Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:30 pm

I just noticed the Wiki above saying "Note: Leahi Lounge reopened on Oct 25!". The website still shows that it's closed.
Curious which is right because I'm going in a few days and got upgraded to a Club Oceanfront room.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:00 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dmk11
I just noticed the Wiki above saying "Note: Leahi Lounge reopened on Oct 25!". The website still shows that it's closed.
Curious which is right because I'm going in a few days and got upgraded to a Club Oceanfront room.

Hello,
I called the Sheraton Waikiki who stated the Leahi Lounge is still "temporarily" closed, with no date planned for reopening.
dmk11 and anteater like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dmk11
That was for 2019 renovations. I’ll delete.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by spgplatfromchitown
This hotel is going downhill quickly. It's all about the bottom dollar now. I guess they are trying to make up from lost revenue from the pandemic. Be prepared to have a different feel if you have status as a Marriott member.

We've always been upgraded to the Kai, Ohana, or Malia Suite. We visit for a week 2 times a year. We were last here in May 2021. The breakfast benefit was a buffet much smaller than the lounge options but not bad at all. Now it's the yogurt, 2 pastry, fruit and coffee OR juice (You can't have both!).

We did NOT get a suite upgrade this trip even though it shows rooms available. The front desk told me some sketchy story that floors 9-17 were shut down because of low occupancy but if you were to "buy" the room, they would open it up. Makes no sense. I have an inquiry call into corporate.

So dissapointed in this place. May have to switch to the Hyatt.
That’s disappointing to hear that the upgrades are less likely now due to closed floors. It makes sense that # of tourists probably dropped recently due to the recommendation to stay away. Did you try asking if a suite would become available mid stay?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anteater
With respect to Bonvoy, I believe it only calls for upgrading into a standard suite. So, perhaps the hotel isn’t denying benefits but rather simply being less generous during a financially difficult time.
This property has traditionally upgraded to Malia, Ohana, and Kai suites.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
This property has traditionally upgraded to Malia, Ohana, and Kai suites.
And the original question.. are those standard suites or specialty / luxury suites? Because if they aren’t standard suites, no elite benefit is being denied. Yes, it’s a sad change to observe.

🙃
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the original question.. are those standard suites or specialty / luxury suites? Because if they aren’t standard suites, no elite benefit is being denied. Yes, it’s a sad change to observe.

🙃
The only suite I’ve ever seen in the SNA pool is the Malia suite and quite often it’s not even there, just upgrades to ocean front room.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The only suite I’ve ever seen in the SNA pool is the Malia suite and quite often it’s not even there, just upgrades to ocean front room.
I've seen Ohana suite in the pool as well.
And the original question.. are those standard suites or specialty / luxury suites? Because if they aren’t standard suites, no elite benefit is being denied.
The suite upgrades as "guaranteed" benefit is essentially a meaningless concept at this point, given that properties have latitude to define their upgrade pool entirely as they see fit. So at this point it's really a matter of how properties choose to treat elites, rather than compliance with Bonvoy T&C.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So at this point it's really a matter of how properties choose to treat elites, rather than compliance with Bonvoy T&C.
unless they attempt to treat them better than the T&C in which case they’ll be written up for a violation
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: Yes
I've seen Ohana suite in the pool as well.

The suite upgrades as "guaranteed" benefit is essentially a meaningless concept at this point, given that properties have latitude to define their upgrade pool entirely as they see fit. So at this point it's really a matter of how properties choose to treat elites, rather than compliance with Bonvoy T&C.
I think there’s a functional difference between the SNA upgrade pool and suite categories. I completely agree that hotels have been adjusting their SNA pool to the detriment of the customer, but are there any datapoints that hotels are recategorizing their suites as higher tiers so as to not be obligated to tender them to the appropriate elites?

My point here is while the change in suite assignment to elites is disappointing, we don’t know if it’s actually against the T&Cs.

Personally, I know several hotels have been reprimanded by Marriott for exceeding the benefits as defined under the Bonvoy program.

I’ll try to chat with management soon on this topic, but I would save the pitch forks for now.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:59 pm

What upgrade is possible

So we are staying there in 2 weeks.

I booked the Ocean front so already there an upgrade. Pointsaver made it affordable using points.

