Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by XMS91
Does the Westin still have that terrible odor in the hallways? I stayed there in Dec 2011, and I remember a foul mildew-like odor.
I'm there weekly and don't encounter an odor in the hallways.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NicolePitt
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please let me know if I can ever be of service

Nicole Wellington
Business Transient Sales Manager
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel
My second stay not as good as the first. Neither room key worked (after a late night check-in, really wasn't in the mood to have to trot back downstairs). When I did finally get into the room, I discovered it was not the king bed I had requested, but instead 2 queens. It was too late at this point to bother to change. In the morning, no one at the front desk to produce the printed bill (which I need for my expense reports). I wish there was an option to get the printed bill under the door, as in the good old days.

Let's see if tonight's stay is any better ....
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by wizzy
I'm there weekly and don't encounter an odor in the hallways.
Thanks, I was checking to see if it was a longterm problem. Had a stay in Dec 2011 for a couple days, and it was a little smelly on one of the SPG floors.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Has anyone stayed at the new Sheraton by the airport? This used to be the Crown Plaza which was a ghetto CP IMO - the employee on the phone said that it has been renovated/updated, plus has the Club room, etc, etc. I will be staying there tonight.

Prior posts mentioned all the hotels in the burgh, I'm in PIT every 2-3 weeks and I agree some places are hit/miss. My favorite hotel is the Marriott Resort by the airport, they are very friendly, free parking, stable internet, upgrades every time, I get the room that is on my profile 99.9% of the time, and the concierge floor is not too shabby either.

The Airport Hyatt is great if you have a flight the next day, but don't stay longer. Parking is $13/day unless you stay 3 days.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat

Just finished my stay at the new Sheraton and its 100% better than the old CP.. Staff is friendly, rooms are very modern, club is fully stocked 24/7..beer and wine is free from 6-8p..I will be back
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:24 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by irockfm2
Just finished my stay at the new Sheraton and its 100% better than the old CP.. Staff is friendly, rooms are very modern, club is fully stocked 24/7..beer and wine is free from 6-8p..I will be back
Great to hear. We are still renovating and have some bumps but thanks for trying us out. Look forward to your return!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Any recent experiences at either of these properties? I'm visiting Pittsburgh next month for a wedding at the Omni William Penn downtown so was planning to stay at the Westin to be close to the venue, but the Sheraton is available for MUCH cheaper right now -- $75 vs $170. I would think a December weekend in Pittsburgh would be a fairly low-demand time, anyone have any experience with the Westin getting to be cheaper, or is that likely to be about as low as it gets?

If I go for the Sheraton, any updates on club access on the weekend? I believe all clubs are now open over the weekend, right, so I assume that's the Platinum breakfast option?

Given the better reviews on this thread for the Sheraton and the much lower price I'm tempted to go that way, but I am concerned about the location being out of the way, especially since it will probably be cold outside. I notice that the light rail looks like it goes from the Sheraton to downtown pretty easily, but I don't know if that's something that people actually use in Pittsburgh (and in the winter on a weekend)? I assume after the wedding it would be easy enough to get a cab at the Omni back to the Sheraton?

Thanks for any insights.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by colerc
Any recent experiences at either of these properties? I'm visiting Pittsburgh next month for a wedding at the Omni William Penn downtown so was planning to stay at the Westin to be close to the venue, but the Sheraton is available for MUCH cheaper right now -- $75 vs $170. I would think a December weekend in Pittsburgh would be a fairly low-demand time, anyone have any experience with the Westin getting to be cheaper, or is that likely to be about as low as it gets?

To answer my own question for future reference -- after monitoring the Westin rates regularly over a period of time, I was able to get the Westin for $150/night non-refundable during a sale. I never saw it go lower than that, after the sale it went back to $170/night, and the hotel seemed mostly empty while I was there, so that seems to be about as cheap as it gets.

Stay was fine, uneventful. SNAs cleared beforehand (in a Christmas miracle!) to a Business Suite, which is just a really big room with the footprint of two rooms but barely any more furniture and a normal-sized, normal-amenitied bathroom. If SNAs were actually scarce I would not recommend including this room category in any SNA requests here in the future so as not to waste them, but given that I have found SNAs quite hard to use it wasn't so bad.

