Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
And of course even with SNAs, there's no requirement that a property actually put suites in its SNA pool. I don't believe Sheraton Waikiki makes true suites available for SNA anymore, with highest available SNA option now being Large Luxury Larger Guest room (yes, that's what they actually call it, another example of the Marriott sickness spreading through the SPG universe).
They should change the name to "Larger Guest Room Night Awards"
spgplatfromchitown and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...And being a repeat customer will also help your chances - they track that.
I believe they used to track that and reward it - until they were dinged by Marriott, hence the defection of most of the staff that made this property so wonderful. Repeat guests at an Elite tier should be given better treatment for upgrades and other extras not offered to other guests, but with the hostility of Marriott towards customers, and the refusal to rock the boat by the Japanese franchisee, it appears better to just dumb down the product for everyone across the board.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I believe they used to track that and reward it - until they were dinged by Marriott, hence the defection of most of the staff that made this property so wonderful. Repeat guests at an Elite tier should be given better treatment for upgrades and other extras not offered to other guests, but with the hostility of Marriott towards customers, and the refusal to rock the boat by the Japanese franchisee, it appears better to just dumb down the product for everyone across the board.

No truer words have been spoken.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2 Million Mile member, SPG Plat
Just returned. Yes, I asked mid-stay a couple of times. The employees behind the "Chat" feature on the APP were much nicer (and polite) than the front desk. The front desk staff were just plain nasty. No smiles and they act like you should be grateful for them allowing you to stay at the property.

We used our SNA for the entire stay but never were upgraded to a suite. They need to change the name of the award. We did get an oceanfront deluxe room. We never used anything from the resort fee menu. We tried to make a lei making appointment but they must have like 2 slots available because we could never get a reservation.

They wanted to charge us $120/day for our 18-year-old daughter which came to $840 for a 7-night stay. I used the chat and asked them to remove the fee. We were ready to leave and check in the Sheraton Princess down the street for less than the $120 they wanted to charge just for our daughter. They ended up removing the charge.

We long for the days for our platinum titanium chairs at the pool, Jones' hospitality, Kelley Sanders, and the Lounge! Gone are the good old days! The killer was you couldn't have coffee and juice for the plat breakfast unless you wanted to pay extra. Give me a break! This hotel had come down to nickel and diming their loyal guests. Very sad!
Old Nov 1, 2021, 10:16 pm

This was the room we just upgraded to "Large Luxury Suite" we took it because our SNA's were expiring however, it was not impressive at all!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by spgplatfromchitown
Just returned. Yes, I asked mid-stay a couple of times. The employees behind the "Chat" feature on the APP were much nicer (and polite) than the front desk. The front desk staff were just plain nasty. No smiles and they act like you should be grateful for them allowing you to stay at the property.

We used our SNA for the entire stay but never were upgraded to a suite. They need to change the name of the award. We did get an oceanfront deluxe room. We never used anything from the resort fee menu. We tried to make a lei making appointment but they must have like 2 slots available because we could never get a reservation.

They wanted to charge us $120/day for our 18-year-old daughter which came to $840 for a 7-night stay. I used the chat and asked them to remove the fee. We were ready to leave and check in the Sheraton Princess down the street for less than the $120 they wanted to charge just for our daughter. They ended up removing the charge.

We long for the days for our platinum titanium chairs at the pool, Jones' hospitality, Kelley Sanders, and the Lounge! Gone are the good old days! The killer was you couldn't have coffee and juice for the plat breakfast unless you wanted to pay extra. Give me a break! This hotel had come down to nickel and diming their loyal guests. Very sad!

