Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
We stayed at the Westin Maui for 5 days on points in 2005 and really enjoyed it. I was a Platinum and we got upgraded to a Jr. Suite. It is a very nice hotel, a nice pool area, nice beach.

We walked to the Sheraton to rent and use snorkeling equipment as the Sheraton's beach is next to a rocky outcrop which makes it better for snorkeling, but I would say the beach in front of the Westin is nicer. Given we only wanted to snorkel once and can easily walk between the two, this is not for me a selling point on the Sheraton.

The other Westin is the timeshare unit, which we did not visit, despite repeated attempts by the concierge to offer us points for a timeshare presentation. I did not want to schedule time in the middle of the day of my Hawaii vacation no matter the points, especially when I would not touch any timeshare with a 10 foot pole.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife and I were weighing this same decision for our honeymoon this past fall.

We ended up choosing the Sheraton and were very happy with our decision. Here are a few of my thoughts:
  • I'm only gold, and we used points - so upgrade potential wasn't a huge consideration (though we did end up getting an ocean view room)
  • For us, it was between the Westin and the Sheraton (the Villas were a little too far away from "the action"). One of the main reasons we chose the Sheraton was the fact that reviews made it sound as though the Westin would have more kids running around (the pool area is better - bigger slides, etc.). I can neither confirm nor deny, since we didn't spend time by the Westin pools - but the Sheraton was exactly what we hoped it would be (i.e. relatively few kids)
  • These properties are quite close - just a short walk down the beach between them (5-10 mins), but the Westin is closer to Whaler's Village (a small outdoor shopping mall in the area)
  • The Sheraton is at the end of the beach, and because of that I think it actually had the better beach location (wider, less crowded, etc.)
  • For a special occasion, I would definitely recommend looking into "Dinner Under the Stars" - a private dinner on / next to the beach. It's a bit pricey, but not outrageous

Overall, you really can't go wrong with either property. We also took a timeshare tour of the Westin Villas (for 7500 SPG Points!), and they looked to be quite nice as well.

If you'd like any recommendations for Maui (or Kauai if that is in your travel plans), feel free to PM me. We packed a lot into our trip, and it's still quite fresh in my mind!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BUR Regular
After reading through most (not all) of these posts, I am at the same point of indecision as I was at the beginning. Still not sure which property to choose. 4 adults going late October...
Hehe, same here! Seems like there is an equal list of pros and cons.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
anyone know which has better rooms. i hear sheraton are a little tired. i also hear the newer tower of westing are newer rooms and clean. truth? lies?
Old May 20, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
The Westin Maui is awesome. Pool poker will get you free drinks, the location couldn't be better, and the rooms are very nice. Didn't check out Sheraton, but the larger Westin Suites seem depressing to me (we toured them bc we were curious). The Westin is very fun.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I've been to both...but overall I prefer the Sheraton. Better beach and great snorkeling at black rock. The grounds are also much nicer. Yes, the walk is a few minutes longer to Whaler's Village, but you're walking along the ocean so it's hardly a negative in my opinion. Just made a reservation to go back next April...can't wait!
Old May 21, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
Sheraton Maui

Milesmuncher is spot on. The Sheraton was perfect for us but I would not hesitate to stay at the Westin either. We did the timeshare tour of the Westin Villas also (for 7500 SPG Points). Very little pressure and only took about an hour and included a limited continental breakfast.
I did a full review on Tripadvisor here...http://goo.gl/umrpC
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:35 am

We planned to use a free resort night at the Sheraton in October, based on the theory that if we get the worst room in the place as a SPG Gold, we would rather be at the Sheraton than the Maui.

Unfortunately, there is some weird availability issues at the Sheraton for our preferred date, i.e., check in on Wednesday = 3 night minimum, Thursday = 2 night minimum, check in on Friday = 1 night minium. Our anniversay is Thursday, so we would prefer to check in on Wednesday or Thursday.

Do we cross our fingers that this will resolve itself or just book at the Westin while it is still available? Thanks -- Suzanne
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
We planned to use a free resort night at the Sheraton in October, based on the theory that if we get the worst room in the place as a SPG Gold, we would rather be at the Sheraton than the Maui.

Unfortunately, there is some weird availability issues at the Sheraton for our preferred date, i.e., check in on Wednesday = 3 night minimum, Thursday = 2 night minimum, check in on Friday = 1 night minium. Our anniversay is Thursday, so we would prefer to check in on Wednesday or Thursday.

Do we cross our fingers that this will resolve itself or just book at the Westin while it is still available? Thanks -- Suzanne
I believe it's fairly obvious that if you wish to be in Maui on your desired date but do not wish to have to pay to be able to meet the required stay minimum, then it's the Westin for you. Delay and you could be out of luck for either resort.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Smile Sheraton it is!

Thanks for all the info! Booked and ready to go and staying at Sheraton in Sept!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by loves_2_travel
Thanks for all the info! Booked and ready to go and staying at Sheraton in Sept!
September (after Labor Day) starts the off season period for Hawaii, you'll have a great time. Ask at the front desk for room upgrades - you can always negotiate.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
September (after Labor Day) starts the off season period for Hawaii, you'll have a great time. Ask at the front desk for room upgrades - you can always negotiate.
will do! thanks for the tip! cannot wait!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG-P, Delta-P, FPC-Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loves_2_travel
I am booking Sheraton as well for September, see ya there..lol
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
We are set for 5 nights at the Sheraton starting next week. We are using pts and are SPG gold. Very interested in snorkeling. It is our first trip to Hawaii and I can hardly wait!

Using AMEX facebook promotion, I have registered for $40 off $100 for both Sheraton and Westin. I am thinking of going to Westin for something (dinner?) in order to use this credit.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by catonis
We are set for 5 nights at the Sheraton starting next week. We are using pts and are SPG gold. Very interested in snorkeling. It is our first trip to Hawaii and I can hardly wait!

Using AMEX facebook promotion, I have registered for $40 off $100 for both Sheraton and Westin. I am thinking of going to Westin for something (dinner?) in order to use this credit.
Don't waste your money on expensive boating trips to deep snorkeling sites where you can't see anything. Some of the best snorkeling on Maui is right off the Sheraton's beach at Black Rock and it offers endless options for both the beginner and advanced snorkeler.

Rent your gear at Snorkel Bob's for the week and anytime you want to snorkel, just walk to the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.