Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Club lounge is not ready yet. I believe the current reception area will become the new lounge. Maybe you can try asking them for complimentary breakfast instead?
If someone would get lounge access by virtue of SPG Plat then they can have a free buffet breakfast (which is so so in the current location) as a plat amenity.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GOP_Tiger
Does anyone know the current situation with respect to the club lounge? As a holder of the SPG business credit card, I enjoy the free food and drinks I get in Sheraton lounges. I'm going to London next month and lounge access (or complimentary buffet breakfast as a substitute) would make the difference between going here and elsewhere.
I just completed an 11-night stay there, and can confirm that the club lounge is *not* yet open. As a plat, you can choose the breakfast amenity which is a full buffet, temporarily being hosted in the Oak Room.

The east side of the hotel is now fully renovated, while the west side is closed and under renovation. This means that there is also currently no gym (FD mentioned that the gym is scheduled to reopen in early May, no club lounge (which will be in the west side), and no permanent restaurant (aside from Smith & Whistle, which is more of a bar). Also, afternoon tea is currently in one of the meeting rooms in the east side (the Palm Court is in the west side, and therefore under renovation).

BTW, because there is no gym currently at the PL, they are providing passes to use the gym at the LMP. I suppose you can consider the 10-minute walk down there as your warm-up
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by eeebee
I just completed an 11-night stay there, and can confirm that the club lounge is *not* yet open. As a plat, you can choose the breakfast amenity which is a full buffet, temporarily being hosted in the Oak Room.

The east side of the hotel is now fully renovated, while the west side is closed and under renovation. This means that there is also currently no gym (FD mentioned that the gym is scheduled to reopen in early May, no club lounge (which will be in the west side), and no permanent restaurant (aside from Smith & Whistle, which is more of a bar). Also, afternoon tea is currently in one of the meeting rooms in the east side (the Palm Court is in the west side, and therefore under renovation).

BTW, because there is no gym currently at the PL, they are providing passes to use the gym at the LMP. I suppose you can consider the 10-minute walk down there as your warm-up
Do you have any room or hotel pictures? Did they mention when the west side will be completed?
Old May 9, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Stayed here recently - the main entrance and the Palm Court reopened on May 4th... we were told we were the first customers served! (they had left a letter for a free drink under our door with the opening announcement.)
Old May 25, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by eeebee
I'm between this hotel and the Hyatt Churchill for a trip in July.. does anyone know when the club lounge will re-open? I cannot find this information on the hotel's website tho could be looking in the wrong place. I would be booking the Art Deco suite and am Platinum - is there any accommodation for not having a club lounge other than breakfast? Some people have mentioned an afternoon tea but not sure if that is complimentary to those who would've had lounge access.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by River in Sight
I'm between this hotel and the Hyatt Churchill for a trip in July.. does anyone know when the club lounge will re-open? I cannot find this information on the hotel's website tho could be looking in the wrong place. I would be booking the Art Deco suite and am Platinum - is there any accommodation for not having a club lounge other than breakfast? Some people have mentioned an afternoon tea but not sure if that is complimentary to those who would've had lounge access.

I can't see the lounge being open for July.

As the property never had a lounge previously they are not doing anything due to there not being a lounge as its a benefit they are adding in the future but not something they have removed during the renovations. This is one of the reasons there is no mention on the website, it will only be added once it is open or confirmed opening date and they actually start selling club rooms etc!
Old May 27, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
According to media reports, it is confirmed that the hotel will be rebranded and become part of the Sheraton Grand portfolio.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
According to media reports, it is confirmed that the hotel will be rebranded and become part of the Sheraton Grand portfolio.
Is the main entrance still at the back of the building on Brick St?
Old May 27, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not showing on Starwood's site yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true. And of course it will signal a significant price upgrade from what we've been used to the last several years.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:22 am

At this property now. Club lounge is scheduled to open July 17. I did not stay here pre-renovation but the renovated rooms are very nice. Hotel is sold out so no upgrade; received the superior room that I booked. Very quiet and comfortable, nice finishes and plenty of room including for a crib. Only one elevator is working now which can slow things down but it appears there will be a second very soon.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:09 pm

Been there just last week. Agree with all you said; no lounge, no compensation offer; but very friendly staff (Dutch shift manager).

Hotel itself very quiet, renovated room was small but nicely appointed (nice big shower). I'm on the edge whether I like it more than The Great Northern - one is dark (PLH) whereas the other one rather light (GNH).

