Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:45 pm

Pittsburgh--Westin or Sheraton?

I'm going to Pittsburgh next week (for the first time). Would you choose the Westin or the Sheraton? I'm actually leaning toward the Sheraton because it says that it is near a bunch of shops and restaurants and it may be a block or two closer (albeit over a bridge that I don't know if it is walking or not) to where I'll be working. The website says that the Sheraton has free high speed internet in each room and the sweet sleeper beds. The Westin says that it is connected to the convention center and that is not where I'm going.

I wouldn't normally choose the Sheraton over the Westin. What do those that have stayed there think? Thanks!

SDFLYER
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:59 pm

Programs: lots
Where are you working? You can easily walk over the bridge. The Sheraton is in station square:
http://www.stationsquare.com
where there are many shops
The Westin is the nicer property, but the Sheraton has been renovated recently and has a new wing. I'd say go to the Sheraton.
Neither are some of the great properties in Pittsburgh though- The Omni or Renaissance would be my choice overall.
Enjoy the city - take the incline up from station square and enjoy the view!

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I'm going to Pittsburgh next week (for the first time). Would you choose the Westin or the Sheraton? I'm actually leaning toward the Sheraton because it says that it is near a bunch of shops and restaurants and it may be a block or two closer (albeit over a bridge that I don't know if it is walking or not) to where I'll be working. The website says that the Sheraton has free high speed internet in each room and the sweet sleeper beds. The Westin says that it is connected to the convention center and that is not where I'm going.

I wouldn't normally choose the Sheraton over the Westin. What do those that have stayed there think? Thanks!

SDFLYER
Old Aug 16, 2005, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by pitsheel
Where are you working? You can easily walk over the bridge. The Sheraton is in station square:
http://www.stationsquare.com
where there are many shops
The Westin is the nicer property, but the Sheraton has been renovated recently and has a new wing. I'd say go to the Sheraton.
Neither are some of the great properties in Pittsburgh though- The Omni or Renaissance would be my choice overall.
Enjoy the city - take the incline up from station square and enjoy the view!
Thanks for your response! I'm right downtown (it looks like very close to either the Sheraton or the Westin). I booked the Westin before I read your message. The comments about the train noise had me worried about the Sheraton. The Westin was also $30 less than the Sheraton.

By the way, how long does it take to get from the airport to the hotel/downtown? I may be a bit tight when I am heading out of town. I will not have a car.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sdflyer04

By the way, how long does it take to get from the airport to the hotel/downtown? I may be a bit tight when I am heading out of town. I will not have a car.
Without traffic, airport to the Westin should be about 25 min, 5 min less if you are headed to lower downtown, as it sounds.

Traffic can back up in either direction, adding 15-20 minutes, during rush hour.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:25 pm

Just Returned

I just returned from Pittsburgh. I ultimately decided to try both the Westin and the Sheraton for a night mostly to maximize my stay credits, but also to see two parts of Pittsburgh.

My opinion is that the Westin is a nicer hotel all around. By the way, they also offer free wireless internet like the Sheraton. The furnishings are a bit nicer, including the heavenly shower etc. I had a room with a view of PNC park (unfortunately work kept me away). The Sheraton was fine too. I liked the location on the river and next to Station Square. But, I thought the furnishings, particularly the bathroom were a slight step down from the Westin. The train noise at the Sheraton is an issue, but not too bad.

Overall, I was impressed by Pittsburgh. I understand it's much improved environmentally from the glory days of the steel mills. It was nice, albeit an impossible place to catch a cab unless you are headed to the airport.

SDFLYER
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Any recent Westin Pittsburgh stays?

Headed there again this weekend for NYE and the Steelers game. I remember liking this place a lot, but wondered about a couple things:
Has anyone ever emailed/called in advance about an upgrade based on status?
There's a parking alternative to valet, right?

I want to make this a special weekend for me and the GF, so any insights would be great!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
We're going to visit Pittsburgh this summer. What is the best property for using *points and which one is the best overall for a leisure trip? Which property has the best and friendliest service? Is there a subway station near either of the two hotels?

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 16, 2006 at 10:37 am
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
I used to live there. The Sheraton by far. Great access to the city by walking or the subway (very close). Good shops and clubs nearby while there isn't much in the city. Also good restaurants.. If you're going to the museums or outskirts, bus service is also very handy. Close to the incline to go for a walk on Mount Washington overlooking the city. Also easier in and out with a car. Not much of a distance difference.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
We're going to visit Pittsburgh this summer. What is the best property for using *points and which one is the best overall for a leisure trip? Which property has the best and friendliest service? Is there a subway station near either of the two hotels?
The sheraton is near the subway. it is a great location. Lots of things right their to do.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
I prefer the Westin. I was there two weeks, first week Westin, second week Sheraton. I checked out after the first night at the Sheraton and went back to the Westin. I can't stand those noisey Heating/AC units that a lot of Sheraton's seem to use. I prefer the room and the bathroom at the Westin as well.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
The "subway" (I struggle to call it that), is a block or so away from the Sheraton and will take you right downtown. Or you can walk across the historic Smithfield Street Bridge to downtown in about 15 minutes. The Westin is a walk to anything downtown.

It's a bit of a toss-up, but I'd probably go with the Sheraton.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Are you guys saying the Sheraton is a better property or that it's just in a better location? Is downtown Pittsburgh dead at night; Not many residential areas? My hotel choice will probably be the hotel with the best service. I don't like snotty and snobish attitude at all. I've seen the best and the worst when it comes to "staff hospitality". Worst; (Sheraton Center Toronto)
Anyhow,

For location in Pittsburgh the survey says; Sheraton.
For...
Best property (rooms, cleanliness, amenities, etc..) = Sheraton or Westin?
Best service (staff, restaurant, valet, etc...) = Sheraton or Westin?

Thanks!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 17, 2006 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, downtown is pretty dead at night. It's certainly a commuter town, very few people live in the city. In fact, that's a plus for the Sheraton. It's part of the Station Square shopping/bar/entertainment complex and just down the street from the South Side bars.

I can't comment on the other questions outside of business meetings, Holiday Parties, etc.

fwiw, trip advisor rates the Sheraton slightly higher based on user surveys. And the Westin is rated best for Business Travel and Large Groups - which makes sense as it's attached to the Convention Center. The Sheraton is rated best for "Couples and Romantics" and "Students".
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:28 am
Wi-Fi

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
One minor thought to (add), from the Sheraton to downtown, it's a short walk across a bridge. It's a nice walk. 15 minutes or so.
This is very dependent on the weather - most of the time I wouldn't want to do this walk as it can be freezing in the winter with ice on the bridge or sweltering in the summer.

I stay at the Westin every 4 or 5 weeks and it's perfect for me since it is close to my work downtown. The free wireless and other Westin touches make it a fine location.

Downtown is indeed dead at night so Station Square is a better choice for entertainment. There are a variety of restaurants nearby from Hooters to the Grand Concourse, a converted railway station. (Pittsburgh residents stop reading here) Most of the restaurants have uninspiring cuisine, even if they don't put french fries in their salads and sandwiches. If you are downtown I recommend trying out the Opus in the Renaissance hotel.

Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
What is the best Pittsburgh property if I am visiting Carnegie Melon Univ. ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.