Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by NW-A332
You are correct. It feels like a Florida spring break hotel with people everywhere and lines for everything. I am not interested in returning to this hotel. I'd rather stay somewhere smaller.
It isn’t just this hotel, it is the whole of Hawaii right now. You will line up for everything everywhere. We are getting away from the madness for a bit and are heading back to Canada until the summer is over.
margarita girl and anteater like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Yes, it's a combination of capacity controls on restaurants and hotels together with something like 40,000+ hospitality jobs unfilled right now.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anteater
A more helpful response may have included which islands currently have the least demand and / or shortest lines.

🙌🏻🤙🏻
I would suggest Lana'i, Moloka'i and the Big Island - although those environments and prices are not everyone's taste. I was in Waikiki in early May and it appears we got in and out before the pandemonium, and with the testing mandate being lifted in a couple weeks for vaccinated travelers, I can only imagine things will get much, much worse before they get better. I think we will be taking a break from Hawai'i for awhile until this all settles down. Nothing about O'ahu right now sounds relaxing. I've been staying at the Sheraton Waikiki for almost 25yrs and never experienced or even read about what the poster described above, even during holiday season.
Finkface and anteater like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Finkface
Edit to add: this place is a total zoo right now. The lineup for the infinity pool was 50 people long at 7:30am (the pool opens at 8am). When I walked by again around 10am, there was still a decent line just to get into the pool area. The lineup for the elevators last night was easily 50 people, and this morning around 11am, it was a good 25-30 people long. This is pretty indicative of all of Waikiki right now. My visiting friend said it is definitely not a pleasant place to be at the moment and I agree.
To each their own, but getting up at ~7am to get in line to get a pool spot doesn't sound like a vacation to me; it sounds like work!
MSPeconomist and Finkface like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
To each their own, but getting up at ~7am to get in line to get a pool spot doesn't sound like a vacation to me; it sounds like work!
To be clear, I wasn’t in the pool line. We could see it from my friend’s lanai and when we passed by on our way to and from breakfast. I live here (not at the SW obviously) and a friend was in town visiting. He was staying at the SW and I was at the hotel hanging out with him throughout the day. But I also walk down through that area most nights so I see the goings-on regularly.
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Seeing all of the posts in this thread about no elite check in line, the separare elite check in desk has been open for at least the past 2 weeks now, maybe a bit longer. I asked two different people who were manning it on two different days/nights in early June how long it had been open and they both said they opened it up at peak times or when they knew they had a bunch of elites due to check in. This past week, it has been staffed every single time I have gone past; both in the morning, peak afternoon times and late in the evening. I have not seen one single guest at the elite desk in all of the times I have passed by. The only time I have seen anyone using it was twice, both times myself. Once when I was with a visiting friend who was inquiring about something mid afternoon and then the following day when the same friend was checking in around noon (and the regular line had a huge line up). I don’t know whether people just don’t see it (I think it has to be this because the signage is not obvious and blends with the desk) or if there aren’t many elite guests right now (hard to believe?) but it has been staffed and totally empty of guests whenever I have gone by. So the elite line has been open since at least the beginning of June sporadically and lately, all of the time. At least the times I have passed by. This past week there have been two staff members on it. Yesterday afternoon and again this morning, huge long lines at the regular line and zero people at the elite desk.

Edit to add: this place is a total zoo right now. The lineup for the infinity pool was 50 people long at 7:30am (the pool opens at 8am). When I walked by again around 10am, there was still a decent line just to get into the pool area. The lineup for the elevators last night was easily 50 people, and this morning around 11am, it was a good 25-30 people long. This is pretty indicative of all of Waikiki right now. My visiting friend said it is definitely not a pleasant place to be at the moment and I agree.
Most likely as you posted they only open the elite line when they know there is a number of elites due to check in making sure they cover their requirements ! The balance leaving checkin to the normal lines. I am sure that these properties will continue to judiciously staff up all the while maximizing their ROI. Its going to be a long slog till we see the islands return to pre covid if even at that. Once Europe really opens next year then pressure will ease on the islands right now preference is staying in the US.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Its going to be a long slog till we see the islands return to pre covid if even at that.
Hawaii in June 2019 averaged roughly 32,000 visitors per day. Hawaii this week 2021 has been averaging 32,000 visitors per day.

The problem - and a real problem for tourists - is Hawaii is not fully open. Capacity restrictions are everywhere. You can't just roll up to a bar - grab a seat - and have a drink. Or just expect lounge chairs. You need reservations every single day.

We have the pre-covid numbers even without international.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaii in June 2019 averaged roughly 32,000 visitors per day. Hawaii this week 2021 has been averaging 32,000 visitors per day.

The problem - and a real problem for tourists - is Hawaii is not fully open. Capacity restrictions are everywhere. You can't just roll up to a bar - grab a seat - and have a drink. Or just expect lounge chairs. You need reservations every single day.

