Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well that would explain the fantastic experience a travel companion had at the Courtyard a few months ago, but the Alohilani is a solid choice.
I've not stayed at the Alohilani since the remodel - but I'd never recommend the Courtyard regardless of the experience. Some of the worse rooms in Waikiki on the lower floors overlooking the traffic and noise of Kuhio Avenue.

I've always felt sorry for people sitting on lanai thinking that alone would ruin a trip.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Well that would explain the fantastic experience a travel companion had at the Courtyard a few months ago, but the Alohilani is a solid choice.
Kelly took Jones to the Alohilani with him.

Back on topic, here is what a $42 + tax resort fee gets you at the SW.

And these are the water bags found in each room!

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 22, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still have my water bags! They were useful on the flight home, and I've sometimes used them since, although I suspect after awhile they might get moldy inside.

Looking through my archive of Hawaiian cultural practices, I was hard pressed to find 'water Zumba' on the list, but since Kamehameha was a pretty forward thinking guy, perhaps he tried it out. I am equally fascinated about how a key to your room can be considered part of a 'resort fee' benefits.

I think it's pretty clear which market the SW is chasing these days.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I had a short stay at Sheraton Waikiki on a weekend in September. I used points (50k per night) to book and applied SNA’s to the reservation with the top option being Deluxe Oceanfront Diamond Head View, no suite options for the Suite Night Awards! SNA cleared 5 days out and at check in I asked for and was given a Malia Ocean Suite which was showing available on Marriott app which turned out to be a great room. It was spacious, with a large balcony overlooking the beach and Diamond Head in the distance, and a second smaller balcony off the bathroom. It had a separate bedroom, dining table, couch & lounge chairs and tons of storage space, a great room.

The check-in line was long and while there were two lines it didn't appear one was elite or not and certainly no one was directing which to use. I received my coupon for a grab bag from the special elite gift shop as well as breakfast vouchers. While a little odd, the grab bag process was more than some other Marriott properties in Hawaii did and certainly isn't required so I appreciated it. The self parking was charged additional $35 and had in/out privileges using your room key bracelet. Of course the resort fee ($36) is garbage but I feel that battle is lost now. I do appreciate the increase in water bottle filling stations and Marriott resorts in Hawaii are doing a good job with those. Breakfast was individually pre-plated with two mini pastries, some fruit and a sugar bomb yogurt with granola- not great but it was served quickly in a nice setting and I was on my way.

It was my first visit here so I can't comment on the past but I was happy with the room I ultimately got and that is the most important part to me and I would return again.
DaM3nace and anteater like this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When elites are charged a resort fee that includes elite benefits such as high speed wifi, there *should* be some alternative benefit offered to these elites. What does this property do?
manually likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When elites are charged a resort fee that includes elite benefits such as high speed wifi, there *should* be some alternative benefit offered to these elites. What does this property do?
They hand you an empty bag, and you go to a room full of treats to try and strategically stuff as many high value, desirable items into your little bag as possible. On the plus side, they don't have a countdown timer, buzzer or audience.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
they hand you an empty bag, and you go to a room full of treats to try and strategically stuff as many high value, desirable items into your little bag as possible. On the plus side, they don't have a countdown timer, buzzer or audience.

i love it !!!
Old Sep 30, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
i love it !!!
I'm not particularly fond of being treated like a contestant on Let's Make a Deal - I can almost hear Monty Hall screaming in the background "macadamia nuts! macadamia nuts!!" - it's not exactly a refined experience.

The Moana some years back had an actual "spin the wheel" game that Elite members would play for their alternate amenity - most of the wheel was 500 points, with a couple bonus win opportunities - again, not exactly a refined experience.

I guess in a way it beats the following response from the check-in staff at the Waikiki Marriott when asking about the alternative amenity:

margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:31 am

I'm not particularly fond of being treated like a contestant on Let's Make a Deal - I can almost hear Monty Hall screaming in the background "macadamia nuts! macadamia nuts!!" - it's not exactly a refined experience.

