FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:20 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anteater
I completely agree that hotels have been adjusting their SNA pool to the detriment of the customer, but are there any datapoints that hotels are recategorizing their suites as higher tiers so as to not be obligated to tender them to the appropriate elites?
One specific example I can recall is StR San Francisco, which as a matter of reported policy now will not upgrade beyond Grand Deluxe room. There are others as well.
Originally Posted by anteater
My point here is while the change in suite assignment to elites is disappointing, we don’t know if it’s actually against the T&Cs.
Properties have always had an out under the T&C. Here's the relevant verbiage, with key language highlighted:
Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room, subject to availability on the day of arrival, for the entire length of stay. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property.
What's been happening is that more and more properties are now taking advantage of that last sentence to refuse suite upgrades, with the disease now spreading rampantly among former SPG properties as well.

And of course even with SNAs, there's no requirement that a property actually put suites in its SNA pool. I don't believe Sheraton Waikiki makes true suites available for SNA anymore, with highest available SNA option now being Large Luxury Larger Guest room (yes, that's what they actually call it, another example of the Marriott sickness spreading through the SPG universe).