Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by mottai
Thanks a lot for everyone who answered my questions about the upgrade. My family(2 adults and 2 kids (age 12, 11)) stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for the Spring Break from Apr 2 - Apr 9. I booked a Cityview room with 2 double beds sometime in Jan/Feb. At that time of booking, I had an option to book using points in a suite, but I decided against using points. I also did not use the SNA. At the time of booking, I thought not most people will travel during COVID. I was upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront High Floor with Diamond Head view with 2 Double beds around 2 weeks before the check-in date. I kept calling almost everyday(two weeks before check-in) to see if I will upgraded to a suite. Two days before check-in, they moved me to a room with 1 king and 1 double. After we checked-in, I kept checking with them at 1:00 pm on most days. After 3 days, they upgraded me to Malia Oceanfront Suite. My family was happy to stay in the suite for 4 days.

We had a great fun at the Waikiki beach. We are not great swimmers, but learnt to snorkel in the waikiki beach because there was no waves and it was not deep. We had great time in Hanauma Bay snorkelling there. If you are planning to go to Hanauma Bay, get there earlier at around 7:00 am ....
So your obsessive calling is a good thing? That can also be very counter productive plus possibly negative effect of on how desk agents view FT'ers. In all the years if business travel and personal I have found that if it's offered take it why worry all the way over on the plane or worst standing in a long line worrying that the "last" upgrade was just given out in front of you! You juts got lucky I promise you that's all it was.

Mahalo
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:52 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mottai
Thanks a lot for everyone who answered my questions about the upgrade. My family(2 adults and 2 kids (age 12, 11)) stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for the Spring Break from Apr 2 - Apr 9. I booked a Cityview room with 2 double beds sometime in Jan/Feb. At that time of booking, I had an option to book using points in a suite, but I decided against using points. I also did not use the SNA. At the time of booking, I thought not most people will travel during COVID. I was upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront High Floor with Diamond Head view with 2 Double beds around 2 weeks before the check-in date. I kept calling almost everyday(two weeks before check-in) to see if I will upgraded to a suite. Two days before check-in, they moved me to a room with 1 king and 1 double. After we checked-in, I kept checking with them at 1:00 pm on most days. After 3 days, they upgraded me to Malia Oceanfront Suite. My family was happy to stay in the suite for 4 days.

We had a great fun at the Waikiki beach. We are not great swimmers, but learnt to snorkel in the waikiki beach because there was no waves and it was not deep. We had great time in Hanauma Bay snorkelling there. If you are planning to go to Hanauma Bay, get there earlier at around 7:00 am ....
Pretty lousy behavior. If you really want a suite then pay for it. Otherwise wait until your SNA clears 5 days before, or if you didn't use one, until you check in.

Repeatedly calling a property that historically has been pretty good at upgrading, is pretty bad for all those who will visit afterwards. Imagine if everyone did the same thing.
bocastephen, kilo, dayone and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edgewood49
So your obsessive calling is a good thing? That can also be very counter productive plus possibly negative effect of on how desk agents view FT'ers. In all the years if business travel and personal I have found that if it's offered take it why worry all the way over on the plane or worst standing in a long line worrying that the "last" upgrade was just given out in front of you! You juts got lucky I promise you that's all it was.

Mahalo
This is probably taken directly from Flyertalk 101 Lesson 1, Chapter 5: "When you don't want an upgrade and are OK with a hotel treating you badly during your stay, then do the following....."

I have a booking coming up in a couple of weeks here and have a very specific requirement for the oceanfront category room that I booked - that it face Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head and not the opposite direction or out directly to the ocean. In fact, this is far more important to me than getting a suite, so I plan to call or message the property ONCE a few days before my stay to make sure the front desk acknowledges the request and has a reasonable timeframe to make sure it happens. I can't imagine calling them almost daily for two weeks is going to have a positive outcome for my request.

Having said that, any recent stay reports over the past week or so? I did end up reserving a mini cabana and umbrella chair at the pool facing the ocean for our one designated pool/beach day, although I put in a written request which I expect to be honored that the chairs are moved together since there are 3 of us. I reserved very specific locations to make this easy to do.
NYC Flyer and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Explat, MVP 75K, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is probably taken directly from Flyertalk 101 Lesson 1, Chapter 5: "When you don't want an upgrade and are OK with a hotel treating you badly during your stay, then do the following....."

