Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
October is a busy month here for conventions, etc. because the weather is usually so nice. Also a good month for fishing.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
I am looking at staying at either the JW Marriott New Orleans or the Renaissance Pere Marquette for a Thursday through Sunday stay. There is a lot of good information in this thread but I am wondering if anyone has any updates on the Concierge Lounge situation. The Renaissance lounge was closed for renovations as of 9/2/13. Has that changed? What is the weekend arrangement? The JW update is from 6/24/13. Any updates from then? Thanks for your help!

Also, if anyone has recently stayed at one or both of the properties, let me know your thoughts and/or comparisons.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by mindrisa
I am looking at staying at either the JW Marriott New Orleans or the Renaissance Pere Marquette for a Thursday through Sunday stay. There is a lot of good information in this thread but I am wondering if anyone has any updates on the Concierge Lounge situation. The Renaissance lounge was closed for renovations as of 9/2/13. Has that changed? What is the weekend arrangement? The JW update is from 6/24/13. Any updates from then? Thanks for your help!

Also, if anyone has recently stayed at one or both of the properties, let me know your thoughts and/or comparisons.
I stayed at the JW earlier this year and the Renaissance twice in the last two months. All stays were over the weekend. The Renaissance gave us coupons for free breakfast (buffet or cook to order). I believe breakfast at the JW was free too (best grits I've ever had).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Opinions, please. Two nights, midweek in NO. Made a reservation at The Saint, but am seeing mixed reviews. Was going to change to the JW or the Ren PM, both of which I like, but saw the CY Iberville. That hotel is on the "right" side of Canal, and seems to be a few blocks closer to where I want to be. It's a CY, which means no CL, but it's much, much less expensive than the JW or Ren PM.

Has anyone stayed at the CY Iberville? Would it be, as it seems, my best choice? There seem to only be a few posts here about the hotel, but they all seem positive.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA Gold :(
just stayed Renaissance Pere Marquette in Dec 2013.
There was some construction next door.
It was quite noisy.
And I bet it will take a while.
So I switch to Hyatt after one night.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Renaissance Arts or Marriott on Canal Street

Wondering which I should stay at. With 2 kids and wife fyi. Plat member. Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Wondering which I should stay at. With 2 kids and wife fyi. Plat member. Thanks
You are actually trying to choose between two of my least favorite Marriott family hotels in NO.

The FS is a convention hotel. It's big. There are two towers. The CL is in the smaller tower, but the bigger, better rooms are in the other tower, which makes the CL a two elevator ride and a long walk trip. Some of the rooms are dollhouse small.

The Ren is off the beaten path. At least with the FS, you can walk to many of the attractions. With a family, you'll probably want to be able to easily return to the room during the day if possible. It's not practical with the Ren. Also, due to the architecture, IME, the Ren echos at night. You hear every door open or close and every person walking down the hallway all night long. Granted, I'm a light sleeper, so YMMV.

Between your two options, the FS would be my hands-down choice. IMO, if possible, the JW would be a much, much better choice. It's usually not that much more expensive than the FS across the street, Plats usually get UGed to large rooms with nice views, the CL is easy to access and nicer than the FS CL.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
How about what Marriott property is best for a quick business trip? Looking to take my team out of town for a very brief (2 night stay). Come in on a Monday and out late afternoon Wednesday. About 7-8 of us total.

In addition to the sleeping rooms, I am going to need a small conference room to meet in for 1/2 day each of the days there. Our group is very casual and the rooms need to be clean and would like a hotel near the French Quarter. Most from my team have never been to the city before, so I am sure will want to walk around at night and "explore". We are not a big party crew, but I know the novelty of the area will be entertaining regardless.

Would the CY Iberville fit the bill for us? I'm trying to stay away from a massive business hotel like the FS as those are just too cost restrictive on having a meeting there (typically charge for a meeting room and then about $6 for each soda or water bottle you consume). I will look into it, but can only assume the Iberville has a small conference room or two like most CY properties do. Breakfast is not a big deal at all and we can just eat in the on-site restaurant or venture out individually somewhere. We would not be renting a car and would plan on just taking a cab into the city.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 6:19 am

I'm staying at the CY Iberville next month and will post my impressions then.

With that said, the one thing the FS does well is meetings. I've done plenty of conferences there - both as a speaker and as a coordinator for smaller meetings - and there are few hotels that are as on the spot when it comes to meetings.

You are correct, though, about every crumb costing $$. Once, I was doing two meetings in a week: one at a Marriott and one at a Phoenix University room. Marriott charged $3/muffin. For the next meeting, I went to Sam's Club to get food. I bought the exact same muffins for $5/dozen! Most CYs don't make you purchase food to rent the room.

