms, brilliant pools, fantastic beach.

The snorkeling is best at the Sheraton though.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Have stayed at both properties. The Sheraton is better for snorkeling in the immediate vicinity, but the Sheraton beach is very walkable from the Westin, so that's really not that big a deal. I *think* the Sheraton is the only one of the two to have tennis courts on-site though, which would be the tie breaker.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Thanks to the advice I got here we stayed at the Sheraton and loved it. My wife met a few people from the Westin who were unhappy. My 8 year old likes pools, but he loves beaches, and getting to see a sea turtle right at your hotel is an experience that can't be beat (except for the waves at DT Fleming Beach)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
best choice for award stay

Which of these properties has the better standard room for an award stay, particularly for view? I'll be going in September; have no status other than AAA preferred; and am not expecting an upgrade, although I did get one the last time I stayed at the Westin Princeville villas on Kauai. Number of points needed is the same, so that's not a factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.