That's two post in a row that garners " No truer words have been spoken"
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This was the room we just upgraded to "Large Luxury Suite" we took it because our SNA's were expiring however, it was not impressive at all!
Is that the room with 3 beds in a row like a dorm? If yes, I agree. Terrible room.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While this is now the highest category room in the SNA pool, it doesn't have "suite" in the name. They call it "Large Luxury Larger Guest room." Classic example of a property dumping a known-to-be-undesirable room into the SNA pool. Really just a dirty trick on elites who think they'll be getting a better room as a reward for loyalty. Properties that do this should be ashamed of themselves.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
While this is now the highest category room in the SNA pool, it doesn't have "suite" in the name. They call it "Large Luxury Larger Guest room." Classic example of a property dumping a known-to-be-undesirable room into the SNA pool. Really just a dirty trick on elites who think they'll be getting a better room as a reward for loyalty. Properties that do this should be ashamed of themselves.
This move by the hotel isn't even funny - it really needs to be reported and escalated. These are the old Japanese group tour dorm rooms, some with 3 beds, some have more, IIRC some of the rooms had 5 twin beds stuffed inside - they are all small beds and were designed for groups on JTB and similar tours who were sharing rooms. To call these rooms luxury in any stretch, is beyond insulting because they are essentially hostel rooms, not even hotel rooms.

They need to be an end to this, pronto!
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Is that the room with 3 beds in a row like a dorm? If yes, I agree. Terrible room.
yes, it was the dorm room. Every time I think this hotel can't get worse, it does! For pete's sake, not being able to get coffee AND juice for the continental breakfast? So ridiculous.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:19 am

yes, it was the dorm room. Every time I think this hotel can't get worse, it does! For pete's sake, not being able to get coffee AND juice for the continental breakfast? So ridiculous.
"How low can you go" !! If one listened or read Mr. Capuano's comments regarding his franchise ownership groups it was more or less a green light to run their own show rather than toe the line which was reported by a number of travel bloggers of note.

It's sad that GM's are taking these steps all the while raising redemption rates which I believe we haven't seen the worse yet. Maybe when things settle down a year or two from now things will come back to some form of normal.

Thank you "equity capital"

Maybe the Marriott lurker will bring back orange juice to the Sheraton. We can always vote down Marriott this time around !
spgplatfromchitown likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
"How low can you go" !! If one listened or read Mr. Capuano's comments regarding his franchise ownership groups it was more or less a green light to run their own show rather than toe the line which was reported by a number of travel bloggers of note.

It's sad that GM's are taking these steps all the while raising redemption rates which I believe we haven't seen the worse yet. Maybe when things settle down a year or two from now things will come back to some form of normal.

Thank you "equity capital"

Maybe the Marriott lurker will bring back orange juice to the Sheraton. We can always vote down Marriott this time around !
Remember there is an important difference here - running your own show means you can disregard basic franchise requirements for service BUT you cannot enhance your services above Marriott standards for a select category of customer, ie Elite, frequent guests, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: Yes
edit: I received a detailed reply.

• The suites have club access and because the club lounge is closed, they are not currently in the SNA pool.
  • The suites are considered a higher class than a Standard Suite.
  • The hotel is re-aligning itself with respect to complimentary elite upgrades and potential paid upgrade revenue potential.
edgewood49 likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Nov 5, 2021 at 7:09 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
I tried bringing all of the concerns mentioned here to management, but my direct questions were ignored even after a follow-up. The big takeaway was that FD staff are highly incentivised to sell upgrades. The hotel seems focused on the bottom line and cost reduction, even at the expense of its reputation.

E kala mai i a`u. 🤙🏻

And this race to the bottom is still not close to be over with. Gotleib has said the pandemic is over yet we are getting boosters and frankly this will continue so hotels in Hawaii are still not out of the woods, yet
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
edit: I received a detailed reply.
  • The suites have club access and because the club lounge is closed, they are not currently in the SNA pool.
  • The suites are considered a higher class than a Standard Suite.
  • The hotel is re-aligning itself with respect to complimentary elite upgrades and potential paid upgrade revenue potential.
number 1 came out of a cow’s behind and number 3 seems to indicate they will arbitrarily block all complimentary and SNA upgrades using some nonsense excuse so they can sell the room upgrades instead. Marriott, of course, will do absolutely nothing.
edgewood49 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.