Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I also prefer the Sheraton and consistently get upgraded to large junior suites, which I also think have pull-out beds. Try to get a high floor- there is a train that runs alongside that can be quite loud. The higher, the less noise you will hear.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Rooms X38 are the King Suites these are set back about 100 feet to the train
Rooms X24 are the Junior Suits (these are closer to the train. Do not take one below the 6th floor if it will bother you.

Last edited by Flyinace2000; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27 am
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by neo_781
Hotel: Westin Convention Center
My Status Level: Platinum
Number of stays: 10+

General Comments: The hotel is a little bit dated. It is also connected to the convention center. Both weeks I was there it was sold-out or near capacity. There are about 25 floors to the hotel so it is rather large. Front desk staff were not very friendly (not mean either) and when I inquired about an upgrade I was told that none were available or that they were sold out and therefore couldn’t even honor my standard King room (one week).

Upgrade: No upgrade usually offered. One week I wasn’t even given my requested King Bed. I am usually put on SPG floors for stays but that is not always the case. They do have some suites and on a 1 day stay I was told by the front desk clerk that I could have an upgrade since it was a short stay.

General Room: Room is rather large. There was a small chair and side table in addition to the desk and chair. The desk did not have an office chair but rather a regular dinner table type chair not on wheels. A lot rooms I stay in have a funky smell to them. I think it was due to mold. Sometimes the hallway also has an odor. The one suite I was in the bedroom and the bathroom were the same as the standard rooms. The 'living room' had a 4 person round dining room table in the middle of the room and a second tv. There was no couch and really the only way use the room was to sit at the table ... not too comfortable unless you were entertaining or hosting a poker game, etc... Also there is mini-bar available (which you can decline the key for).

Internet: Internet was wireless and free. However, it was very slow. It was adequate for emails and general webpage reading such as CNN but not sufficient for video websites. The sign-on page says standard internet is 2x's the speed of dial-up. They also offer higher speed for $9.95 for 24-hours (not per day).

Lounge: As is typical of a lot of Westins, there is no lounge. The only ammentiy difference I can see for Platinums is free bottled water (Aqua Panna - 2 approx. 700ml bottles per day). Sometimes the tag says that there is a charge but as a Plat I have never been charged and I have confirmed that with the front desk.
• Breakfast: N/A unless you pay. The connected building has just opened a Crazy Mocha which I think is a local coffee chain
• Evening: N/A - there is of course room service and the Fish Restaurant.

Shuttle: They have one but I only used it once and didn't get the impression that it was very accomidating. The driver didn't want to take me at first as I was alone. Also, most other area hotels will take you within a 3 mile radius. The time I used it, the driver said they wouldn't go to the South Side (Carson St) which I think is between 2 and 3 miles away.

Gym: They have a fairly large gym, almost a mini-health club. There is a pool and workout facility with several (around 10) treadmills, stair climbing equipment and free weights. In addition there is an area that looks like a place where they possibly hold fitness classes. I saw those large oversized balls, steps and some bikes that looked like they were used for class. Additionally there are several televisions throughout the room and a lot of the machines allowed you to plug your headphones into your own personal television. However, this looked to be older technology that was retro-fitted to the machines rather than built in. You also have to sign in with an attendant who looks you up in the computer and then logs you in a book.

Location: Across from the convention center. Approximately a 5 to 15 minute walk to most downtown businesses and 15 to 20 minute walk to downtown stadiums.

Recommendation: No. The main turnoffs were no lounge and the quality of the room. The hotel is very cold feeling to me and the room is not very comfortable (minus the great Westin bed of course). I don’t like the smell. Also, this hotel does not offer comparables to the other properties that I have stayed in. I think they focus mainly on convention business which keeps them close to 100% (generally I think there is a dearth of rooms most weeks downtown) and therefore do not worry about the frequent traveler who is looking for an all around experience.

Update on the Westin - The SPG floors have recently gone through a "renovation." I would give them an 'A' for Effort but a 'C' for Impact. Basically the top few floors have new carpeting in the halls and the rooms. There may also be new wallpaper in the rooms (but I have to admit I can't really tell). All the furnishings (including the uncomfortable desk chair and not very relaxing side chair/ottoman) remain the same.

