Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh: Sheraton or Westin [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Haven't stayed at either property before, but I'm leaning towards the Westin simply because it's convenient to the Airport Flyer bus that runs to/from the airport.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by maize&blue
Haven't stayed at either property before, but I'm leaning towards the Westin simply because it's convenient to the Airport Flyer bus that runs to/from the airport.
+1

Also if you don't have a car, Westin has more restaurants within walking distance.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:46 am

Actually, there are more restaurant right next to the Sheraton. Search Station Square. If you walk about 5-10 minutes from the Westin, you have allot more cloices including great steak houses. Just started a project and trying both SPG properties as well as the Renaissance. So far leaning toward the Sheraton even though it is a longer walk to work. However, I will probably stay at the Renaissance if I go to a ball game as it is right across the river.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Sheraton has a boat that takes you right to the ballpark. Kind of a fun way to go to/from the game.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: National Exec Elite
For those of you that have business in the Robinson/Airport area, I invited you to try the newly transitioned Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport. We are in a renovation now that began last December but we are due to be complete in August of this year.Upon completion, we will have all of the new Sheraton features. We currently are renovating the lobby, restaurant and final 3 floors of rooms. If you can live with that, I invite you to give us a try now!! I am the Business Transient Sales Manager.You can contact me if you like at 412-375-5160 or [email protected]
Old May 17, 2013, 1:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Checked out of the Sheraton Station Sq earlier today. Beware the bell desk car service recommendation!

I asked for a cab and they ordered a car service. Claimed it was same price as a cab at $50 + tip to PIT, and it was their trusted company, and they said cabs were iffy.

Having being working in PIT for the last several weeks, I knew this wasn't the case and that the price they quoted was about a 30% markup, but didn't argue as I was in a rush. (T-90 to take off.) And then their so called reliable car service didn't turn up!! Finally had to walk up a bit and flag a passing cab.

Metered cab fare = $34 + tip.
Old May 21, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

FYI Westin rooms service only has a $2.50 service charge.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Checked out of the Sheraton Station Sq earlier today. Beware the bell desk car service recommendation!

I asked for a cab and they ordered a car service. Claimed it was same price as a cab at $50 + tip to PIT, and it was their trusted company, and they said cabs were iffy.

Having being working in PIT for the last several weeks, I knew this wasn't the case and that the price they quoted was about a 30% markup, but didn't argue as I was in a rush. (T-90 to take off.) And then their so called reliable car service didn't turn up!! Finally had to walk up a bit and flag a passing cab.

I lived in Pittsburgh for 13 years, and let me assure you, Yellow Cab in Pittsburgh has got to be the worst cab operation I have ever encountered. I can regale dozens of stories of 30-60 minute waits for cabs and more that have just never arrived. Using a town car in Pittsburgh, or dealing with one of the many groups of cabbies within Yellow Cab (there must be dozens of smaller groups that dispatch within the cab company amongst their own) is the only reliable way to know you will go when you want to go. They steered you the right way.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NicolePitt
For those of you that have business in the Robinson/Airport area, I invited you to try the newly transitioned Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport.
I just discovered this last week, and stayed Thursday evening. What a wonderful change from my usual joint (Four Points). Was told there was a 'lounge' in a room on the 9th floor, but didn't get a chance to try it (early flight). Everyone there is so happy and helpful, even as I parked, a groundskeeper went out of his way to point me towards the temporary entrance. I'm there again this Thursday night, so happy to have this option at the airport.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by stewlevine
I lived in Pittsburgh for 13 years, and let me assure you, Yellow Cab in Pittsburgh has got to be the worst cab operation I have ever encountered. I can regale dozens of stories of 30-60 minute waits for cabs and more that have just never arrived. Using a town car in Pittsburgh, or dealing with one of the many groups of cabbies within Yellow Cab (there must be dozens of smaller groups that dispatch within the cab company amongst their own) is the only reliable way to know you will go when you want to go. They steered you the right way.
Fair enough. Except that their steer was a no show altogether! And my knight to the rescue turned out to be a yellow cab.

Back in PIT next week, at the Westin this time though, so hopefully will have a better time of it.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GuysInCT
I just discovered this last week, and stayed Thursday evening. What a wonderful change from my usual joint (Four Points). Was told there was a 'lounge' in a room on the 9th floor, but didn't get a chance to try it (early flight). Everyone there is so happy and helpful, even as I parked, a groundskeeper went out of his way to point me towards the temporary entrance. I'm there again this Thursday night, so happy to have this option at the airport.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please let me know if I can ever be of service

Nicole Wellington
Business Transient Sales Manager
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Fair enough. Except that their steer was a no show altogether! And my knight to the rescue turned out to be a yellow cab.

Back in PIT next week, at the Westin this time though, so hopefully will have a better time of it.
You might want to try Classy Cab. A lot more reliable than Yellow Cab in Pittsburgh which is not saying much.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge

This was a common problem with the sheraton. I stayed there for 2.5 years and have spoken to the general manager about it. The problem is that the yellow cabs basically ignore the sheraton because of the bell hops sending business to there sketchy car services. It is a vicious circle. Cabs should be at most $45 with tip. These guys start at $50. I recommend finding another car service (ask your friends) and just use them. Otherwise just find a cab stand downtown (outside the Westin, or other hotels).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:54 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Stayed at Sheraton and Westin both last year so adding a data point.

Would advice getting a rental and staying at the Sheraton if that's possible. If not, stay at the Westin.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Does the Westin still have that terrible odor in the hallways? I stayed there in Dec 2011, and I remember a foul mildew-like odor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.