Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Mmmm... afternoon tea. Evening nibbles. This can cut into sightseeing time or visiting friends.

Anyone know what are the hours of the afternoon tea? Hours of the evening snacks?

Has has anyone been able to confirm whether Plats can still eat free of charge at the restaurant during breakfast in lieu of the Club Lounge?
Afternoon tea is 2:30-4:30pm, evening snacks are 5:30-7:30pm. (There may be an extra half hour that I am forgetting on either or both of those.)

Good to hear that restaurant breakfast is still an option. There was some confusion in the hotel's systems when I checked in with them thinking I was gold (based on my status at my previous stay, it seems), which did not get resolved until the third day of my stay, so I did not get to properly inquire. But the club breakfast spread is modest so it would definitely be worth taking the restaurant breakfast option IMO.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You might think that a Sheraton Grande would do more than the basic Sheraton lounge drinks.
It is the only downside, the offering in that respect is far worse than Sheraton Grand Edinburgh and also Hilton Lounges in London.

I had hoped they may try and one up LeMerien who's lounge has been continuely 'enhanced' in past couple of years to the point I no longer stay there. Seems however they have simply decided to match it's offerings.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Afternoon tea is 2:30-4:30pm, evening snacks are 5:30-7:30pm. (There may be an extra half hour that I am forgetting on either or both of those.)

Good to hear that restaurant breakfast is still an option. There was some confusion in the hotel's systems when I checked in with them thinking I was gold (based on my status at my previous stay, it seems), which did not get resolved until the third day of my stay, so I did not get to properly inquire. But the club breakfast spread is modest so it would definitely be worth taking the restaurant breakfast option IMO.
bgriff, UKTraveler4Fun, thanks for your replies.

I wonder if they would mind my picking up my afternoon tea items from the Club Lounge and consuming it in the Palm Court? It would help free up space in the Club Lounge for others.

Between the afternoon tea and evening snacks, this could tether me to the hotel. Could be troublesome. May need to select a no frills hotel, like easyHotel.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Great Stay

My family stayed here for 5 days the first week in August. I booked two rooms using points. Being that I had 4 adults and 2 kids, I needed upgraded rooms.
After contacting the hotel, they offered to upgrade one room complimentary b/c of my status and for 5,000 points they would upgrade the other room...I jumped on it.
We had two rooms on the 7th floor...744 and 748. The rooms were very big...even by American Standards. We had a king sized bed and a roll away in each room and never felt crowded. The rooms were renovated and VERY comfortable. Modern bath, modern furnishings, etc., and a VERY comfortable bed.
Pros
-Club Lounge service was the best I've experienced. We were trying to decide one night after drinks (complimentary alcohol btw) where to eat for dinner. The staff had suggestions outside the hotel and then went and fetched menus for us from the in house restaurants. We ended up ordering from two restaurants and they served us in the lounge...very nice!
-Breakfast in the club was plentiful and had a great variety as well as a nice espresso machine, which I appreciated!
-Rooms (see above)
-Front desk service was very warm and friendly
-Housekeeping did a nice job of fixing up the room every day.
-location is fantastic for tourist activities
Cons
-The only con we had was the elevator situation. Two small elevators are not enough for this hotel. In addition, we couldn't walk down the stairs all the way because of construction, so we were stuck waiting. It wasn't ridiculous, but it was longer than most hotels.

I can say that this will be my go to hotel when heading back to London...really enjoyed my stay!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Press release today:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/10/she...nd-renovation/

"Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, part of Marriott International, Inc (NASDAQ:MAR), today announced the official unveil of the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane after a multi-million pound transformation of its 303 guest rooms and public spaces, including the famed Palm Court Lounge and Grade II listed Art Deco Ballroom and Silver Gallery."

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Just had the pleasure of spending 3 days at this incredible hotel. We had booked for our Silver Anniversary, and had put in a request for "something special" if at all possible. To add, I do not hold any special status with SPG.

The hotel provided us with a Park View Suite which is more like an apartment - just sensational !!

http://www.sheratonparklane.com/rooms/parkview

When we came back from the theatre on our first night, a very nice Prosecco was waiting for us.

Club room staff were top notch, as well as any requests from housekeeping.

A wonderful taste of the 1930's Art Deco scene together with all the mod cons - and probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in.

And to top it all off - fabulous weather in London - ate outdoors twice and had drinks on the roof bar of The Trafalgar (part of the Hilton group) - wonderful views, and drinks at very fair prices, given the position.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Press release today:

http://news.marriott.com/2016/10/she...nd-renovation/

"Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, part of Marriott International, Inc (NASDAQ:MAR), today announced the official unveil of the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane after a multi-million pound transformation of its 303 guest rooms and public spaces, including the famed Palm Court Lounge and Grade II listed Art Deco Ballroom and Silver Gallery."

Cheers.
It's weird to see the Marriott name on this press release as I'd think if they had been in charge prior to this remodel it would be very different with a lot of cheap formica/veneer and homogenizing the original Art Decor to something more in line with a tacky suburban Marriott.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
Just had the pleasure of spending 3 days at this incredible hotel. We had booked for our Silver Anniversary, and had put in a request for "something special" if at all possible. To add, I do not hold any special status with SPG.