I have a booking coming up in a couple of weeks here and have a very specific requirement for the oceanfront category room that I booked - that it face Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head and not the opposite direction or out directly to the ocean. In fact, this is far more important to me than getting a suite, so I plan to call or message the property ONCE a few days before my stay to make sure the front desk acknowledges the request and has a reasonable timeframe to make sure it happens. I can't imagine calling them almost daily for two weeks is going to have a positive outcome for my request.

Having said that, any recent stay reports over the past week or so? I did end up reserving a mini cabana and umbrella chair at the pool facing the ocean for our one designated pool/beach day, although I put in a written request which I expect to be honored that the chairs are moved together since there are 3 of us. I reserved very specific locations to make this easy to do.
I’m sure they will be able to make your requests. Resort did not look to be more than 50% full (was staying next food at the royal Hawaiian but frequented the Sheraton quite a bit. For the cabana, I’m sure they will be able to honor or you could also most likely move around the chairs the day of. It didn’t look too strict when I was there:
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by chaxiu
I’m sure they will be able to make your requests. Resort did not look to be more than 50% full (was staying next food at the royal Hawaiian but frequented the Sheraton quite a bit. For the cabana, I’m sure they will be able to honor or you could also most likely move around the chairs the day of. It didn’t look too strict when I was there:
Your not "seeing" the real point of our remarks
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if the Club Lounge is reopening this week? Just noticed my reservation change and reflect a Club Oceanfront room but thought the lounge is closed. Not sure if others have seen similar while the lounge is closed.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Does anyone know if the Club Lounge is reopening this week? Just noticed my reservation change and reflect a Club Oceanfront room but thought the lounge is closed. Not sure if others have seen similar while the lounge is closed.
I will be there on Saturday and report back
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They've been pre-upgrading elites to those rooms throughout the pandemic. It means nothing, except you've been upgraded.
anteater likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Stayed the other week, a couple notes:
  • Stay: One week, 2 rooms, one on points, one paid
  • Upgrade: Both rooms upgraded to deluxe (?) ocean views at some point prior to arrival (heard at check in they were upgrading people to better views to with birthdays/honey moons ect...)
    • After asking at check in for any upgrades since family was with, desk clerk ran to the back for 5min, came back saying there was a "cancellation" and they could move 1 room to a Malia Suite (Diamond Head/Bay View), amazing room!
  • Breakfast: Like others said, continental buffet, you can eat in restaurant or take to go boxes, as much as you want. There was everything folks said above, but also there was a hot meat option each morning (usually sausage, lucked out with maple bacon 1 morning), saw multiple people coming down and loading up take out boxes (presumably for family back in room) - they noted our room for contact tracing but multiple mornings both rooms used the card for breakfast with no issue back to back
  • Pool/Hotel: Was only crowded on Saturday/Sunday and we still never had trouble getting free chairs pool side, Infinity Pool was a bit more crowded but when we left mid-week the place seemed dead. Lounge still closed and they didn't know when it would reopen when asked, they serviced the room each day, and only the market (breakfast) and Rum Fire are open still, no issue with 4p late check out on departure but only valid on one room.
Thanks so much for all the comments here I was able to read prior to our trip. We had a fantastic time and the room upgrade was a life saver with kids. Definitely one of our favorite properties now!
Old May 4, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like IrishYoman was a little bit more fortunate than me on the room upgrade! Here is a recap of my thoughts:
  • Stay: 4 nights - paid rate booked 2 Dbl Oceanfront
  • Upgrade: None - room changed to "Club 2 Dbl Oceanfront" in app but this doesn't mean anything at the moment as the club lounge is closed. Maybe they just reserve the rooms on 30th floor for this category?
    • We arrived late from SFO - arriving at hotel around 10pm and asked about upgrade to a Suite (one of the few times I care as I had wife + kids on this trip) and was told none available even though Marriott App was still selling 2 different suites for the dates of our stay
  • Room: The hotel rooms are very small - if you have 2 adults and 2 kids with bags, you will struggle to find space in the room to put the bags without being in the way. Our initial room had an inoperative TV and maintenance couldn't fix it so we got moved down a few rooms - but still a 2 Dbl bed Oceanfront room on 30th floor. It was nice that the rooms were recently updated and featured ample charging ports, nice sized TV, Japanese style toilet and nice balcony. We even were able to see Sea Turtles from our room on the last day!
  • Breakfast: The complimentary Continental breakfast was OK and had a hot station at the end that cycled each day while the traditional options were static (fruit bowl, yogurt, croissant, bread pudding). Kids were a little upset there wasn't any cereal and it required making a request to get jelly for the croissant (wasn't out there to grab). If you don't have complimentary breakfast I'd advise skipping this place - everything on menu is over $30 - there are tons of shops and restaurants around (Starbucks, Denny's, etc) that offer better prices and breakfast foods
  • Pool: We had quite the interesting stay - first day (a Friday) the pool was extremely quiet and no issue getting good chairs and enjoying ourselves. Oh how things changed on Saturday and Sunday - the hotel was jam packed and pool was so full. People were coming down during breakfast (around 8am) to reserve chairs at both the Infinity pool and the larger pool. Lots of drunk people - one group came with a cooler and their own portable boombox and were playing loud music which was seemingly ignored by staff (even though this is clearly not allowed based on the policies/rules they provided at check in). At one point on Saturday, they started checking wrist bands and room keys as I believe quite a few non-hotel guests were enjoying the facilities.
  • Restaurant: We enjoyed the food and beverage at Rum Fire - the menu isn't huge and prices are as you'd expect at a resort in Hawaii (Drinks $15+, Appetizers $20, Entrees $30-40, Kids Menu $15)
  • Beach: There is a lot of construction occurring at the moment on Waikiki beach and they were moving sand - so just be aware that portions of beach are closed and/or very busy because of said closures
  • Check out: No issue getting 4pm late checkout
Overall, I'm not the biggest Hawaii fan and this trip didn't do much to want to make me return to the Sheraton Waikiki. It is painful to pay so much for so little - some things definitely aren't the hotels fault but with Hawaii seeing soaring numbers of tourists with international borders closed, I'd probably advise to rethink a Hawaii trip until sometime after international travel resumes. It is quite busy and not very relaxing at the moment.
Finkface, Kacee and polyesther like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Upgrade: None - room changed to "Club 2 Dbl Oceanfront" in app but this doesn't mean anything at the moment as the club lounge is closed. Maybe they just reserve the rooms on 30th floor for this category.
For other Titaniums and up, I think the strategy here is book the cheapest room, because the upgrade to Club Oceanfront a week out seems to be the standard.

