Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
1) suite upgrades - Sheraton (No contest). They go out of their way to upgrade Platinum's usually to jr. suites (at a minimum) but give out suites and at a minimum club floor. Usually the front desk people are very nice and sometimes even provide options or you can politely ask and they will search the inventory for you. The Westin has very few suites (and they aren't that nice anyway). They book a lot of conventions and professional teams that usually take up this inventory anyway. If you do get the rare upgrade (I got it 3 or 4 times in 3 years!) consider yourself lucky.

2) wireless internet speeds - about the same I think. Nothing major in difference that I recall. At the Westin choose the 'pay' version for a Platinum and they won't charge you. Same goes for the bottles of water in non-SPG rooms. No charge for at least Platinum's.

3) renovated rooms (esp LCD/plasma TVs) - both have renovated rooms. The Westin reno is a bit newer but the TV's have limited channels and not sure they are in HD anyway. One of the most annoying things is that it takes a very long time to change channels so much so that surfing becomes painful.

4) shuttle service - both provide but the drivers at the Sheraton are much nicer and willing to drive you to further distances. Note that in AM rush hour the Sheraton runs every 30 min. into downtown. On Demand for the rest of the day. Westin is always on-demand.

5) in room dining menu variety (am a veg and looking at low fat options) - It appears that the Westin has their same menu as their other properties. Honestly I don't do room service so I can't comment too much.

6) gym facilities - Westin by a mile. It is a mini-health club. Much nicer than the average hotel gym. The Sheraton gym is more traditional and limited compared to the Westin but most people will be able to make-do.

Also note that The Westin is walking distance to the major consulting projects in town. The Sheraton will require a shuttle (it is walkable but a bit far when cold). The shuttle can become annoying when you can walk to the Westin in 5 minutes.

Most likely you will experience both hotels since you plan to be there for a year. Try them both out and see what you prefer.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta-DM, SPG-Plat100, Marriott-Plat
Thanks neo_781 for the detailed response. As of now, seems Sheraton is the way to go...

Anyone else with suggestions/recommendations on Sheraton vs. Westin.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Originally Posted by wannabeupintheair
Thanks neo_781 for the detailed response. As of now, seems Sheraton is the way to go...

Anyone else with suggestions/recommendations on Sheraton vs. Westin.
I am on a long term consulting job in Pittsburgh. The Sheraton is my home away from home (100 nights last year?). During the week it has the best club lounge. Go up and say hello to Marie. She will take care of you. Free Wine and Soda during appetizers until about 8pm and then free dessert afterwards.

There are three suites on the club floors (Statesman, Ambassador, and Diplomat). The X24s (3 to 15) are junior suites. King suites are X36 (3-8). The presidential suite is 938.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Question Platinum to get Prez Suite

This may be a silly q but as platinums are we eligible to get the Prez Suite if available? If so, how does one determine if it is available but being "withheld"

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I am on a long term consulting job in Pittsburgh. The Sheraton is my home away from home (100 nights last year?). During the week it has the best club lounge. Go up and say hello to Marie. She will take care of you. Free Wine and Soda during appetizers until about 8pm and then free dessert afterwards.

There are three suites on the club floors (Statesman, Ambassador, and Diplomat). The X24s (3 to 15) are junior suites. King suites are X36 (3-8). The presidential suite is 938.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
This may be a silly q but as platinums are we eligible to get the Prez Suite if available? If so, how does one determine if it is available but being "withheld"
Probably not. Technically those kind of suites are usually classified as select and don't count towards the upgrade policy. However there is nothing stopping the hotel from giving them out anyway. And if any hotel would do it this property is a prime candidate.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by neo_781
Probably not. Technically those kind of suites are usually classified as select and don't count towards the upgrade policy. However there is nothing stopping the hotel from giving them out anyway. And if any hotel would do it this property is a prime candidate.
On special occasions i have gotten the presidential suite. It is pretty epic.

On another note. The Plat/Club Lounge now serves scrambled eggs Mon-Fri. I will never stay at the westin again.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On special occasions i have gotten the presidential suite. It is pretty epic.

On another note. The Plat/Club Lounge now serves scrambled eggs Mon-Fri. I will never stay at the westin again.
Staying at the Sheraton means dealing with the shuttle or trying to convince a taxi to come over the river. No thanks!

If the rumored new Plat benefit of free breakfast actually happens, would that sway your decision?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:50 pm

Eh maybe, but i am just not that big a fan of the Westin in PIT. I really like station square. I work in downtown pit so the 15 minute walk / 5 minute shuttle ride is a nice way to distance my self from work. And the shuttles are not that bad. As for the taxis, yeah they suck, but all you do is get in and tell them to GO, they can't refuse the fare.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
What is the best self-parking option (with in and out) if possible near the Sheraton? I see a large parkade next to the hotel on bing.com
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Minor correction... at least currently the Sheraton serves a hot breakfast of some type Mon-Fri (have not been there on weekends so cannot comment). Scrambled eggs appear to be rotated with breakfast burritos and bluberry pancakes.

I do like their espresso machine, nice cut fruit, greek yogurt, and fresh fruit. I do not care for their muffins.

Overall better than the average Sheraton Club.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
What is the best self-parking option (with in and out) if possible near the Sheraton? I see a large parkade next to the hotel on bing.com
The Sheratons own parking lot is self parking with in-out. The trick to get in-out is to check in at the front desk before you park. Ask for in-out parking. I did this last year ... cost was $25 a day I think compared with $20 a day without the in-out.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Is there anywhere to park for free or low fee near the Westin?

Is there any chance for a lowly SPG Gold to get upgraded? Anything I should/could ask for?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:21 am

There is cheaper parking on Penn Ave
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=40....2&z=17&iwloc=A

-Will
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
There is cheaper parking on Penn Ave
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=40....2&z=17&iwloc=A

-Will
Thank you
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed one night on Monday at the Westin. Not sure why I chose it, but should've stayed at the Sheraton. No club lounge at Westin, "no suites ready" at 430pm. Internet was super fast and the gym is quite nice as noted above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.