Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
A shame. I recall the breakfast buffet was amazing a few years ago.

Cheers,
The food was actually quite decent - the problem was getting anything hot!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
A shame. I recall the breakfast buffet was amazing a few years ago.
The breakfast buffet is housed in a large room during the renovations, so it isn't in a proper restaurant. They bring food in that is cooked elsewhere on the property, with only a small staffed station for eggs and omelettes.

Speaking to staff, it should return to the former glory when it is re-housed in the restaurant eventually.

I would describe the current set-up as functional at best. As a Platinum breakfast offer it is decent, but I wouldn't be happy paying the full price for it as it is still priced as before.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
@skijosh regarding the renovations.. I've recently stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and I've got mixed feelings.

As discussed above, the breakfast is in a large room, but in a nice scene and style. It's clear where to enter and exit the hotel.
I have stayed in a newly renovated room, announced by staff as a gift from heaven. Unfortunately there was a huge problem with the airconditioning system. I had to call the reception at 2am to ask for an engineer to repair the system, since it was making a terrible noise. The very friendly engineer arrived within 20 minutes and shut down the full system, after removing some furniture in the room to locate the switches.
Reception staff promised me to take care of the issue and to get back to me before 4pm the next day. Nothing happened.. I've called them again at 5pm and they said no other rooms were available and no mobile fans or mobile airco or whatsoever. Reception staff actually didn't really care about my concerns.

Besides, the room was quite dusty and not well cleaned.

If are paying the full price, wait for the renovations to be finished, so staff members are less stressed and the rooms are fully functioning. Until that time, go to the nearby Hilton or Le Meridien.

entrance during renovations - easy to find
dusty room
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by RAPC
The breakfast buffet is housed in a large room during the renovations, so it isn't in a proper restaurant. They bring food in that is cooked elsewhere on the property, with only a small staffed station for eggs and omelettes.

Speaking to staff, it should return to the former glory when it is re-housed in the restaurant eventually.

I would describe the current set-up as functional at best. As a Platinum breakfast offer it is decent, but I wouldn't be happy paying the full price for it as it is still priced as before.
So as a Platinum with two rooms, and 3/per room, would I be given free breakfast here for all 6 of us?
Man, that would save me a TON of money every day!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
So as a Platinum with two rooms, and 3/per room, would I be given free breakfast here for all 6 of us?
Man, that would save me a TON of money every day!
You should get two at least. Might be able to sweet talk the wait staff for the the third person in the Plat's room. All six would be awesome, but that's not the benefit.

Cheers,
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
You should get two at least. Might be able to sweet talk the wait staff for the the third person in the Plat's room. All six would be awesome, but that's not the benefit.

Cheers,
Thank you sir! ^
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

Cheers,
I had two rooms (1 person in each room) and had quite a fight to get the 2nd breakfast for my colleague in the other room. Took 5 minutes of discussion with the front desk to sort it.

I also had 3 rooms with 3 people and the most they would do was 2 breakfasts and the 3rd paid. Based on recent experiences I would say that one room may well be fully covered, but 6 people is unlikely. Obviously different staff may have a different view, so YMMV.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Sheraton Park Lane

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I would also avoid room 848 ... with "extreme prejudice"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/06/alexander-litvinenko-and-the-most-radioactive-towel-in-history

Interestingly enough, someone upthread in 2009 mentions being "upgraded" to this room.
Interesting .. I would hate to have been made aware that I stayed in that room with all that radioactive trace material before it was discovered and subsequently cleaned.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Originally Posted by Nfldflyer
Interesting .. I would hate to have been made aware that I stayed in that room with all that radioactive trace material before it was discovered and subsequently cleaned.
What a gripping read. Thanks for that excerpt. I'd love to find out what steps the hotel took when all this came to light (which was, if I'm not mistaken, months after the assassin was walking around contaminating everything, with Room 848 being 'ground zero').

While I've never stayed at the hotel, I've dined in the Palm Court.. and that came quite close to playing a central part to the story, as it turns out!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:41 pm
BCH

So what steps has the hotel taken to remove all risks of radiation poisoning?for example, since the assassin's highly radioactive towels were mixed with the other bedding and towels - have all those been replaced?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by BCH
So what steps has the hotel taken to remove all risks of radiation poisoning?for example, since the assassin's highly radioactive towels were mixed with the other bedding and towels - have all those been replaced?
There are no risks of contamination. The events took place approximately 10 years ago, and the isotope turns itself into lead after a year or so.
FWIW, my favorite room in the Park Lane was on the same floor as the assassin, and I spent a good bit of time there in those years. Eek!

But it was a great article! Thanks for sharing!
Dave
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Just had a 5 day stay here that I upgraded using a SNA. One of my best uses of a SNA - we got a park view suite that was absolutely amazing. Very large, great view of Green park, nicely renovated, with Molton Brown toiletries.

Only complaint is that the suite, like the normal rooms, are not very well thought out in terms of light switches at the wrong place and flooded bathrooms.

After the renovation this has become my definite new go-to place to stay in when in London.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:19 pm

Does anyone know the current situation with respect to the club lounge? As a holder of the SPG business credit card, I enjoy the free food and drinks I get in Sheraton lounges. I'm going to London next month and lounge access (or complimentary buffet breakfast as a substitute) would make the difference between going here and elsewhere.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
Does anyone know the current situation with respect to the club lounge? As a holder of the SPG business credit card, I enjoy the free food and drinks I get in Sheraton lounges. I'm going to London next month and lounge access (or complimentary buffet breakfast as a substitute) would make the difference between going here and elsewhere.
The hotel is under renovation and there is a plan to build out a club lounge, but I think that is many months away.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
Club lounge is not ready yet. I believe the current reception area will become the new lounge. Maybe you can try asking them for complimentary breakfast instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.