The hotel provided us with a Park View Suite which is more like an apartment - just sensational !!

http://www.sheratonparklane.com/rooms/parkview

When we came back from the theatre on our first night, a very nice Prosecco was waiting for us.

Club room staff were top notch, as well as any requests from housekeeping.

A wonderful taste of the 1930's Art Deco scene together with all the mod cons - and probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in.

And to top it all off - fabulous weather in London - ate outdoors twice and had drinks on the roof bar of The Trafalgar (part of the Hilton group) - wonderful views, and drinks at very fair prices, given the position.
How lovely. I've been upgraded to a suite here half a dozen times; never to one as nice as this. Nice to see good things happening at my go-to property in London. Congratulations on the anniversary!

Cheers,
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:03 am

I have an upcoming stay here and I'm pretty excited reading the recent reviews and I snagged this for 12k points before the category change.

It looks like the lounge has a nice breakfast option but is there also a platinum amneity breakfast at their restaurant? Any one know if it is vastly better then the lounge?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It's weird to see the Marriott name on this press release as I'd think if they had been in charge prior to this remodel it would be very different with a lot of cheap formica/veneer and homogenizing the original Art Decor to something more in line with a tacky suburban Marriott.
Doubt it. Realize you're anti-Marriott (and have a fixation on suburban Marriotts ), but in historic & upscale properties Marriott's been good about preserving what makes them unique, including some of its London properties.

This property used to be old & tired, so I'm delighted it's gotten a renovation & is getting glowing reviews. And it's not very far from a pub that FTers meet up at when in London.

Cheers.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Think of the lounge as beverages only and you'll be happy

Good recent stay here. Nice to see the renovations complete.

Mix-up with suite nights: they downgraded me but they made the best of the situation. I love that suites offer Molton Brown soaps instead of the rather down-market Shine stuff in most Sheraton suites.

The Club Lounge is beautiful; lots of great seating options: tables, booths, couches, even a boardroom with a large TV and its own coffee machine. Service in the lounge was very attentive with the staff offering to refill drinks and make tea/coffee. I loved that espresso and tea were seemingly available 24/7 with take-away cups. Same with water and soda. Evenings had wine + a small selection of alcohol and mixers. The disappointment was the food: on most of my visits only 1 of the hot trays had something on offer and what was on offer was unappetizing. There were crocks of dry things to scoop from (pretzels, cookies, bad nuts, etc.) and in the evening there were tiny canapes, but no veggies or cheese. Not that I was looking for a meal, but didn't find the selection evening worth whetting my appetite.

Breakfast was better, but never any meats nor potatoes (I know, American). Lots of breads, decent fruits and always 1 egg dish. It made me miss the full breakfast on offer prior to the lounge.

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Nov 18, 2016 at 10:06 am Reason: typo fix
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
SNA 3 Night on Points

Full suite, SPG floor, facing Park, bedroom did not face street.
Lounge breakfast (as always with rare exception) needs work.
Superior craft cocktails.

Full Breakfast 10£ upgrade fine, except in the U.K. I expect to eat real bacon. They had shoe leather masquerading as bacon here.

Only complaint, lol. Well, actually - the 70's Retro refit is not to my liking although done perfectly. Your taste may differ up to wildly approving.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I finished a five-night stay this week. I stayed at this hotel a bunch of times until about nine years ago when it became long-overdue for a refurb. They've done a very nice job of bringing the hotel up to date.

I was given what I believe to be a Superior Room (807) on the top floor. The room is large, well laid out and well lit. The bed is very comfortable and there are lots of electrical outlets (insufficient outlets is a particular annoyance for me) including USB charging outlets and a euro-style prong outlet at the desk. There is a Nespresso machine in the room. The bathroom is very nice. My room had a shower (I think other rooms may have baths) with a rainfall and a hand-held shower heads. Standard Sheraton amenities.

The lounge is very nice. It is fairly large although it may fill up at peak times. I thought breakfast was very good. They have an egg dish that varies day-to-day (e.g., scrambled, fried, fritatta, benedict). A couple of days the eggs were accompanied by sausages. There is also a selection of deli meats, smoked fish and cheese plus fruit, yogurt and cereal. There are an espresso machine and pitchers of drip coffee and tea. At tea time there are beers and wine (I don't recall if there were liquors on offer) plus a selection of snacks. Later in the evening there are some snacks and cookies. The lounge staff is very good. They go well beyond what I expect of lounge staff.

The Palm Court, which was always very nice, is even nicer now. I didn't eat in either restaurant.

The gym is expanded from what I recall. It has the usual cardio machines plus weight machines and free weights.

Yes, there are still only the two elevators and I'm a bit surprised that they weren't speeded up as part of the renovation, but they weren't a problem (although this isn't peak season). FYI, I think the elevator on the east side is a bit faster.

In conclusion, what had become a frumpy old hotel in great need of renovation (remember how the floors creaked?) has lost its frump and is now fully up to a standard commensurate with its location. I'll be back.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks for the review Eric.

Just to clarify: the adult beverages, are they gratis or at a fee? I assume that there are adult beverages in the evening as well?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Gratis, at least for beer and wine. I don't recall if there was anything else as I wasn't in the market for anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.