Unless I'm in NO for a meetings, I wouldn't stay at the FS, but I didn't want to leave the impression that it doesn't hit its target. Despite its size and even if there are numerous meetings happening at once, the staff will make you feel that yours is the only meeting and/or the most important meeting on the planet.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:08 am

I've got a two night stay at the Iberville CY coming up this week, having switched from The Saint based on feedback on FT and TripAdvisor. Anyone have anything they want me to check out while I'm there? I'll post my experience after the stay, and am happy to include any information anyone specifically wants to know.

This is one CY where the breakfast issue isn't an issue for me. My early morning walk to Cafe du Monde will be a necessity, rather than an option!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I've got a two night stay at the Iberville CY coming up this week, having switched from The Saint based on feedback on FT and TripAdvisor. Anyone have anything they want me to check out while I'm there? I'll post my experience after the stay, and am happy to include any information anyone specifically wants to know.

This is one CY where the breakfast issue isn't an issue for me. My early morning walk to Cafe du Monde will be a necessity, rather than an option!
Look forward to hearing your trip report. I will be staying there in 2 weeks in a king bed one BR suite with the wife and kids on a mini vacation. Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:43 am

I'll post my trip report in its own thread over the weekend, but having just completed a two night stay at the CY Iberville, I think I've gotten my personal pecking order of NO French Quarter area hotels. Thought I'd share this totally subjective list. Note: I haven't stayed at The Saint, but have read and heard negatives that make me think it wouldn't be towards the top of my list.

1. RC - If you can get a good rate, this hotel best combines location and luxury. But I'll only stay there if the rate is very, very good. It's not worth paying double when you're not really spending much time in the room and there are other comfortable Marriott beds nearby.

2. CY Iberville - Great location. Quiet rooms near the Quarter! Big rooms, with separate bedrooms in most rooms. Other than a small sign outside and the dreaded Bistro, you'd have no idea you're in a CY. A few short steps to Bourbon St and other Quarter attractions/restaurants. No crossing Canal late at night!!!! No CL or free breakfast, though. This is a great choice if you are traveling with kids. (sofa bed in separate room with its own TV and large wet bar area with fridge, nice laundry facilities) One of the nicest CYs I've been in. Maybe the nicest. (And I've been to some outside the US.)

3. JW - Not as nice, new or fresh as many other JWs, but it's not too far from the Quarter. It's near Harrah's, if that's important. Stunning views. Quiet rooms. Great service. It has a CL. They upgrade Plats to larger rooms with a cool dressing area/bathroom setup.

4. Ren PM - It's the longest walk, but, IMO, the coolest Marriott property near the Quarter. Many rooms are smallish. (Love the room with the bathroom kinda around the corner, though.)

5. FS on Canal - Some small rooms, but if you get a high floor room at the end of the hall in the taller tower, it's bigger and the views are stunning. Unfortunately, the CL is in the other tower, so it's a hike. This is a convention hotel and there is no reason to stay here if you aren't at a convention here, IMO. It's more Marriott than New Orleans, while the CY Iberville and Ren PM are more New Orleans than Marriott. It's an easy walk to the Quarter and you don't have to cross Canal.

6. CY Near the French Quarter - This is a CY plunked down across Canal from the Quarter. When you're in the hotel, you really have no idea if you are in Louisiana, Florida or Ohio. It's a CY. If it is much less expensive than the other options, I'd stay here, but there really isn't anything other than price that would make this hotel attractive.

7. Ren NO Arts - It's not really near the Quarter. The architecture and acoustics make it impossible to sleep if anyone is walking down the hall, opening or closing a door or breathing anywhere in the hotel. This is the only hotel on the list I'd not stay in again. It's pretty to look at, but it feels like that was the sole concern when designing the hotel, as opposed to making it a comfortable place to stay.

Last edited by CJKatl; Feb 7, 2014 at 4:53 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the comparison of the properties! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
CJKatl, extremely helpful. Made my decision for upcoming trip much easier. A couple nights at JW and a couple nights at Courtyard with a cert. Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott PL
I just stayed one night at the FS on Canal and two nights at the CY Iberville. The FS had old rooms with low popcorn ceilings and an OK view of the river. Very cramped bathroom and old tub. Lounge had pretty good food in the morning and in the evening. The CY Iberville was quite nice. Probably the nicest CY I have stayed in. Big rooms and nice bathroom with a large shower. It's pretty much attached to the Ritz and for $10 I was able to use the Ritz spa pool and exercise room. Great location as well. I had some Level 5 Certificates to use and the Iberville came through nicely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.