Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Arlington, VA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Arlington, VA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: MR Gold, Hilton Gold, US Silver, WN No Luv
I've stayed at both the Crystal City and Gateway and found the Crystal City property to be cleaner and nicer. I was Plat at the time so got upgraded rooms at both locations. For what it's worth, the two-room suite at the Gateway was definitely the better upgrade. Can't say that I remember what the concierge lounges were like, unfortunately. Both are convenient to the metro, as noted. On one of my stays I was able to get the hotel to lower the rate to match what the Courtyard Marriott charges down the street. Made submitting my expenses a lot easier since my travel department always wants to book the Courtyard due to the normally lower cost.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Which Marriott hotels are closest to the George Washington Univ. Arlington campus? A colleague of mine may need a hotel near this place. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:26 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
The quickest and easiest way to find the closest Marriott properties is to go to www.marriott.com and click on More search options. Then click the Near an Address radio button and type in the address of the GW Arlington campus.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:23 pm

Hello,

I currently have a 2-night stay (Thurs.-Sat.) at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. Upon check-in the front desk employee told me that the Concierge Lounge will be closed until January 8th, but gave me breakfast coupons to use in the main restaurant.

One scenario though: I was attempting to use the EEO certificate at check-in, that I received in the mail (Buy 1 Night, Get 1 Night Free certificate). But when I inquired with a front desk employee/manager, he indicated that I had to stay on a Friday and Saturday night or a Saturday and Sunday night to use this EEO offer. Previously, whenever I stayed on a Thursday and a Friday, I have had the M11 rate; when I used the EEO certificate at this hotel, they always took it without question.

Shouldn't the hotel accept the EEO, since the 2nd night in question falls on a weekend night (Friday)?

Please advise.

Last edited by Marcell; Dec 29, 2006 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
You are correct. The hotel is incorrect, unless they have changed the rules recently.

Bruce
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:02 pm

Bruce,

They seemed to be going by the rules of the EEO certificate. As I was checking out of the Crystal Gateway Marriott, I talked to another front desk employee about the EEO Certificate. She went back into the office (maybe to talk to a supervisor) and when she returned she stated that I had to have a Friday and Saturday or a Saturday and Sunday stay. So I used a $100 BB to reduce the cost and paid the difference.

However, the front desk agent told me that the EEO doesn't apply to their Marriott hotel. That's odd because it indicates on EEO that "U.S. Marriott and J.W. Marriott resorts do not participate in this offer."

As I stated earlier, I used an EEO on a previous stay (that included Thursday and Friday nights) without any problem. I would think that even though I was paying for the 1st night (Thursday), that I would get the 2nd night (Friday, a weekend night) free.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
You got bad information -- now twice!!! Somebody needs to educate that hotel.

Bruce
Old May 12, 2007, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Stay at the Gateway May 3rd- May 6th

hi,

Room 521 ( Capitol Wing)
Rate $119

I arrived at 530pm on the Friday 3rd May. Check in was quickly done and given 521.

I was slightly disapointed with the room choice as my profile is for a high level room and the room was close to the elevator. However the room was quiet enough with good air conditioning.

The room overlooks the indoor pool ( it is just below the glass cannopy)
Occupancy seemed to be very high as there was some students and a large convention on Saturday/Sunday.
The outdoor pool opens later on in May but the indoor pool is fine a;though the pool is a bit shallow and it got busy in the evening with the students (expected in Washington DC in April/May).
There is a CVS about a 10min walk away ( head along S Eads St) and it is close to the embassy Suites and Doubletreee ( head right leaving the lobby area). There is also a Rite Aid drug store in the Crystal City shops.
The room was fine with the usual ammenities ( some of the furniture is begining to show some wear and tear and the tv remote control had the occasional problem.
The bathroom had two light switches and a warming lamp.