I'd probably advise to rethink a Hawaii trip until sometime after international travel resumes. It is quite busy and not very relaxing at the moment.
How we felt about Wailea as well, and Waikiki was even worse. The pandemic seems to have increased the prevalence of selfish, anti-social behavior.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yikes. I would have thought that Hawaii in the summer wouldn't be too bad until the school year finishes, roughly in midJune.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yikes. I would have thought that Hawaii in the summer wouldn't be too bad until the school year finishes, roughly in midJune.
It’s been increasingly worse since February. There is a lot of pent of travel demand. Try to book a large enough room that you’ll be comfortable spending time in and avoid going out during peak hours if you want to be relaxed.

It’s Hawaii, so as long as you’re relaxed it’s hard to complain. 🤙🏻
Finkface and Kacee like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kacee
For other Titaniums and up, I think the strategy here is book the cheapest room, because the upgrade to Club Oceanfront a week out seems to be the standard.

How we felt about Wailea as well, and Waikiki was even worse. The pandemic seems to have increased the prevalence of selfish, anti-social behavior.
I said that in another thread and got stalked and crucified by one particular forum member so watch your back! But so, so true and it is getting worse by the day. I long for the day that international travelers return.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
April occupancy in Waikiki averaged less than 50% - and Maui was the highest in the state with an average of 50% (which was slightly better than March). It seems busy with at least 50% of the pool lounge chairs removed and restaurants only allowing 50% or less occupancy. Practically all hotels have not recalled all their employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.