Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
Hi! Have booked a Premium Deluxe Oceanview with two beds. Not sure if I read this right but are you saying the Beach Tower is better and bigger and we should ask for that?
I am saying that, yes. The Ocean Tower is the older building and the rooms are smaller.

The Beach Tower is also closer to the beach, though it is at a slight angle to the ocean itself. The Ocean Tower faces the beach directly, but is further away and you have to look over the pool area before you see the beach.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by araknis
Actually, I am using my Free Weekend Night awards (FWN) in Maui so price doesn't matter to me. Usually I try to maximize these awards, but in this case, I would be picking the cheapest property. I'm just hoping for the upgrade.

Sheraton has more ocean rooms and 6 buildings to choose from. I would say probability is in your favour to pick and choose there.^
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlxStevens
just returned from a 5-day award stay and was upgraded to a Premium Deluxe Oceanview. Asked about a suite, but they were booked.

One (maybe interesting) note - we had originally been upgraded from the Terrace award-default room to an Ocean View room in the older Ocean Tower. When I asked if the Beach Tower was available, they said we had gotten the Ocean because they did not have King rooms available. We were willing to take a 2-doubles room for 2 days in order to have the larger, newer room, and I think that was a good way to go. The desk staff was very diligent in working with us to get us the room we thought was best.

Also, we noticed that the upgrade pre-cleared the day before our arrival on SPG.com (this was also true for our upgrade at the St. Regis Kauai) so it doesn't look like they're doing it at time of checkin.
This is good news. I have booked one night cash AAA rate and one night Cash & Points at Westin Maui resort. I was concerned when I saw the only option for C&P to be the Terrace rooms. Good to hear they will try to upgrade you to a better room even when using C&P or points ^.

I had a choice of rates with and without breakfast at both the Westin and the Sheraton. Is it worth $20 extra for breakfast for 2 at the hotel restaurants?

Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Is it worth $20 extra for breakfast for 2 at the hotel restaurants?

which works out to be $10 for each person in a semi-upscale hotel in Maui, I would take it even if all they serve is just coffee & toast. You will probably spend more at the foodcourt in the mall next door ....
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
I had a choice of rates with and without breakfast at both the Westin and the Sheraton. Is it worth $20 extra for breakfast for 2 at the hotel restaurants?
If you are at all a breakfast fan, I'd definitely take it. As I recall the buffet was around $20, so you're getting 2 for 1.

My wife and I are early riser/eaters (especially on Hawaii time) and we usually went for a croissant and coffee from the lobby Starbucks, but even that was close to $10 per person.

/A
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:53 am

Mario33 - You are absolutely right ^. I think it was late and I was sleep deprived when I posted that .

Thanks also to AlxStevens for your reply too ^. I will be keeping my breakfast rates of $250++ (Westin) and $240++ (Sheraton).

Mini DG has seen the Sheraton Maui website and actually likes the look of that hotel more than the Westin (despite the great water slides). I am now looking at switching our second night to the Sheraton Maui (its cheaper)! We will get lots of water sliding in at Sheraton Waikiki so the water slide pool at Westin is not the most important draw card to us .

It seems from this thread that suite upgrades are more likely at the Sheraton too, so that makes it a winner.

Has anyone tried the Luau at either the Westin or Sheraton Hotels? Just wanting some feedback on whether its worth doing it at the hotel or looking for a better experience with an outside company. Thanks.

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jul 31, 2010 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Has anyone tried the Luau at either the Westin or Sheraton Hotels? Just wanting some feedback on whether its worth doing it at the hotel or looking for a better experience with an outside company. Thanks.
I've tried the luau at the Sheraton Maui. It's OK but nothing to write home about. I would suggest reviewing the Travel & Dining > Hawaii forum for suggestions for a luau in Maui. There seems to be quite a few suggestions about the Lahaina Luau.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Old Lahaina Luau vs. The Feast at Lele
They are both led by the same company. The OLL is a more traditional luau with buffet. The Feast at Lele is more upscale and shares the executive chef of neighboring restaurants Pacific 'O and I 'O.

Read about some of the history of both luaus here:
www.oldlahainaluau.com/aboutus.html
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
They are both led by the same company. The OLL is a more traditional luau with buffet. The Feast at Lele is more upscale and shares the executive chef of neighboring restaurants Pacific 'O and I 'O.

Thank you to both of you . My FT friend told me about the Old Lahaina Luau also.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Like everything else...

This is good news. I have booked one night cash AAA rate and one night Cash & Points at Westin Maui resort. I was concerned when I saw the only option for C&P to be the Terrace rooms. Good to hear they will try to upgrade you to a better room even when using C&P or points ^.

Thanks
...things ain't cheap in Hawaii so $20 for 2 brekkies + you dont have to go anywhere to go get it...yup its a good deal.
A couple of grand slams at the denny's in lahaina ran us close to $30 with tax+tip so yes get the b'fast option.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sc flier

One point of order - OLL is not a 'traditional luau', it's a traditional "tourist" luau, with the buffet, drinks, lei greeting, entertainment, etc.

There are, unfortunately, no true traditional luaus available to visitors unless you're invited to a private gathering.

That being said, these are two of the best tourist luaus in Hawai'i, tied with the Kona Village Resort (although lately, that one has lost some of its shine).
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
on award nights do we pay "resort fees" ? i assume neither hotel has a lounge for Platinums, so really all we get for being Platinum is perhaps an upgrade.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by why fly
on award nights do we pay "resort fees" ? i assume neither hotel has a lounge for Platinums, so really all we get for being Platinum is perhaps an upgrade.
Yes, you will pay the resort fee - here is what is included, regardless if already a platinum amenity:

Our daily resort charge program is $25.00 plus tax, per room, per night. This charge will be automatically billed to your guestroom account and is subject to change. As a result of this program, you will enjoy the following benefits:

Unlimited high-speed internet access in guest rooms

Unlimited wireless high-speed internet access in lobby and poolside

First night valet and self-parking thereafter

Unlimited local telephone calls (on-island)

Toll-free telephone call access up to 60 minutes

Starwood Maui scheduled shuttle service to Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, and downtown Lahaina
Kaanapali Resort scheduled shuttle service to Kaanapali Golf Clubhouse, Whaler's Village Shopping Center, Kaanapali resorts and hotels, and The Fairway Shops at Kaanapali

Cultural activities such as hula lessons, lei making, and coconut weaving
Yoga and Pilates classes at a minimal fee

Kids 12 and under eat free with a paying adult off a kid's menu at select restaurants on property.**
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Mini report on Sheraton Maui Kaanapali

Just back from Maui last night...

We spent five nights at this resort and were upgraded to an Oceanview room on the second floor overlooking the pool with a decent view of the beach. Room was clean, friendly staff. No operational issues noted. (Well the TV and Internet went down on Tuesday but that was the cable provider's problem not the hotels)

Only complaints: a so-so handheld showerhead with pressure issues (this was a handicapped enabled room) and the only dinner we had there didn't impress me)

I think this was overall a very good experience.

We especially enjoyed the fact that the pool was not overrun with screaming children.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:03 pm
TOB

Programs: Delta GM
Honeymoon?

My fiancee and I are planning on staying in Maui for 4-5 nights in early November for Honeymoon. The first 5 nights are going to be at the St. Regis Princeville on Kauai.

Which is better for a honeymoon... Westin or Sheraton?

Which has better chance (if any) for upgrade as a Gold?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.