Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Stayed here over Valentines Day weekend and had a somewhat frustrating stay that is documented here.
A brief overview-
The good:
1) Allowed me to check in early (~11am)
2) Location

The bad:
1) No suite upgrade even though select standards were available and were being offered to everyone as a paid upgrade for Valentines day (they later apologized and offered me a suite, but I didn't have time to re-pack and move. They ended up giving me some courtesy points for the confusion).
2) No platinum amenity posted, which is annoying because they asked me at check-in which amenity I'd prefer
3) Poor sound proofing- I am a deep sleeper and was woken up each morning by the maids tapping their keys on every room down the hall
4) Did not put me on the SPG floor so no free water (had to call to get it delivered) and bare amenities- only two towels, no body wash/mouth wash/ etc.
5) Poor water pressure- first time I have stayed at a Westin that did not have an amazing dual shower head with strong water pressure. Bathroom was nice marble, but the shower was bad.

Overall, a mediocre stay and one that made me status match to Hyatt. I realize that I no longer want to haggle for a suite upgrade and be made to feel like a criminal when asking. I'd much rather have 4 confirmed suite upgrades that I can use for my leisure travel. I'm still going to retain SPG Plat, because there are a lot of things about the program that I like (C+P, international locations, overall good customer care), but the confirmed suite upgrades at Hyatt are too good to turn down.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Let me preface this by saying that I am total points whore. So the fact that I landed at O'Hare at 5 p.m. last night and had to be back at the airport by 8:30 this morning, plus the mediocre reviews of the Westin Michigan Ave and poor platinum treatment did not deter me from staying at this property. I even took the subway downtown rather than pay the exorbitant parking fee ($45 I think). What did entice me was a great rate ($140), BRG, and credit toward the Westin/Amazon promo.

As expected, no upgrade for me, which I really didn't care about anyhow. However, my room was cold (not Miami Four Points cold, but cold none the less), even after I had the thermostat set at 78F all night. I put my coat, scarf and socks on with my pajamas as there wasn't even a bathrobe in the room. In the morning, I also realized that there was no coffee or tea in the caddy. (Luckily I always keep a few tea bags in my suitcase.)

When I checked out, I mentioned the cold room, lack of bathrobe and lack of coffee/tea in the room. The FDA was very apologetic and offered me 5000 courtesy pts. ^ But before I walked away (or even said anything other than thank you), he upped the ante to 10,000 pts! ^^ He said I deserved a free night for all the issues. Sure brightened my day.

Another odd thing: I also told him that I had left a piece of paper on the floor pointing to a big piece of what felt like concrete that had been left under the carpeting in the room. Not enough to stub your toe on, but enough to be painful if walked on in your bare feet. Talk about shoddy workmanship. (I hadn't even brought this up when he comped me the points.)

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 10, 2010 at 3:05 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AA Plat
March 3 Stay

Have styaed here several times, but as Platinum, never have received any upgrade (last week's stay was standard room). Sheraton beter option - at least they have the lounge for a "free" breakfast. No more Westin on Michagin.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:08 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
actually the four points is not a bad option if you want to be really close to michigan ave.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Reading these last few posts I wonder if I stayed at the same place! I LOVE this hotel and the staff has been amazing the times that I have stayed there. Sounds like a real YMMV hotel! Yvonne at the front desk is one of the best Starwood employees I have ever encountered.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pitbrian
3) Poor sound proofing- I am a deep sleeper and was woken up each morning by the maids tapping their keys on every room down the hall

4) Did not put me on the SPG floor so no free water (had to call to get it delivered) and bare amenities- only two towels, no body wash/mouth wash/ etc.
Nail, head on the loud housekeepers. I had a suite but the bedroom had a connecting door. The housekeepers were in there at 9 AM sharp smashing their vacuums against the wall and connecting door. So, I guess I was up for the day. As I laid in bed, I could hear housekeeping the hallway. Boy, were they loud.

I, as well, was not put on an SPG floor but I drank the water in the room. I hope I don't get charged.

Big thumbs down for this property. Front desk staff was very nice but the stay was the classic case of "death by a million paper cuts."

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Mar 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
Do they still give out the free passes to the Equinox at 900 N. Michigan Ave?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FortyFive
I'm pretty sure that was temporary while the gym was under renovation/reconstruction. That was 4/5 years ago?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FortyFive
The gym they have is pretty nice, why would you want to? I doubt they even do this as there is no reason anymore.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schley
The gym they have is pretty nice, why would you want to? I doubt they even do this as there is no reason anymore.
I was thinking the same thing.

If this gym was bad, I would have noted it in one of my reviews.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Only reason would be to try and check out the opposite sex in their workout "gear", or perhaps whatever gear they have on. There isn't a lot you couldn't do for a workout at the Westin plus the one time I used it it was dead had the place almost to myself.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schley
Only reason would be to try and check out the opposite sex in their workout "gear", or perhaps whatever gear they have on. There isn't a lot you couldn't do for a workout at the Westin plus the one time I used it it was dead had the place almost to myself.

That's been my experience at most Westins with the exception of the Westin River North.
Old May 4, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Just about OK

Just checked out after a one-night stay. The stay was just about average - check in was efficient, and FD staff was friendly. Upgraded to a "Deluxe King" from a traditional room that I had booked. Room was on the 8th floor, and had free bottled water which was nice (for some reason, they dropped off 2 more bottles later that night). No view to speak of. Didnt mind terribly as I was there for just one day and spent just a few hours at the hotel.

The elevators really are terrible - waited for 10 min in the morning (couldnt get in to the elevators thrice because each one was packed). Decided to take the stairs down (with my rollerboard bag) and voila, saw a service elevator near the exit. Got one to come up almost instantly and had it all to myself This may be a useful way of beating the elevator madness in this hotel!

Will probably return again, esp at the same rate (BRG of 149 + tax, plus 2000 Starpoints when all other *w hotels were upward of 250 per night). But definitely not on a leisure stay.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat and CK, SPG Plat
Took ME by surprise

Walked in to the Westin Michigan Avenue EXPECTING NO upgrade given multiple previous experiences and similar conversations with other SPG friends. The hotel was full AND they DID have an upgrade for me. Needless to say, I was pleased. Even better was the afternoon snack and the handwritten note from the general manager (nice touch!). Even noted my Diet Coke preference. Somehow my hotel karma is pretty good these days.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:12 am

Red face Westin Michigan Ave.

Have stayed at this facility about 5 times a year for the past 5 years and am still waiting for my first upgrade at this location.
Love the facility. Love the restaurant in the lobby. Love walking around the neighborhood. Will be there again on the 28th of June for 3 nights the suspense begins.......:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.