Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:15 am

I'll be staying next week at the Westin. Any recent reports? What about PLT upgrades at this property?
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam

Pittsburgh: Westin vs Sheraton

Will be staying in Pittsburgh 11/11 to 11/13. Trying to chose between the Westin and the Sheraton. Can anyone help me out with a recommendation?
Or if there is something better, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks,

wwbgd
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

WWBGD, I've moved your question into the master thread on the two properties. The master thread was created a few months back, but for some reason never made it to the index of such threads. While the thread came up in search, it didn't come up as a master thread - a search gremlin that I find very frustrating.

In any case, here you are with some information. Hopefully, more will post with current experiences.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Take a read through all of the posts above - they are fairly thorough - and let us know if there any other specifics, or unique aspects of your trip that raise questions.

Other options in town - The Omni, a classic old grand dame hotel (formerly a Westin) and the Renaissance, a new-ish remodel, funky/stylish hotel. Personally, I'd take the Renn, all else being equal, then the Westin if I wanted to stay SPG (They do have a great gym.). But there aren't huge differences.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Westin was good for me last month because I had to be at the convention center, and it was walking distance to a few bars and restaurants. However, William Penn had a Starbucks inside, which would've been handy.

No plat upgrade for me.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, United 1K, AVIS FIRST, Hertz Gold
Westin Closer to Downtown ... no club lounge... great gym
Sheration near Station Square (Shopping and Food)... club lounge ... smaller gym. 20 min walk to city center.

Upgrades at Westin are rare. The hotel is often sold out and their are a ton of people with status their from various projects in the city. (Including mine)

Upgrades at Sheraton better possibilty becuase it is less crowded than the downtown Westin. I have had upgrades at this property.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich

Other options in town - The Omni, a classic old grand dame hotel (formerly a Westin) and the Renaissance, a new-ish remodel, funky/stylish hotel. Personally, I'd take the Renn, all else being equal, then the Westin if I wanted to stay SPG (They do have a great gym.). But there aren't huge differences.
Highlights added by me - if all else is same to you, Ren has great riverfront views and excellent service -
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:43 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
WWBGD, I've moved your question into the master thread on the two properties. The master thread was created a few months back, but for some reason never made it to the index of such threads. While the thread came up in search, it didn't come up as a master thread - a search gremlin that I find very frustrating.

In any case, here you are with some information. Hopefully, more will post with current experiences.
Thank you SanDiego1k. I appreciate your help and the help of all responders.

wwbgd
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi all -

Which hotel would be better for my scenario:

- Going to Pittsburgh for 3 nights for a NFL and NHL weekend
- 9 guys
- Night life to be taken advantage of

From what I read (and remember) the Sheraton is closer to nightlife, but the Westin looks to be walking distance to Heinz.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

T.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Hi all -

Which hotel would be better for my scenario:

- Going to Pittsburgh for 3 nights for a NFL and NHL weekend
- 9 guys
- Night life to be taken advantage of

From what I read (and remember) the Sheraton is closer to nightlife, but the Westin looks to be walking distance to Heinz.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

T.

Definately stay at The Westin. The Sheraton is tired and looks like a 80's property. While the Westin needs renovations and the service is not that great, the pro teams all stay there if you are into that

The nicest property in town is the Wm Penn which used to be a Westin and is centrally located
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Yes, that is true. When I stayed at the Westin last month, I walked by Manny Ramirez and a couple of other Dodgers on an SPG Preferred floor. I am assuming they took all the available (jr) suites.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd say Westin, and take a cab to the south side, by the Sheraton, for night life.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:29 pm
JRS

Location: Pittsburgh - SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, US Chairmans Pref
Another opinion

I'd say the Sheraton is a better option for you. You've got the bars/restaurants right there at Station Square, you can take the game day boats right over to Heinz field, and the T (subway) over to within walking distance of Mellon Arena. The Westin is a nicer hotel but the location is lacking for what your group will want to do.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I say Sheraton

I actually stayed at both properties this past weekend.. Sheraton- got a suite- but had to ask for it (originally they had a club floor room). Lounge was decent- free wine, nice view and hot appetizers. Suite was spacious- 2 plasmas.. comfortable new bed. Great view of downtown and the river. Nice, spacious lobby.. surrounded by a bunch of restaurants and decently priced parking. Only downside is the freight trains that run by during the day.. I can imagine they would be annoying to some.

Westin was somewhat of a disaster. Got "upgraded" to a regular room on the SPG floor with no view and an old chunky TV. No lounge.. the check-in drive up area is a disaster area with too many cabs/ valets and little space. Had the valet attendant bring up our car and he apparently didn't know how to drive stick shift and stalled out our car/ flooded the engine after burning the clutch (everyone in front of the hotel complained of the horrid stench and some people even waited in the lobby for their cars). Another attendant had to come and back it into the garage and drive back up once the engine started). Fish Market restaurant in the lobby was overpriced with slow service.

I'd much prefer the Station Sq Sheraton to the Westin- and I generally dislike Sheratons and love Westins. Downtown Pittsburgh is just shady late at night- whereas Station Square seemed a little more safe (though not by much).
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
I am heading to Pittsburgh next weekend. I currently have a rewards reservation at the Westin. What is the better hotel for going out at night - Sheraton or Westin? I am going with a date, so it would be restaurants, lounges, etc. Either within walking distance or a short cab ride. There seems to be some conflicts in the above posts about which has better night life.

Thanks,

E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.