Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tanic
Well, there is a large hotel on the southern perimeter of Fort Derussy that encourages bribery.
Be sure to request the Presidential Suite.
Tanic and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anteater
I spoke with a manager and here’s what came of it:

Me: If a guest at check-in attempted to provide a monetary incentive to the FD agent before, during, or after asking for a suite upgrade, would the hotel consider this inappropriate?

M: Yes.

Me: If I placed cash on the counter intended for the agent and not as compensation to the hotel for my stay at check-in and asked if a suite upgrade was available, what would you describe it as?

M: Bribery.

Me: If this occurred at the property would you want to be aware of it?

M: Absolutely.

So, at least this hotel doesn’t approve of it. I’m guessing it’ll come at at the next staff and operations meeting too.

Mahalo 🤙🏻🍹
I'm very good friends with a former front desk manager at the Sheraton - this person who shall remain gender neutral worked at the hotel until 2019 when that person transferred to a mainland hotel.

Out and about in Vegas last night - I posed to this person the theoretical $40 offering - this persons response:

For a Titanium (or Platinum member) the $40 was totally unnecessary. Would've gotten the suite regardless.

But is it ok for the front desk agent to keep the $40 - sure, people do that now and then - but it doesn't really make any difference.

Would you really care - answer, not really.

Would a non-member or Gold garner a suite in the same scenario - this I didn't know - answer: Highly unlikely - front desk agents receive a commission from upsells.

For my own curiosity I posed the question - is there much a difference between Platinum and Titanium? Answer not really - you aren't really on our radar unless you are Ambassador.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Interesting
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:12 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
So we're saying that offering a tip is only appropriate in certain locations in the US?

Like I explained, my experience on the upgrades has been different than others. In this case, I was just describing the result as a data point.

The definition of bribe to me sounds as though it is something illegal, or attempting to influence a public official. I would imagine any tips get pooled into a central jar for staff that have likely had substantially less hours as a result of the pandemic's effects on tourism. I am certainly sympathetic to those in this sector, given the pandemic's environment.

It's great news that the lounge appears to be re-opening soon.
Your sandwich is simply a bribe.

It's not too hard to understand:

1. Someone performs a service you are happy about or involves a physical effort and/or on minimum wage -> tip can be given
2. You give a "tip" or "sandwich" to change an outcome -> bribe

A FD agent doesn't expect a tip. Perhaps if they give you directions, set you up for a restaurant reservation then it might be appropriate.
margarita girl and anteater like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GVA
Your sandwich is simply a bribe.

It's not too hard to understand:

1. Someone performs a service you are happy about or involves a physical effort and/or on minimum wage -> tip can be given
2. You give a "tip" or "sandwich" to change an outcome -> bribe

A FD agent doesn't expect a tip. Perhaps if they give you directions, set you up for a restaurant reservation then it might be appropriate.
At this particular hotel it won’t get you anything.

I did ask - what is the commission for upsell. It’s 10%. Which adds up. As I’ve been told - this particular hotel needs front desk manager approval for upgrades. The front desk agent can negotiate but ultimately it has to be approved.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm very good friends with a former front desk manager at the Sheraton - this person who shall remain gender neutral worked at the hotel until 2019 when that person transferred to a mainland hotel.

Out and about in Vegas last night - I posed to this person the theoretical $40 offering - this persons response:

For a Titanium (or Platinum member) the $40 was totally unnecessary. Would've gotten the suite regardless.

But is it ok for the front desk agent to keep the $40 - sure, people do that now and then - but it doesn't really make any difference.

Would you really care - answer, not really.

Would a non-member or Gold garner a suite in the same scenario - this I didn't know - answer: Highly unlikely - front desk agents receive a commission from upsells.

For my own curiosity I posed the question - is there much a difference between Platinum and Titanium? Answer not really - you aren't really on our radar unless you are Ambassador.
Thanks for this insight. It’s very helpful!
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2 Million Mile member, SPG Plat
room key wristbands/resort fee

Heading out to the SW on Friday. We were last there in May '21. Are they still using the grey room key wristbands for platinums?