Hope they get a 2nd elevator to work, the wait was sometimes quite cumbersome.

Great to have this option now since the Le Meridien Piccadilly is nothing more than a ruin with horrendous personnel.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by crispeta
Been there just last week. Agree with all you said; no lounge, no compensation offer; but very friendly staff (Dutch shift manager).

Hotel itself very quiet, renovated room was small but nicely appointed (nice big shower). I'm on the edge whether I like it more than The Great Northern - one is dark (PLH) whereas the other one rather light (GNH).

Hope they get a 2nd elevator to work, the wait was sometimes quite cumbersome.

Great to have this option now since the Le Meridien Piccadilly is nothing more than a ruin with horrendous personnel.

How do the room sizes at the PL compare to the GN? I've got an upcoming stay and am trying to decide between the two hotels.

It sounds like the PL has larger rooms and a forthcoming club lounge and is near the neighborhood I want to base out of.

On the other hand, the GN has an excellent restaurant, is closer to the Underground, but has no club lounge and sounds like it has smaller rooms.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Globehopper
How do the room sizes at the PL compare to the GN? I've got an upcoming stay and am trying to decide between the two hotels.

It sounds like the PL has larger rooms and a forthcoming club lounge and is near the neighborhood I want to base out of.

On the other hand, the GN has an excellent restaurant, is closer to the Underground, but has no club lounge and sounds like it has smaller rooms.
PL rooms are normal for London, which is small for other places. GN rooms are small for London and tiny for other places.

No club lounge at GN but pantries on each floor with snacks and coffee.

Overall GN feels more luxurious, even after the PL renovations, but the room sizes are really tiny. And location will depend on each person's own needs.

Also, if you are staying this month, worth considering that the Park Lane is technically a Sheraton and would earn triple points in the current promotion, vs double at the Great Northern.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
PL rooms are normal for London, which is small for other places. GN rooms are small for London and tiny for other places.

No club lounge at GN but pantries on each floor with snacks and coffee.

Overall GN feels more luxurious, even after the PL renovations, but the room sizes are really tiny. And location will depend on each person's own needs.

Also, if you are staying this month, worth considering that the Park Lane is technically a Sheraton and would earn triple points in the current promotion, vs double at the Great Northern.

Thanks, bgriff for your insights!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:35 pm

I completed a four-night stay here with my wife and one-year-old earlier this month. We took a day flight from NYC into LHR and the transit to the hotel was pretty painless compared to other London hotels I've stayed at - taking the Tube to Green Park, there are no stairs the entire way which made for a much less sweaty arrival than some other trips.

We booked and received a Superior room - the hotel was sold out for at least part of our stay and I didn't expect an upgrade. I really liked the room - it was very quiet and comfortable. My wife mentioned hearing noise one night but I never heard anything and slept great in the comfortable bed. The room had a large walk-in closet and very large bathroom. I really liked the finishes in the room and it felt a good notch above a typical Sheraton. The windows open to allow fresh air in.

I believe the lounge was set to open today, July 17, but when we were there it wasn't finished. Breakfast was in the restaurant and I will address that below. Although the hotel faces Park Lane, it's a pain to get through the hotel with luggage from that entrance due to stairs - the better bet is to go to the Brick Lane entrance. We enjoyed the location of the hotel and found it good for transit and sights. We didn't use the gym or other facilities thus cannot comment.

There were two problems during our stay: (1) the elevators. During our stay, only one elevator worked and at least two times it wasn't working at all, leaving only the stairs (which were also marked as being closed, but which people used anyway) or the very small staff elevator. This was a particular problem the morning we were leaving, when the only elevator didn't work and we burned a lot of time simply trying to get from the top floor to the ground floor with all of our stuff. For the size of the hotel, the elevator arrangement was not acceptable. (2) the service at breakfast, though the staff all seemed well-intentioned, was chaotic. Each day, we had to wait several minutes just to be seated and the staff always had a general look of panic on their faces with difficulty getting coffee or other items. The last day was especially bad, perhaps compounded by the elevator situation, but it took us so long to be seated we barely had time to eat before we had to leave. I'm not too picky and the staff really were kind, but something needs to be changed at breakfast.. perhaps opening the lounge will help.

For the price, coupled with the Sheraton triple-points promotion, I thought this hotel was a great deal. I would stay there again for the right price and depending on the news about the club lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.