Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
(granted I no long write trip reviews)
Why?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Why?
three people told me that my reviews were fake, unhelpful and useless. So instead of arguing, I just decided to end my review writing.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by neo_781
My in-laws want to stay at this property for an upcoming weekend.
Being from Chicago I haven't ever stayed at this hotel.

They have asked me to get them a room with a Lake View.

I've read the reviews and it sounds like pretty much Platinum's don't get upgrades. However it is my understanding that a better view is technically considered an upgrade (they are booked in a traditional room). Seeing as to guarantee a lake view it'd be another $58/night I don't think it would be worth that.

Knowing that the only way to get exactly what you want is to pay for it ... my question is do you think there is a good likelihood that the platinum upgrade (I'm paying) would at least be for a room with a better view?

From the people who regularly stay here on weekends what say you?

Thanks!
my picture of our obstructed lake view is on the next page over. And I only have a starwood preferred card (booked with points) and was "upgraded" to this view on a weekend. good luck!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by snowymt
my picture of our obstructed lake view is on the next page over. And I only have a starwood preferred card (booked with points) and was "upgraded" to this view on a weekend. good luck!
I just completed my stay here and was given the same 'upgrade' as snowymt. I had a room on the 25th floor with the view of the lake, The Drake Hotel, Palmolive building (no Vince Vaughn sighting!) and assorted other E. Lake Shore Drive properties.

Other than the view the room was very small (typical city hotel).

As far as the rest of the stay goes, besides having to wait for a while when checking in (there was only 1 agent) everyone was very nice and I would say nicer than I would have expected for a big city hotel. The lobby can be quite chaotic but the employees were great (especially the doorman!).

On a side note, I did have a small maintenance issue (the towel bar fell off) but when I called down within minutes someone was up to repair it and also they sent me 500 points unsolicited for the inconvenience.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Just stayed here this weekend. Stay wasn't bad and check-in staff was friendly. There was also some cookies and hot (rather scorching hot) apple cider in the lobby available. ^

I inquired about a suite upgrade and she said there was one she could give me if I waited...but coming off from a red-eye and long drive, my friend and I decided to just forgo and take the only available room -- a regular, non-deluxe, non-"lake view" room on the SPG floor. Had a decent view of Michigan Avenue, John Hancock building side, and the Water Tower.

Room wasn't super big but it was sufficient for us. The bathroom area was a bit worn but that type of thing doesn't really bug me unless I start seeing mold growing on the side or in the grout.

For the price paid and location, I'd definitely stay here again...though I think I actually prefer the room I had last trip over at the W Lakeshore.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
$400 a night during the Cable Show last week. Definitely no value. I thought this was a tired Westin in need of renovation. No Heavenly shower. Ran out of hot water at 6:45 am on Tuesday morning. My sink drain didn't work correctly. I reported both issues to the front desk and they resolved the issues by the next morning. Lightining in the bathrooms is poor, and left me feeling like I was showering and shaving in a cave. Took between 20 and 30 minutes to retrieve my car at the hotel parking garage. A very average stay, which, for me, was unusual at a Westin property. All of my other Westin stays were good to excellent.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Stayed here two nights last week and was underwhelmed. Only stayed here because I was attending a conference down the street at the Four Seasons - otherwise would have been at one of the Ws.

Some sort of computer issue at check-in. The desk clerk serving me tried to log on, apparently had a problem, mumbled something unintelligible, then walked off to the back and never returned. After about 5 minutes, the clerk at the next position asked if I was being helped. I told her I really wasn't sure. She checked me in, but strange - and this was in the SPG Plat line. Wasn't asked about Platinum amenity choice.

No upgrade at all (although in fairness, hotel seemed pretty full). Very small room on a low floor, no view. I did receive a tray with a bottle of water and a piece of candied orange as a "welcome gift".

Six days later, no points have posted for this stay. Will send in the email when the website lets me after 7 days pass. Won't stay here again if I can avoid it - and many better options with *wood in Chicago.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Posted this as its own thread but figured i should have it here....

so around 3 AM yesterday me and a friend booked a last min trip to Chicago, cheap flight which we were both upgraded on, and the traditional room at the Westin Michigan ave on the prepay rate of $127 a night (notice there are deluxe rooms and a crown suite open also). Valet the rental at the hotel ($59 ugh) and get to desk where i realize i left my wallet in the car, while its being retrieved we make small talk with the desk agent. He finds our reservation, notes my Gold is on there, i make a off hand comment about the Crown room (ok maybe a did a bit of the puppy eye thing also....) to which he replies "well i do have one for you....." punches a few keys and gives us the suite!!

Never gotten such a good upgrade as a lowly Gold :P

Love the room, huge wrap around/corner room over Michigan ave on the 12th floor
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Valet the rental at the hotel ($59 ugh)
HOLY CR*P!

Every so often, can't you get this hotel on a Starpicks for $99 or $119 in the middle of the winter on a weekend? Imagine paying $100 for your room and $60 for your car to be in a freezing lot? Wow. Out of whack much?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

Never gotten such a good upgrade as a lowly Gold :P

Love the room, huge wrap around/corner room over Michigan ave on the 12th floor
^ Colin you finally got one
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:24 am
Original Member

Customer Service at FD an issue

I have already filed a complaint with the hotel, will let u know outcome. Here are the details of my last 5 stays:

Check-in Process:

1. NEVER enough people at the counters.
2. The Starwood counter never properly taken care of and people constantly cutting in line.
3. I literally waited while someone filled in an application for the Starwood Preferred program this week.

Check-out Process

1. Never received a final bill under my door or emailed to me.
2. At 7 am, only one man at the counter. He was checking bags plus checking out people. People cutting in line, and he serviced them. This included taking checked baggage, leaving the counter unmanned and storing it. This is not isolated; I observed the same problems yesterday when I left the hotel in the morning.
3. I finally gave up waiting, as did another gentlemen and left.
4. No doorman at the front door. Had to flag my own cab, carry my luggage and got into an argument with the same woman who cut into line in front of me who tried to take my cab.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG
Ditto on everything negative

This is my least favorite Starwood property in Chicago. The staff are not helpful, the rooms are tired, the bathrooms are even worse, and room service is painfully slow. If it was not so well located, I doubt it could hold on to the Westin flag. My advice, just stay away unless you have no choice (unfortunately like I did - three times now).
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:52 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Wow. And as a counterpoint I absolutely loved this hotel and the way they looked after me. The staff in particular were outstanding, and the recognition was excellent too.

I would be delighted to return!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:19 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Location, Location, Location
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abk
Location, Location, Location
Good for shopping - but the Westin River North IMO is much superior for El access, closer to nice restaurants, Plat treatment, etc.

Unfortunately have a stay at the Mich. Ave next week as the River North is painfully high right now for my SET codes and the W Lakeshore has been sold out for two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.