We have the pre-covid numbers even without international.
On the news last night, they said this weekend’s arrivals exceeded even 2019 numbers. So you are correct, we definitely have the numbers without the international. It has changed the dynamic big time. The poor behavior, including the (every single night) late night yelling off of lanais (a Tik Tok thing apparently?) has gotten very old, very fast.
margarita girl and anteater like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On the news last night, they said this weekend’s arrivals exceeded even 2019 numbers. So you are correct, we definitely have the numbers without the international. It has changed the dynamic big time. The poor behavior, including the (every single night) late night yelling off of lanais (a Tik Tok thing apparently?) has gotten very old, very fast.
maybe it’s time for a published code of conduct to be signed at check-in and anyone caught doing this kind of nonsense can be booted out of the hotel that night. The room can be resold the next morning from the sound of the arrival volume. I shudder to think what these millennial tiktock morons are doing around culturally sensitive artifacts throughout the islands.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on the above comments, the current situation at the Sheraton Waikiki and in Hawaii in general doesn't sound like it's worth paying for at all. I usually stay at the Royal in Waikiki and I can imagine it's likely a bit more sedate now, but even if it was just like before covid times, having to deal with capacity restrictions at restaurants and bars would make Hawaii a no go for me at the moment. If I want a vacation where I'm spending my time waiting for everything, I'd go to Disney.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Curious if anyone has any recent feedback on what to expect as far as benefits for Platinum and above (I'm Ambassador). We have a stay coming up at the Sheraton Waikiki in about a week and a half. And while I know there's info in this thread about breakfast, etc., during the pandemic, I'm wondering what (if anything) has changed now that things are starting to open back up a little bit. Some questions for anyone who has stayed recently:
  • Is the Leahi club lounge still closed?
  • What's the current breakfast benefit? Is it still packaged food at the Kai Market, or has that changed?
  • What (if anything) are they providing as an "alternative amenity" to the resort fee for Plats+?
  • Do they still provide wristbands so that Plats+ can skip the line at the pool, Kai Market, etc.? (it's been about 6 years since my last stay at the SW, so I don't know if they were even still doing this pre-pandemic)
  • Anything else I should know (other than it's super-crowded)?
Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by eeebee
Curious if anyone has any recent feedback on what to expect as far as benefits for Platinum and above (I'm Ambassador). We have a stay coming up at the Sheraton Waikiki in about a week and a half. And while I know there's info in this thread about breakfast, etc., during the pandemic, I'm wondering what (if anything) has changed now that things are starting to open back up a little bit. Some questions for anyone who has stayed recently:
  • Is the Leahi club lounge still closed?
  • What's the current breakfast benefit? Is it still packaged food at the Kai Market, or has that changed?
  • What (if anything) are they providing as an "alternative amenity" to the resort fee for Plats+?
  • Do they still provide wristbands so that Plats+ can skip the line at the pool, Kai Market, etc.? (it's been about 6 years since my last stay at the SW, so I don't know if they were even still doing this pre-pandemic)
  • Anything else I should know (other than it's super-crowded)?
Thanks!
I don't think anything substantiative has changed. The lounge is currently still closed, that could change at any time, the breakfast benefit is the small continental style buffet that's been around for awhile, but you have no special priority in the line up, so you'll either need to wait, or plan for an alternative. For years the hotel has never voluntarily offered an 'alternative amenity' although you can pester them about it over and over until they give you a bag of snacks, and there hasn't been poolside priority for Platinums since after the merger, so you will need to wait for a lounge chair or access to the pool with everyone else - this alone is a major issue as you should be able to get priority access in my opinion.

When the hotel is busy, the infinity pool should be reserved exclusively for Platinum and higher guests and companions staying in the same room - but there is zero change of that becoming policy.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Do they still give you a small brown bag (for Plats+) grab some gifts at the mini shop next to the check-in booth?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uclasfo
Do they still give you a small brown bag (for Plats+) grab some gifts at the mini shop next to the check-in booth?
Yes, they do. Just note that the hours on the little card that they give you at check-in are incorrect, and the shop closes at 4:30pm, not 5:30pm (like it says on the card).
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
maybe it’s time for a published code of conduct to be signed at check-in and anyone caught doing this kind of nonsense can be booted out of the hotel that night. The room can be resold the next morning from the sound of the arrival volume. I shudder to think what these millennial tiktock morons are doing around culturally sensitive artifacts throughout the islands.
Correct me if I am wrong but ( I have been going to the islands for work/pleasure since 1974) and never really saw a "quiet night" other than right after 911. Yes there are nights when its extremely loud however drinking/partying is what people do when at a beach resort on vacation. There is a sub station right there they don't seem to be too worried. Am I condoning no just saying that with tourism comes large crowds maybe not dressed the way one might not like it, and the noise but it also bring dollars to the islands and that's their main income. Maybe the cops at the substation can arrest all the loud partiers have them check out and sent back on the next days airplanes maybe that will make it quiet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.