Breakfast amenity was $16 per person at the restaurant breakfast (which, helpfully, is served fairly late on the weekends). Egg dishes were around $12-13 so it was enough to get something substantial, though coffee and OJ were $4.50 each. In a pleasant move I haven't seen elsewhere, the hotel covers tip on the $16, so when the total bill came to $33.07 after tax but before tip, we only had to pay the $1.07 plus a bit more tip on that one dollar; everything else was covered.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by XMS91
Thanks, I was checking to see if it was a longterm problem. Had a stay in Dec 2011 for a couple days, and it was a little smelly on one of the SPG floors.
I'm here now and my room exhibits a funky BO smell that sounds similar to that described by others over the years. At first I thought it was from a maintenance person that had to come in, but it's stuck around the whole time. I can live with it but it would be better without (especially as I've grown to like the Westin perfume-type smell at other properties).
Old May 6, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I recently stayed at the Sheraton Pittsburgh Hotel at Station Square and it was probably the second worst SPG stay I've had.

-The check-in staff seemed annoyed to have me walk up to her counter. She didn't recognize my status at all.
-As a platinum I was given a 3rd floor room looking out over a rooftop towards the railroad track.
- I noted a peculiar smell. My daughter thought it was was some type of air freshener. Later that night I realized it smelled like hamster cage liner.
-The room across from us had sheets piled in the hall all evening.
-There were curtain pull rods lying under a hall window just down from my room.

OK, the last two I probably wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't annoyed with the room, but when things start to pile up I become more critical of other issues. Overall it just reeked of a huge lack of attention to details.

I was honestly dissapointed because I stayed here a couple years ago and was perfectly satisfied with my stay, but I must say I won't stay here again.

Update: Starwood Lurker (William) reached out to me followed by someone from the property. I feel like my issues were taken seriously and will consider staying at this property again, based on any future positive reviews of other FTers.

Last edited by Gamecock; May 9, 2014 at 10:48 am Reason: Clarify which Sheraton
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:19 pm

Stayed at the Sheraton for the second time in two weeks. I will try the Westin next time or go with another chain. Just too many issues really eat at me.

The good: the staff, except for one exception (see below). Platinum was recognized and they put up with my room requests. Club staff was always polite, as well.

The bad:
First stay: noise, noise, noise. I was assigned the club floor and I must have been right under a building air conditioner unit or something since the room rattled. I asked for another room and was put in the "King Suite" on the 11th floor (with a queen bed unless my brain is way off, but I digress) but the adjoining/connecting room door did nothing to block the sounds coming from the next room over (this gripe might be rooted in some jealousy as it sounded like she was having a phenomenal night). Finally, as others have noted, the freight trains coming through are pretty ridiculous and shake the building all the way up to the 11th floor.

Second stay: I came back here since I'm gunning for 75 on short notice and the Westin was way more expensive. I specifically requested a quiet room and the front desk was able to find me one. Satisfactory on this count except that the air conditioning unit made a fair amount of pulsating noise last night (although it seems to be fine now). The room does have a faint smell of cigarettes so it may have been smoked in by previous guests, or it may be the generic smell that others have observed. I can't remember if I noticed it last time.

Both stays: had a light in the room that flickered while turned off. Had maintenance replace it the first time, putting up with it this time since it's out of my line of sight in this second room.

But the reason I'm bothering to post this right now is because I just came back from the bar where I was hoping to catch the MLB playoffs game. They don't have Fox Sports. It turns out they don't have it in the entire hotel. Lame. I was also charged $2 for club soda from the tap. I've never been charged for water, flat or soda, at any other bar in my life. But the coup de grâce was the attitude of the bartender. She told another patron "I know what I serve" in a condescending manner when he misunderstood the beers she was describing. When I got a refill on my $2 club soda she gave me regular water and when I pointed it out she argued with me that it can't be because the water comes from somewhere else. She brought me another one, but really? You may know what you serve, but I know what I'm drinking.

Parking is also $23 for in and out privileges but it sounds like that's probably the norm as it's close to downtown.

Would I stay here if I had to? Sure. Would I try the Westin next time if it was remotely comparable? Absolutely.

Last edited by djibouti; Oct 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:02 am

Has anyone taken the Airport Flyer Bus to the Westin from the airport? I'm debating between the bus and Supershuttle, but am unclear how far of a walk it is from the Airport Flyer bus stop to the Westin. It also appears as if the inbound and outbound stops are in two different locations.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
The Sheraton is a very noisy place-the train passing shakes the entire building. Their mechanicals don't help.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT103
Has anyone taken the Airport Flyer Bus to the Westin from the airport? I'm debating between the bus and Supershuttle, but am unclear how far of a walk it is from the Airport Flyer bus stop to the Westin. It also appears as if the inbound and outbound stops are in two different locations.
The flyer is 2-3 blocks away from the Westin.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
The flyer is 2-3 blocks away from the Westin.
Thank you for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.