Has anyone been successful in getting the resort fee waived? Normally, it doesn't bother me because the Lounge makes up for it, but it's a hard fee to swallow if we're not using anything.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by spgplatfromchitown
Heading out to the SW on Friday. We were last there in May '21. Are they still using the grey room key wristbands for platinums?

Has anyone been successful in getting the resort fee waived? Normally, it doesn't bother me because the Lounge makes up for it, but it's a hard fee to swallow if we're not using anything.
Same wristband keys as of early Sept. We haven’t proactively requested resort fees be removed but when activities were full or wifi was out, they refunded the fee for some days. If you are successful, do let us know
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:11 pm

I'll give it a try as we won't be using any of the resort activities. I guess it will depend if we get upgraded to the Kai or Maila Suite.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Is it true that the lounge has reopened?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:02 pm

I just called the hotel lounge is still closed and don't know when it will be reopen

if platinum breakfast is so bad I will cancel my upcoming reservations
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ecgz88
I just called the hotel lounge is still closed and don't know when it will be reopen

if platinum breakfast is so bad I will cancel my upcoming reservations
The breakfast is bad, but the hotel is good - you can get breakfast elsewhere, or just skip it and save room for a plate lunch somewhere. I wouldn't shop for a hotel just for breakfast. Personally I skipped it a few days and walked to Leonard's, whose malasadas made me far happier than anything the Sheraton could offer.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The breakfast is bad, but the hotel is good - you can get breakfast elsewhere, or just skip it and save room for a plate lunch somewhere. I wouldn't shop for a hotel just for breakfast. Personally I skipped it a few days and walked to Leonard's, whose malasadas made me far happier than anything the Sheraton could offer.
This is good advice. Granted, Marriott could be better at setting and enforcing brand standards and benefits; however, with rates at Waikiki so low it’s hard to complain with a seemingly lackluster elite breakfast.

My vote is stay and then walk across the street on Seaside Ave to Heavenly. Their Hawaiian fruit French toast is so good I fly out monthly for it.

🤞🏻
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:30 pm

Plat perks (or lack of)

This hotel is going downhill quickly. It's all about the bottom dollar now. I guess they are trying to make up from lost revenue from the pandemic. Be prepared to have a different feel if you have status as a Marriott member.

We've always been upgraded to the Kai, Ohana, or Malia Suite. We visit for a week 2 times a year. We were last here in May 2021. The breakfast benefit was a buffet much smaller than the lounge options but not bad at all. Now it's the yogurt, 2 pastry, fruit and coffee OR juice (You can't have both!).

We did NOT get a suite upgrade this trip even though it shows rooms available. The front desk told me some sketchy story that floors 9-17 were shut down because of low occupancy but if you were to "buy" the room, they would open it up. Makes no sense. I have an inquiry call into corporate.

So dissapointed in this place. May have to switch to the Hyatt.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by spgplatfromchitown
This hotel is going downhill quickly. It's all about the bottom dollar now. I guess they are trying to make up from lost revenue from the pandemic. Be prepared to have a different feel if you have status as a Marriott member.

We've always been upgraded to the Kai, Ohana, or Malia Suite. We visit for a week 2 times a year. We were last here in May 2021. The breakfast benefit was a buffet much smaller than the lounge options but not bad at all. Now it's the yogurt, 2 pastry, fruit and coffee OR juice (You can't have both!).

We did NOT get a suite upgrade this trip even though it shows rooms available. The front desk told me some sketchy story that floors 9-17 were shut down because of low occupancy but if you were to "buy" the room, they would open it up. Makes no sense. I have an inquiry call into corporate.

So dissapointed in this place. May have to switch to the Hyatt.
While it is sad to see things change, are those three suite categories considered standard or specialty / luxury suites?

With respect to Bonvoy, I believe it only calls for upgrading into a standard suite. So, perhaps the hotel isn’t denying benefits but rather simply being less generous during a financially difficult time.

Did you try speaking with the FDM? I am curious what their reply would be to the change in suite upgrades.

margarita girl may know about the suite categories.

I know for the Moana, the oceanfront suites are luxury suites and not in the SNA pool or for complimentary upgrades.

Last edited by anteater; Oct 26, 2021 at 4:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.