Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ttb217
we stayed at both. i was upgraded to suite. we were on the first floor, which was nice since we didnt have to deal with the elevator. the room was nice and large, but it was also dark and "historic". it was definitely a trade off b/c you didnt get the hawaiian vibe till you were outside of your room but it was sweet just to have that much space.

at the sheraton, we were upgraded to ocean view and WOW that view was AMAZING. the bathroom was cramped though.
There are always trade off's but hey your in the islands on the beach enjoy ! Send us a picture.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:05 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I did a 4 night stay between Sun – Thursday this past week as a Titanium Elite.

On my last stay here in January 2020 (as a Titanium), I booked a base Garden / City View and was upgraded to an Oceanfront King, High Floor. I missed out on the suite upgrade; figuring that there are probably 50-100 Platinum + staying at this hotel at any one time.

On this stay, I booked a base Garden / City View. On pre-arrival, I noticed in the App that I had been upgraded from base to an Ocean View – King. I was going to apply SNA, but as reported, they don’t actually clear into any suite categories; only the Oceanfront King – High Floor category that I got last time for just being a Titanium Member being upgraded to best available room.

The night before check in, I checked the public website and noticed that there were Malia suites “almost sold out”, and Kai Suites available for sale. The largest Ohana Suites were completely sold out.

I have found that with the new Marriott Bonvoy program as a past Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum 75, much of the Marriott Bonvoy program is what you push for and that upgrades are never volunteered. I strategically checked in at 1 PM when there was no line at the Elite desk. Not wanting to take any chances, I did ask for the possibility of a Titanium suite upgrade and handed the host a $40 USD Sandwich. She left said "sandwich" on the counter and went to check with a manager in the back. I got the impression that front end staff had to clear suite upgrades / late checkouts with management. Later in the stay, I asked for a 4 PM check out, which was approved after they checked with management.

She came back with great news; that she had cleared me into a suite for the whole stay. She did indicate that it would have no running water for a portion of our stay (one day between 9:00 - 1:30 PM). I could certainly live with that. I left her with the sandwich as I went to the room.

I was amazed when I got to the room and found out we had been assigned a mid level KAI suite. It was really spectacular and was retailing for over $700 USD. I was expecting we'd be upgraded into the lower level Malia Suites.

I don’t normally do the sandwich thing and I’m not trying to set a bad precedent for our fellow Bonvoy Members, but rather offer a data point for those that need it. Our stay co-incided with our anniversary so it was a special occasion.

I didn’t get the impression that occupancy was all that low based on the number of lights on in the hotel from the beach at sunset. Either that or everyone has been upgraded to ocean facing rooms leaving the city rooms empty.

The Executive Lounge remains closed here (as they are at all Marriott Honolulu properties). I believe this is strictly a cost saving measure at this point.

At check in, I was offered both the breakfast option and welcome points (since the lounge remained closed). The continental breakfast has been changed to "unlimited" items on request; you could ask for 4 yoghurts if you wanted. We ended up splitting one upgrade portion and a continental between us most days as the upgrade portions are massive.

As a side note: I visited Duke's at the Outrigger. One night I turned up at 5:45 PM and was advised it would be a two hour wait. We were eventually seated after about 1 hr 20 minutes. On our last night, we turned up at 7:45 PM and were told that they were not taking any more walk in's for the evening and that they were completely full. So the demand for dining is certainly there, along with the reduced capacity under the Safe Travels Oahu mandates.
buschoi likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My experience at this hotel is if they have a suite, they will give you one. I am upgraded easily 95% of the time. A few times, I could not get a suite for the first night, but FD will tell me that there will be one available the next day and to come see them in the morning.

I find your bribe rather crass and more appropriate to the Vegas culture. I would have just said that I was celebrating an anniversary with my spouse.

I noticed on the website that the hotel is selling rooms with lounge access as of Oct 30th.

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 11, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My experience at this hotel is if they have a suite, they will give you one. I am upgraded easily 95% of the time. A few times, I could not get a suite for the first night, but FD will tell me that there will be one available the next day and to come see them in the morning.

I find your bribe rather crass and more appropriate to the Vegas culture.
I had the same thought. I can’t imagine many FD employees would risk their jobs for a bribe.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
I had the same thought. I can’t imagine many FD employees would risk their jobs for a bribe.
Only in Vegas.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

I find your bribe rather crass and more appropriate to the Vegas culture. I would have just said that I was celebrating an anniversary with my spouse.

I noticed on the website that the hotel is selling rooms with lounge access as of Oct 30th.
I would agree that the FD staff tries to give you a suite when they have one available and they have always checked with a manager in the back first. I have found that they don’t do so proactively but when you know what to ask for, they will try and accommodate and you can ask to move mid stay as well.