I have suite night upgrades left so put in for those and think next level up is with a better Oceanview and Diamond head?

My question is (so I can ask properly) what are the Malia, Ohana, and Kai I see mentioned here?

Bigger rooms? Actual suites with two areas? Or is that the Oceanfront rooms so just a different name than the system shows?

With the lounge closed what is their policy on drinks? It annoys me when they close the lounge then charge for soda and water bottles. That used to be available 24/7 pre COVID and should still be
thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:20 am

I completely agree that hotels have been adjusting their SNA pool to the detriment of the customer, but are there any datapoints that hotels are recategorizing their suites as higher tiers so as to not be obligated to tender them to the appropriate elites?
One specific example I can recall is StR San Francisco, which as a matter of reported policy now will not upgrade beyond Grand Deluxe room. There are others as well.
My point here is while the change in suite assignment to elites is disappointing, we don’t know if it’s actually against the T&Cs.
Properties have always had an out under the T&C. Here's the relevant verbiage, with key language highlighted:
Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.
What's been happening is that more and more properties are now taking advantage of that last sentence to refuse suite upgrades, with the disease now spreading rampantly among former SPG properties as well.

And of course even with SNAs, there's no requirement that a property actually put suites in its SNA pool. I don't believe Sheraton Waikiki makes true suites available for SNA anymore, with highest available SNA option now being Large Luxury Larger Guest room (yes, that's what they actually call it, another example of the Marriott sickness spreading through the SPG universe).
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
One specific example I can recall is StR San Francisco, which as a matter of reported policy now will not upgrade beyond Grand Deluxe room. There are others as well.
Properties have always had an out under the T&C. Here's the relevant verbiage, with key language highlighted:
What's been happening is that more and more properties are now taking advantage of that last sentence to refuse suite upgrades, with the disease now spreading rampantly among former SPG properties as well.

And of course even with SNAs, there's no requirement that a property actually put suites in its SNA pool. I don't believe Sheraton Waikiki makes true suites available for SNA anymore, with highest available SNA option now being Large Luxury Larger Guest room (yes, that's what they actually call it, another example of the Marriott sickness spreading through the SPG universe).
So we have a new set of guidelines for awards coming to a Marriott near you, that of course will bring about a whole new landscape for us using points. This will further muddy the waters for upgrades the Sheraton will certainly be one to watch we are planning a return right around the time this kicks in.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeak01
So we are staying there in 2 weeks.

I booked the Ocean front so already there an upgrade. Pointsaver made it affordable using points.

I have suite night upgrades left so put in for those and think next level up is with a better Oceanview and Diamond head?

My question is (so I can ask properly) what are the Malia, Ohana, and Kai I see mentioned here?

Bigger rooms? Actual suites with two areas? Or is that the Oceanfront rooms so just a different name than the system shows?

With the lounge closed what is their policy on drinks? It annoys me when they close the lounge then charge for soda and water bottles. That used to be available 24/7 pre COVID and should still be
thanks!
Welcome to FT!

I assume you have Plat or higher? Don’t waste your SNAs on anything other than a suite. Ocean front rooms are the minimum upgrade at this hotel and more than half of the rooms are ocean front because of the design of the hotel. They do not pre-upgrade to suites at this hotel but 4-5 days out they upgrade to ocean front room. At check in, ask nicely if they have a suite. If they don’t, ask if they’ll have one the next day. The Kai and Ohana suites are 1100 sq ft. The Malia suite is 875 sq ft. They all have separate living rooms. No idea what the bigger room is but if it’s the one with 3 double beds, avoid at all costs. It’s like being in a dorm. (I got one to shower in once when I got a late check out.)

Your resort fee includes a water bag which you can fill at water stations (see pic I posted a couple of pages back). No replacement for alcoholic beverages while lounge is closed.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Your best chances for a suite at this property is when it is under high occupancy - they will oversell regular rooms knowing they will upgrade elites to suites. And they have a lot of suites.

Tourism is picking back up - albeit slowly - so with some floors closed - and lower occupancy - and with not all housekeeping staff recalled (not unique to this property) - suites will be a more challenging upgrade.

And being a repeat customer will also help your chances - they track that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.