Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by linsj
Which of these properties has the better standard room for an award stay, particularly for view? I'll be going in September; have no status other than AAA preferred; and am not expecting an upgrade, although I did get one the last time I stayed at the Westin Princeville villas on Kauai. Number of points needed is the same, so that's not a factor.
I stayed at Sheraton a few years back as preferred, possibly gold, can't remember. They upgraded us 1-2 categories, which was garden view to partial ocean view. The view wasn't that great. If the view is important to you, book an ocean facing room.

Some of the ocean facing rooms at the Sheraton have lots of stuff (palm trees) in front. If you're looking for an unobstructed ocean view, I'd go with the Westin.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by linsj
Which of these properties has the better standard room for an award stay, particularly for view? I'll be going in September; have no status other than AAA preferred; and am not expecting an upgrade, although I did get one the last time I stayed at the Westin Princeville villas on Kauai. Number of points needed is the same, so that's not a factor.
The Westin has some very poor standard rooms if you are unlucky to get one - they face the parking lot towards the mountains.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
If the view is important to you, book an ocean facing room.
The view isn't crucial, but I'd rather not be facing Dumpsters or be one floor up from a noisy parking lot. Only award option on the website is a standard room. Something else may be available by calling, but I don't have enough points for another room. And $$ aren't an option for this trip.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I would choose Sheraton. They are known for status acknowledgement whereas the Westin pretty much ignores it. Plus the way their property is laid out you could very easily get a room over a dumpster/parking lot vs. at the Sheraton even if you did get a mountain view over the parking lot it's quite beautiful and only a small parking lot up on the cliff side of the resort whereas the Westin's back side is entirely overlooking parking lot and the entrance which equate to hub-bub and eyesores.

The two properties have vastly different vibes—Sheraton is tranquil and "Hawaiian" and the Westin is just a high rise hotel plopped on a small lot to make money. The Westin only has one restaurant/bar and one pool bar which is disgusting with bird infestation and the staff seems to not be required to keep the place sanitary. The F&B staff at the Westin is appalling and the food at the restaurant is mediocre at best.

The Sheraton has two pool/beachside restaurant/bars that are great with great service, an outstanding breakfast buffet and two additional dinner restaurants. The F&B staff and food are excellent.

And the rooms at the Westin are small.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by BulaRae
I would choose Sheraton. They are known for status acknowledgement whereas the Westin pretty much ignores it. Plus the way their property is laid out you could very easily get a room over a dumpster/parking lot vs. at the Sheraton even if you did get a mountain view over the parking lot it's quite beautiful and only a small parking lot up on the cliff side of the resort whereas the Westin's back side is entirely overlooking parking lot and the entrance which equate to hub-bub and eyesores.

The two properties have vastly different vibes—Sheraton is tranquil and "Hawaiian" and the Westin is just a high rise hotel plopped on a small lot to make money. The Westin only has one restaurant/bar and one pool bar which is disgusting with bird infestation and the staff seems to not be required to keep the place sanitary. The F&B staff at the Westin is appalling and the food at the restaurant is mediocre at best.

The Sheraton has two pool/beachside restaurant/bars that are great with great service, an outstanding breakfast buffet and two additional dinner restaurants. The F&B staff and food are excellent.

And the rooms at the Westin are small.
Thank you! This is the kind of info I was hoping to get. Sheraton it is.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL
View rooms

Sheraton at Blackrock is our favorite hotel on Maui. It really does have a much more laid back feel of authentic Hawaii. Ask for building 6; it is tucked away (hard to get to and a bit confusing) but we love it. all rooms have views; some have two-way views on corners. big grassy lawn with hammocks and a perfect spot to see the torch lighting & cliff dives each evening. excellent snorkeling with LOTS of reef fish, we saw eel and turtles and an octopus, as well.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Do the Sheraton. We stayed there last year and it was great. The breakfast is good at the Sheraton if you get it included with your room, but you can also use it at the Westin for breakfast, too. You can also charge things between the resorts to your room. We liked the breakfast at the Westin better because the offerings were more on the higher end.

The Westin looks nice and has a beautiful motif to it (pool, waterfalls, great workout room, etc.) but can be very, very busy. The Sheraton is nice because, as others have said, it is such a large property you don't feel squeezed.

Also, put in the request for building #6 on a high floor which is close to the Black Rock. Worth putting in SNAs for or changing rooms mid stay if they can accommodate IMHO.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tip to request building 6. Will definitely do that.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
I'm using my platinum requalification gift for the Sheraton. Therefore, I have to book the standard room. Is there any way to guarantee a better room for additional cash or points? I definitely don't want to face a parking lot.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
No but you will definitely get upgraded as a Plat so don't worry about it. Plus at the Sheraton the one small parking lot up on top of the cliff isn't an eyesore like the one at the Westin and if you are overlooking it you would be also getting an ocean view.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by BulaRae
No but you will definitely get upgraded as a Plat so don't worry about it. Plus at the Sheraton the one small parking lot up on top of the cliff isn't an eyesore like the one at the Westin and if you are overlooking it you would be also getting an ocean view.
Thanks, that's a bit of a relief as this will be my first time in Hawaii.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by htown
I'm using my platinum requalification gift for the Sheraton. Therefore, I have to book the standard room. Is there any way to guarantee a better room for additional cash or points? I definitely don't want to face a parking lot.
Agree that your plat status will get you an upgrade. However for those with no status a call to SPG will get you an offer for a better room, with more points. Recently was quoted for a 7 night stay, 87,000 points for full ocean view. Regular tariff is about 72,000. Partial ocean view was available at IIRC - 81,000.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
me too.

31200 points for 5 nights is quite a good deal especially when the lowest room rate is 349$ per night plus taxes and resort fee.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Last time I was in Maui, July/Aug 2012, as platinum.

Westin (2 night stay on points) upgraded us to an executive suite on arrival. It was on the top floor with ocean views.

Sheraton (5 night stay on points) upgraded us a few days in advance to a family suite, which had a much better layout and is perfect for families. It was facing the ocean, but with the lawns and palm trees in front. We could watch the luau from our balcony.

I applied SNAs for the Sheraton. My request got denied when they changed the room type to a family suite for free ^^^

Your upgrade chances largely depend on how busy the property is, read: avoid school holidays.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Last time I was in Maui, July/Aug 2012, as platinum.

Westin (2 night stay on points) upgraded us to an executive suite on arrival. It was on the top floor with ocean views.

Sheraton (5 night stay on points) upgraded us a few days in advance to a family suite, which had a much better layout and is perfect for families. It was facing the ocean, but with the lawns and palm trees in front. We could watch the luau from our balcony.

I applied SNAs for the Sheraton. My request got denied when they changed the room type to a family suite for free ^^^

Your upgrade chances largely depend on how busy the property is, read: avoid school holidays.
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.