The breakfast buffet on saturday in the restaurant was fine ( $15 for the full american with omlettes made on request) but when I left there was a queue outside the restaurant ( all seemed to be conventioneers) I also got some laundry done ( quite reasonable)
Starbucks was open until 3pm.
On sunday when I went down for breakfast at 8am there was a massive queue outside the restaurant waiting to be served ( all conventioneers) I gave up and walked to the doubletree for breakfast ( no queue)
I had a late flight (2300) on Sunday so I paid for the room until Monday ( I also got 2500 megabonus points and double points).Whilst waiting for the taxi in the lobby there was a large queue to check in
The soda machines on the floors now take credit cards.

The fitness centre is on the 2nd floor and there are some cycle machines by the indoor pool
Overall an ok stay
Regards

TBS
Old May 12, 2007, 3:54 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
All,

Thanks for the recommendation ... I'm heading to DC in July and had booked the Crystal City, but I've just switched to the Crystal Gateway.

For the days around July 4th, they are the same price.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 12, 2007, 6:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Well, since we have revived the thread and it looks like the everyone is in agreement that the Crystal Gateway is the better hotel, I thought I might through in the counter point.

I thought the indoor pool at the Crystal City was significantly better than the Crystal Gateway's. It was bigger and even had lap lanes to get some exercising in. ^ But other than that, I agree that the Gateway is the better of the two. The two weekends I stayed there with the family (and some friends) the Gateway was nice enough to upgrade one of the rooms to a nice suite room, but I did have to ask for it at check-in. @:-)
Old May 12, 2007, 6:54 am
Suspended

Gateway, hands down.

By the way, the Gateway is still a Category 4 while the Crystal City property is a Category 5.
Old May 12, 2007, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Stayed at both during Freddies weekend & Gateway wins. Cheers.
Old May 12, 2007, 9:34 pm
Suspended

I should also add that the breakfast buffet is excellent -- I love grits!! -- as it not only has the de rigeur ommelette station and excellent bacon (one time it also had turkey bacon, as well, on offer), but it also has pine nuts, pistachio nuts, walnuts, craisins, and at the far end of the cereal/dairy buffet, there also is lox and cream cheese and capers and onions, etc.

Furthermore, this is all complimentary to all Gold and Platinum members -- even on weekends, too! ^
Old May 13, 2007, 12:28 am

Hello All,

By far, I prefer the Crystal Gateway. I stayed at the Crystal City Marriott once; I had a nice stay there. But it's something about the location where the Gateway is located. The Concierge Lounge serves a good breakfast; the main restaurant does too when I'm there. U.S. Post Office is across the street in case I need to mail any items. The Crystal City Mall is a nice touch; The Crystal City Marriott is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Gateway (if walking thru the mall). There are many shops and restaurants to see. The Pentagon City Mall is about a 10-15 minute walk (depending on your walking speed) from the Gateway.

The parking rate is a better deal when parking at a meter vs parking under the hotel where there is no security. When parking directly across the street from the Gateway at the meter, the cost per day (Monday thru Friday) is $5.00 per day vs paying $16 per night under the hotel. Keep in mind that the rate is good between 8am and 6pm (10 hours daily). After 6pm, the parking is free. The meter parking is free on weekends. However, if you park on the same side as the hotel, you pay parking costs for Saturday at the meter.

I have a business trip for Thursday and Friday this week (May 17th-19th) in Washington. However, I will be staying at the Gateway for my trip. The streets in Arlington in the Crystal City area are much easier to deal with than DC. I usually stay in Arlington whenever I have a DC trip.

Marcell

Last edited by Marcell; May 13, 2007 at 9:33 pm Reason: Grammar
Old May 13, 2007, 9:46 am
Suspended

Marcell's genrealization about the parking meters is on the whole correct, but you really must read the meter, itself. Some meters clock off at 5 PM and some meters are active on Saturday, whereas some meters are not -- although these are not directly opposite the hotel but on nearby side streets, like the one running along the other side of the post office that Marcel mentions. Just be careful to see what parking rules obtain to the meter you park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.