While the room does smell fresh (ya, that new carpet smell) the overall effect of this change IMHO is that the room feels smaller and a lot more gray. Between the white sheets and the gray furniture and carpet its a bit dull in the room.

I think I saw somewhere that the bedding is being changed but I have not seen that yet - will post back if I do.

So overall I would say that while any change/refresh is positive for a hotel, this one is run of the mill. I personally would have liked to have seen them address the furniture.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
The Sheraton's gym is suppose to be getting renovated "soon". I haven't been able to get a firm date of when that is suppose to start but it could really use it.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Westin room sizes?

From the home page of the Westin Convention Center - Pittsburgh:
Our stylish and contemporary Traditional Rooms are among the largest in the city at 408 square feet.

From the room description located on the reservation page of the Westin Convention Cener - Pittsburgh:
- Traditional Non-smoking, Heavenly Bed And Bath, Free Wi-fi Internet, Cordless Phone, Laptop Safe
- 300 Sq. Ft. Room Designed With Contemporary Decor, Warm Natural Colors With Earthtone Carpeting

So what is it? 408 sq ft or 300 sq ft? I've emailed the hotel and will post a summary of their response when/if they reply.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1
Our stylish and contemporary Traditional Rooms are among the largest in the city at 408 square feet.

From the room description located on the reservation page of the Westin Convention Cener - Pittsburgh:
- Traditional Non-smoking, Heavenly Bed And Bath, Free Wi-fi Internet, Cordless Phone, Laptop Safe
- 300 Sq. Ft. Room Designed With Contemporary Decor, Warm Natural Colors With Earthtone Carpeting

So what is it? 408 sq ft or 300 sq ft? I've emailed the hotel and will post a summary of their response when/if they reply.
Not sure the exact size (sorry I didn't measure) but I can tell you the rooms are large.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by controller1
Westin room sizes?

UPDATE:
Email response received in less than 8 hours. ^^

Response reads that the room measures 300 sq ft without the bathroom and 382 sq ft with the bathroom. They state they will have someone update the website.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:03 am

Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh

Review of recent stay.

CHECK-IN
Checked in for one night on Sunday afternoon around 3:15 p.m. There were two agents at the desk. I was the only guest. Check-in was flawless. I was told that my Platinum number was on the reservation and I was asked if I preferred to have the 500-point Platinum Thank You Amenity or something else. I chose the points. I was asked what time I would be checking out on Monday so that they could ensure housekeeping would not disturb me prior to my check-out. ^ I was informed that there was free WIFI throughout the hotel including all guest rooms. The WIFI is complimentary for all guests. I was told when the lobby restaurant opened for dinner and when the restaurant on the 2nd floor opened for breakfast. No lounge at this property.

ROOM
Reserved: Corner Suite
Received: Corner Suite
The room was large but had a strange floor plan. Upon opening the door, you're in a hall which leads to the non-sleeping area of the suite. This room has a flat-screen TV, a lounge chair, and a dining table with four chairs. There were two bottles of water and an ice bucket next to the TV. Hangtags on the bottles of water indicated that if consumed a charge of $2.00 per bottle would be added to your folio. Note: There is no sofa in the suite.

When you head back down the hall towards the entry door, you turn right to go into the bedroom. The room was large with a king bed, desk, flat-panel TV, and lounge chair. The room was spotless. Bed was very comfortable.

Bathroom was clean. Ceiling had been recently painted as evidenced by no stains on ceiling and paint droplets on the top of the shampoon and conditioner bottles. When I turned on the water at the sink, rust was visible in the water for approximately 15 seconds. Apparently, the room had not been used recently but this was the only time that rust appeared in the water. Toiletries at the vanity: Westin white tea bar soap, body lotion, mouthwash. Toiletries in the tub/shower: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel. NOTE: Only one bar of soap, so if you're not a fan of shower gel you will need to take the bar of soap from the vanity to the shower. Good water pressure. Two shower heads in the Westin Heavenly Bath.

There were two robes in the room. One in the closet and one on the back of the bathroom door.