The Moana some years back had an actual "spin the wheel" game that Elite members would play for their alternate amenity - most of the wheel was 500 points, with a couple bonus win opportunities - again, not exactly a refined experience.

I guess in a way it beats the following response from the check-in staff at the Waikiki Marriott when asking about the alternative amenity:

If there is anything I have garnered from forty years of traveling business and pleasure is consistency something that has been lost in recent times. Yes Covid can be blamed for many issues today in travel but they're not the sole villain here, "equity capital" and their drive to the bottom line plays a huge role here. Our company averages 35% of its gross margin from hotel/motel restoration and reflagging exterior/structural work. Some of that work has been on a number of properties in the islands. While I will not disclose those but can say the scope of work on these properties has changed over the years, some so much we passed on bidding them.

So back to point Bocaststephan comment who want to play " Let's Make a Deal" after 5 or more hours on a plane? For heavens sake Sheraton management demeaning to me as a long time Marriott traveler. Wake me up when all this is over.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I did the "spin the wheel" game upon arrival at a USA HH about a decade ago. I remember some prizes as points but others were different types of selection from the market, such as "premium" soft drink or a choice ot potato chips, nuts, etc. I also remember a RI that had fortune cookies at the evening reception a few times where many of the fortunes were a few bonus points.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Quick question, staying in Sheraton Waikiki, and was able to get Best rate guarantee. Got a $210 rate city view after price match in mid Nov. Similar rate $220 at Royal Hawaiian. And of course a back up at Sheraton Princess for $120. Taking my dad.

For those that have stayed in Waikiki, which would you pick.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manually
Quick question, staying in Sheraton Waikiki, and was able to get Best rate guarantee. Got a $210 rate city view after price match in mid Nov. Similar rate $220 at Royal Hawaiian. And of course a back up at Sheraton Princess for $120. Taking my dad.

For those that have stayed in Waikiki, which would you pick.
All 3 are very different hotels and people will have different opinions based on what is important to them.

My favorite is the Sheraton Waikiki - they have some of the best pools in Waikiki. The Royal Hawaiian is historic - and while this shouldn't be an issue with occupancy low - you can get stuck in a smallish room. They charge to use beach chairs and the pool is small. If you are on a budget and don't mind crossing the street for the beach - then Princess Kaiulani is ok, but not as nice as either SW or RH - you get what you pay for. $210/$220 are great rates in my opinion.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
All 3 are very different hotels and people will have different opinions based on what is important to them.

My favorite is the Sheraton Waikiki - they have some of the best pools in Waikiki. The Royal Hawaiian is historic - and while this shouldn't be an issue with occupancy low - you can get stuck in a smallish room. They charge to use beach chairs and the pool is small. If you are on a budget and don't mind crossing the street for the beach - then Princess Kaiulani is ok, but not as nice as either SW or RH - you get what you pay for. $210/$220 are great rates in my opinion.
This is good advice. 🤙🏻

For $200~, SW is a good value especially with the pools. The RH will have a quieter, more refined feel. PK is an excellent value if you don't mind a 30 second walk across the street. It's hard to go wrong with any of these three.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by anteater
This is good advice. 🤙🏻

For $200~, SW is a good value especially with the pools. The RH will have a quieter, more refined feel. PK is an excellent value if you don't mind a 30 second walk across the street. It's hard to go wrong with any of these three.
Yep I would like to see the SP across the street continue with their renovations and new tower, I think this one might be a sleeper lower price point walk across the street to the beach and other Marriott properties where you if I am not mistaken still enjoy the faculties and sign a guest check, not so bad. AND you can have coffee on the veranda
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:53 pm

we stayed at both. i was upgraded to suite. we were on the first floor, which was nice since we didnt have to deal with the elevator. the room was nice and large, but it was also dark and "historic". it was definitely a trade off b/c you didnt get the hawaiian vibe till you were outside of your room but it was sweet just to have that much space.

at the sheraton, we were upgraded to ocean view and WOW that view was AMAZING. the bathroom was cramped though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.