I have checked for lounge access rooms on prior stays and thought they were opening only to find it was not so I’m not sure I would rely on the rooms they sell. They seem to keep pushing it out.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
So we're saying that offering a tip is only appropriate in certain locations in the US?

Like I explained, my experience on the upgrades has been different than others. In this case, I was just describing the result as a data point.

The definition of bribe to me sounds as though it is something illegal, or attempting to influence a public official. I would imagine any tips get pooled into a central jar for staff that have likely had substantially less hours as a result of the pandemic's effects on tourism. I am certainly sympathetic to those in this sector, given the pandemic's environment.

It's great news that the lounge appears to be re-opening soon.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
So we're saying that offering a tip is only appropriate in certain locations in the US?

Like I explained, my experience on the upgrades has been different than others. In this case, I was just describing the result as a data point.

The definition of bribe to me sounds as though it is something illegal, or attempting to influence a public official. I would imagine any tips get pooled into a central jar for staff that have likely had substantially less hours as a result of the pandemic's effects on tourism. I am certainly sympathetic to those in this sector, given the pandemic's environment.

It's great news that the lounge appears to be re-opening soon.
Was it a tip though?

You referred to it as a sandwich and you offered it prior to asking for something.

🙌🏻🍹
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is not accepted practice nor appropriate to "tip" front desk staff, in the US or anywhere else I can think of. Rather, when cash is offered at the same time an upgrade is requested, it's clearly intended as a bribe, i.e., an inducement to provide a benefit in violation of the property's rules. A bribe need not be illegal to qualify as such.
TerryK, Tanic, TravisMT81 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is not accepted practice nor appropriate to "tip" front desk staff, in the US or anywhere else I can think of. Rather, when cash is offered at the same time an upgrade is requested, it's clearly intended as a bribe, i.e., an inducement to provide a benefit in violation of the property's rules. A bribe need not be illegal to qualify as such.
Well, there is a large hotel on the southern perimeter of Fort Derussy that encourages bribery.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tanic
Well, there is a large hotel on the southern perimeter of Fort Derussy that encourages bribery.
Really I didn't know that will try that. When I stayed there on R&R from Vietnam there must have been a different policy. I have some friends going over will pass that on.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Pretty well known in Vegas...

$20 Trick - It works very well
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:56 pm

Well - there certainly has been a lot of discussion about it.

I respectfully take a different view. I don't see this scenario as any different than leaving something for the housekeeper before they clean your room, or giving something to the valet before they physically park your car. Whether a tip is for a service performed, or antipcated, I don't see the order of it as a show stopper. Further, it's also not in violation of any rules or terms of the Marriott Bonvoy program to ask for a suite; it's a guaranteed benefit in the terms and conditions for elite members.

As a result, I don't see it as a bribe, or anything illegal for that matter. The hotel's response could have been, "it will cost you $ more for an upgrade to the next category of room" so please pay up.

Rather, this was simply provided to provide information on a stay experience, on a forum designed for sharing information. Your mileage and approach may vary.

My humble two cents...
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Delete. Not worth it.

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 12, 2021 at 10:25 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:27 pm

Well - there certainly has been a lot of discussion about it.

I respectfully take a different view. I don't see this scenario as any different than leaving something for the housekeeper before they clean your room, or giving something to the valet before they physically park your car. Whether a tip is for a service performed, or antipcated, I don't see the order of it as a show stopper. Further, it's also not in violation of any rules or terms of the Marriott Bonvoy program to ask for a suite; it's a guaranteed benefit in the terms and conditions for elite members.

As a result, I don't see it as a bribe, or anything illegal for that matter. The hotel's response could have been, "it will cost you $ more for an upgrade to the next category of room" so please pay up.

Rather, this was simply provided to provide information on a stay experience, on a forum designed for sharing information. Your mileage and approach may vary.

My humble two cents...
Except you don’t leave sandwiches for your housekeepers or valets. You leave them tips for services. Your actions are clearly a quid pro quo attempt.

Since it’s not how you interpret the act but rather the hotel’s let’s examine this from the Sheraton’s perspective.

I spoke with a manager and here’s what came of it:

Me: If a guest at check-in attempted to provide a monetary incentive to the FD agent before, during, or after asking for a suite upgrade, would the hotel consider this inappropriate?

M: Yes.

Me: If I placed cash on the counter intended for the agent and not as compensation to the hotel for my stay at check-in and asked if a suite upgrade was available, what would you describe it as?

M: Bribery.

Me: If this occurred at the property would you want to be aware of it?

M: Absolutely.

So, at least this hotel doesn’t approve of it. I’m guessing it’ll come at at the next staff and operations meeting too.

Mahalo 🤙🏻🍹
TerryK, margarita girl and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.