RESTAURANT
Ate an early dinner at The Original Fish Market located on the lobby area. Ate at the bar and had a sushi appetizer, wine, and an ahi tuna entree. Everything was very good. The bar was being renovated and that renovation should be complete in about a week. The bar also offered 46 different wines by the glass. ^

CHECK-OUT
Check-out was flawless. No line at 7:30 a.m. I was asked if I wished to keep the charge on my Amex. I said yes but that I had consumed one of the bottles of water and there was a $2.00 charge on it. I was told there would be no charge since I was Platinum. I was then asked if I wanted a new folio printed or if I wished to have a folio emailed to me. ^ I chose the email. I went outside to wait for my ride. Three minutes later, I received a copy of the folio on my Blackberry.

SPG POINTS
I just checked and the points for the stay, including the 500-point Platinum Thank You Amenity, have posted. This is less than 24 hours after check-out. ^

Overall a very good stay and I would not hesitate staying at the Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh again.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: A few
Unhappy Tired hotel, no benefits, good for Convention Center access though

(A little tardy on the stay report, but it's here nonetheless)

Stay: January 5 - January 10, 2011

Room: Traditional King

Upgrades: Late Checkout

Comments: Paid for the entire stay with points, no upgrade and desperately in need of a refurb. Good location (especially if you need to be downtown), but you may be better pressed going elsewhere if you are SPG at any level.

My very pregnant wife (8 months), daughter and I were there for a friend's wedding in downtown, so being the *wood junky, this seemed like the best option. We arrived late (near 11:00 pm) and check-in was very quick. The agent acknowledged by Platinum status, but did not provide us an upgrade. She did ask what I wanted as an amenity, and the points posted at some point during our stay. The room was on the SPG floor, but was very dated. There were plenty of stains in the bathroom and shower, not sure exactly the nature of them, but they were definitely not clean. The shower also had a draining issue, and honestly that is one of the grossest things you can experience in a hotel. They also happened to be doing water work during our stay, so for a portion of the day there was no hot water (not the best during January) and the entire following day the water continued to be brown out of the faucet, even though the communication was that it should clear up after a few seconds. Again, gross.

The location is very good, and you can walk to either of 2 Primanti's fairly easily as well. Access to the freeways is also pretty straight forward. There is ample underground parking, which is extremely convenient especially when it's snowing. We didn't use the dining facility or anything other than WiFi, which you would have to re-register for every day, but was consistent and fast enough to get things done. Check-out was prompt and we were able to extend until noon without question.

Other than the room being pretty bad, the lack of upgrade was extremely disappointed. I ensured before arrival that there were plenty of suites available, and I sent requests to the hotel prior to our stay, but I'm honestly over having to ask the desk as well. It's this point (having to feel like I'm constantly pushing for the upgrade) that has triggered my decision to not requalify for the time being, this hotel merely pushed it over the edge. There was a canned email from the GM after our stay, requesting feedback. I choose not to reply.

If you need to do business in downtown Pittsburgh, this is a fine hotel, especially if business is at the Convention Center next door. But from my experience, do not expect to get anything other than the bare minimum.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old May 20, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I stayed at the Westin Pittsburgh recently. Most of the previous posts (since the renovation) seem accurate enough to me. I was staying on points and got upgraded to a corner suite. The catch was that I had to wait about 40 minutes before I could check in (this was already around 17:30). The room decor, furnishings, and amenities were right out of the Westin corporate catalog. There is an underground parking garage directly below the hotel ($20/day), which was very convenient during some severe weather.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:31 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Any suggestions on best way to get to Sheraton Station Square from the airport (and vice-versa) if we're not going to have a car?

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Any suggestions on best way to get to Sheraton Station Square from the airport (and vice-versa) if we're not going to have a car?

Thanks!
(1) Easiest is cab which is about $35-45
(2) Super Shuttle Van service (not sure price but probably about $12 pp
(3) Public Bus - never taken it but it runs express to downtown and then you can have the hotel shuttle pick you up or walk over the Smithfield bridge.

Note: All three options are valid for all downtown hotels.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:14 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by neo_781
(1) Easiest is cab which is about $35-45
(2) Super Shuttle Van service (not sure price but probably about $12 pp
(3) Public Bus - never taken it but it runs express to downtown and then you can have the hotel shuttle pick you up or walk over the Smithfield bridge.

Note: All three options are valid for all downtown hotels.
Thanks very much.

