Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well it's not like they send out advance warnings so I'm not quite so willing to give them a pass on this. They could easily set up an elite line and have it feed to the same agents who are also serving the regular lines.

With no resort fee waiver, breakfast cuts, limited suite upgrades, and (apparently) no elite check-in, the elite value proposition grows ever more limited. Death by a thousand cuts.
Exactly. Besides the labor cost of putting out the elite queue sign and mat and a memo to front desk staff informing them of the queue change, I am genuinely curious as to how the hotel would be impacted by operating an elite queue. Any front desk employee should be capable of checking in a guests, elite or otherwise.

Last edited by anteater; May 8, 2021 at 6:02 pm
Old May 9, 2021, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am writing right now from a Holiday Inn Express where this morning we had a buffet breakfast of cheese omelets, gravy, sausage, biscuits, cereal, breads and wrapped fruit - so I still need to question how and why a discount hotel chain with low rates can offer this variety to all guests, while a resort hotel like the Sheraton Waikiki with rates above $200/n couldn't put this same spread behind those same plexiglass panels and offer these items served by staff complimentary to Elite customers and for $34.99 to regular guests (most of whom would pay for it given all of the plated options are $30+).

This, and the lack of an Elite check-in line are really the only sour spots for an otherwise great Waikiki hotel.
anteater likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but I don't see any additional cost associated with an elite line beyond the investment in signage and perhaps a rug. The agent working the elite line calls the next person from the regular line whenever there are no elite customers waiting. In fact, you could argue that this saves money if not all agents need to be trained in elite benefits and program rules.
Sometimes hotels use a the required "dedicated" person for accounting purposes prior to Covid I had encountered this several times, not alarmingly consistent nevertheless there. Having experience on the interworking of s number of these franchisees some adhere to the agreement some push them. In any event its the GM of a particular property.

Back to point I fear this is a growing trend case in point when Marriott purchased AC hotels that told you where the future could be which is why prior Covid that brand saw the greatest door count increase. Interesting the new builds are in many cases tied to a higher level co brand sharing the same space.

Whatever it is we will all adjust to it.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
Exactly. Besides the labor cost of putting out the elite queue sign and mat and a memo to front desk staff informing them of the queue change, I am genuinely curious as to how the hotel would be impacted by operating an elite queue. Any front desk employee should be capable of checking in a guests, elite or otherwise.
It could just be as simple as - they don't want an elite line. They probably don't care. They don't want to put up signs. They just have no interest. Elites are just not that special in Hawaii.

If every elite stayed away from the Sheraton Waikiki they'd probably be thrilled.
anteater likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It could just be as simple as - they don't want an elite line. They probably don't care. They don't want to put up signs. They just have no interest. Elites are just not that special in Hawaii.
Well that would be quite a dramatic change from this property's traditional approach. Just ask margaritagirl.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well that would be quite a dramatic change from this property's traditional approach. Just ask margaritagirl.
I stay here all the time and never have had the issues FT members seem to have.

Complain about an elite line - really?
Old May 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Actually I think the comment that sparked this was a caution by someone who recently stayed that the lines could get long at check-in and that there was no longer an elite line.

I've never experienced at Sheraton Waikiki, but having seen the difference between regular and elite lines at HHV and Waikiki Marriott, I would definitely consider it a potentially significant consideration. Don't know about you, but I would not be happy to start my Hawaii vacation with a 30 minute-plus wait to check-in.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
Is the pool sharing a new policy?

On the rare occasion that I’ve stayed at the RH/SH over the Moana, the pool attendants would check that I was a guest of the respective hotel.
I have no clue about the Moana but they definitely have pool sharing between the Royal and the Sheraton and have for many years.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I stay here all the time and never have had the issues FT members seem to have.

Would you rather stand in line for 30-45+ minutes or be checked in and in your room in 5-10 minutes?

Elite lines are an expected benefit of all Marriott properties, there is no exemption for certain locations, aside from the fact this hotel had one in the recent past and as things get busy again, should have one going forward.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Would you rather stand in line for 30-45+ minutes or be checked in and in your room in 5-10 minutes?
What bothers some people clearly doesn't bother me - I'd be much more excited about a Hawaii vacation than worrying about the line to check in. I'd send my significant other off to Rum Fire and deal with it. I've never been excited about jumping the queue.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:04 am

What bothers some people clearly doesn't bother me - I'd be much more excited about a Hawaii vacation than worrying about the line to check in. I'd send my significant other off to Rum Fire and deal with it. I've never been excited about jumping the queue.

I think for a lot of us that travel for business extensively coming off a 5 for the coast to 9 or so from the east we are hyped and want to get checked in. And yes Elite Check in lines is a part of the program and to be expected. Having said all this we have a ways to go before some form of "normal" returns so let's give these properties a chance to get back up and running.
TravisMT81 and NW-A332 like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Having said all this we have a ways to go before some form of "normal" returns so let's give these properties a chance to get back up and running.
That nails it - there is nothing "normal" about staying in hotels and airplane travel at the current time. Restaurants closed, housekeeping changes, continental breakfast, closed lounges, reduced capacity at pools and restaurants, reduced amenities on planes - they even make you wear your mask at pool chairs in Vegas - nothing is normal.

One can let it frustrate you - or you move on with the new normal.
ExArkie likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 7:58 am

That nails it - there is nothing "normal" about staying in hotels and airplane travel at the current time. Restaurants closed, housekeeping changes, continental breakfast, closed lounges, reduced capacity at pools and restaurants, reduced amenities on planes - they even make you wear your mask at pool chairs in Vegas - nothing is normal.

One can let it frustrate you - or you move on with the new normal.
YEP and a tourist is a tourist no matter who or how they got there its just more income for Hawaiians and they need it. Now what will be interesting is to see how "the other side will look like" For me I think there will be some real adjustments by the hotel operators.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
Upgrades post Covid

I am a Lifetime Titanium Elite and made a reservation back in March for next week at this hotel. I booked the least expensive room available at that time (City View Doubles) and they just upgraded me to Deluxe Oceanfront Doubles.

I have stayed here many times in the past (Pre-Covid) and almost every time received an upgrade to a suite from the least expensive room type. So I post this as a data point for those who book in the near future, if you want/need a suite you will probably have to book that as the hotel doesn't seem to be as generous with upgrades right now.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by PHXonUA
I am a Lifetime Titanium Elite and made a reservation back in March for next week at this hotel. I booked the least expensive room available at that time (City View Doubles) and they just upgraded me to Deluxe Oceanfront Doubles.

I have stayed here many times in the past (Pre-Covid) and almost every time received an upgrade to a suite from the least expensive room type. So I post this as a data point for those who book in the near future, if you want/need a suite you will probably have to book that as the hotel doesn't seem to be as generous with upgrades right now.
There is also increased demand, so upgrades are harder to clear. As of today, I only see the Kai Suite (a luxury suite) available.

With people beginning to travel, it’s better to begin booking what you’ll be comfortable with and keep expectations lower than usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.