I also contacted the property through the e-mail link on their home page and they got back to me in under an hour and they also suggested the Super Shuttle as the best option for us.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:33 am

Stayed at the Sheraton this past weekend

Super Shuttle = $22/head (plus tip)
Cab = $40 from airport to hotel on Friday, $35 returning yesterday, so for 2 (or more), cab makes much more sense, considering you don't have to make additional stops for other passengers. I have heard getting a cab in PGH isn't always easy, so since we liked the cabbie who drove us to the property, we arranged for him to pick us up yesterday and it went very smoothly.

Now the property:

Really enjoyed our stay there. Arrived around 12:30PM on Friday, tried to check in (knew the hotel was fully booked), they recommended we come back at 3PM. We asked if any upgrades were available, agent told us she'd give us a Riverfront room (nicer view), but couldn't give us Club access (we're Gold), so we thanked her and checked our bags with the bellman and explored the city.

Got back at 3PM, different agent at the desk, said "we'd like to check in" and the reply was "License and Credit Card". Not "License and Credit Card, please", just "License and Credit Card". Gave her those, then got "sorry, but we don't have a clean room for you yet". I pretty much just stood there, she said she was arranging an upgrade to a Riverfront room, and gave me a card for 2 free drinks at the bar. I thanked her, told her I'd be back in a half hour, and we enjoyed our beverages.

At 3:30PM we went back, she rolled her eyes, but found us a room (River facing, which turns out to be 50% of the rooms), and told us she had gotten us Club access, which was nice.

Room was decent sized and clean, good view of the river, ferries, train tracks (they ship a whole lot of freight around there -- you could feel/hear the trains going by, but not too badly, and no train whistles), Heinz Field, and downtown PGH. Property is well located for the Duquesne Incline and Station Square entertainment district, but you have to cross a bridge to get to downtown (2 bridges to Heinz or PNC Field). Pittsburgh isn't too large a city, though, and you can walk pretty much everywhere.

Good sized swimming pool, also a pretty big hot tub (which was nice and hot). Small gym with quality equipment within. Club Lounge was the smallest I've ever seen (7 tables?). Continental B'fast was usual barebones (fruit, bagels and pastries, cereal, but also Hard Boiled Eggs). Stopped by a couple times during the day to find a bowl of packaged chips and cookies. Didn't get there in the evening at all.

Great feature was the hotel shuttle van. Officially it goes 3 miles from the hotel, and leaves every half our on the half hour. We had alot planned in 2 1/2 days, and although we could have walked it all, our schedule didn't allow it. Took the shuttle from the hotel 3 times: twice to "The Strip", once to the Warhol Museum, and had the van to ourselves each time (first time on, the driver gave us his card so we could call for a pickup). We never waited until the half hour (even told the driver we were in no hurry, but he assured us he'd be back before anyone else needed a lift). Even got picked up by the van twice (once with friends), both times the pickup was in under 10 minutes from us calling him, one time he took us from the Strip to the Incline, without having to stop at the hotel. Our friends called their shuttle from the Incline (we walked back to the hotel) and it took an hour for their van to arrive. Meanwhile, the Sheraton Driver recognized them and offered them a ride on 2 separate occasions when he went by there dropping off other guests (we had all tipped well, and he was extremely accommodating).

The city far exceeded our expectations as well.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, SPG-Plat100, Marriott-Plat
Are there any suites at Sheraton?

I dont see any suite options at Sheraton Station sq's website. Can someone confirm, if there are any suites at this Sheraton?

I am going to be staying at either of these for the next 1 yr, M-Th (consulting gig) so looking for detailed info to help make up my mind as to which one to opt for.

Can someone who frequents at either/both Westin Convention center as well as Sheraton Station sq, on the recent experience, which one is better, on the below counts, in the following priority
1) suite upgrades
2) wireless internet speeds
3) renovated rooms (esp LCD/plasma TVs)
4) shuttle service
5) in room dining menu variety (am a veg and looking at low fat options)
6) gym facilities

I know this has been discussed earlier on this thread, but I am looking at recent experiences/observations.

EDIT -- Note: Both are participating in the Triple Up Promo, so both are equal on that count. Also both have green choice option, so equal on that count too. However a stay at Sheraton should net me 1000 WN Rapid reward points, but I am not too concerned abt earning RR points.

Last edited by wannabeupintheair; Aug 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.