Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
I stayed here four nights for a corporate event this past week. The rooms are exceptionally small, and I had issues with the in-room wireless. The catered food for our event was awesome and much better than the Drake (where we had our event last year). It seemed like half of the odd rooms on our floor were very small based on the floor plan--we got one of these. The even rooms on the floor looked larger than the odd rooms, but YMMV. The Westin River North and the Sheraton will remain my go to hotels when staying in the city if I can't secure a suite at booking.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Zone1
I stayed here four nights for a corporate event this past week. The rooms are exceptionally small, and I had issues with the in-room wireless. The catered food for our event was awesome and much better than the Drake (where we had our event last year). It seemed like half of the odd rooms on our floor were very small based on the floor plan--we got one of these. The even rooms on the floor looked larger than the odd rooms, but YMMV. The Westin River North and the Sheraton will remain my go to hotels when staying in the city if I can't secure a suite at booking.
small? What do you consider small by comparison. I stay here quite frequently and I've never been in a "small" room.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
small? What do you consider small by comparison. I stay here quite frequently and I've never been in a "small" room.
Other than the Wonderful room at the W City Center, it was easily the smallest room out of the close to dozen hotels I've stayed at in the city.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zone1
Other than the Wonderful room at the W City Center, it was easily the smallest room out of the close to dozen hotels I've stayed at in the city.
Ah, I see that you're Gold Elite. So maybe you haven't been in a larger room. I've never been in anything other than a suite at this property so hear you think the rooms are small is surprising to me.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Ah, I see that you're Gold Elite. So maybe you haven't been in a larger room. I've never been in anything other than a suite at this property so hear you think the rooms are small is surprising to me.
Between this and the Westin River North, with all your suite upgrades I swear you stay at different Chicago properties than the rest of us
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Between this and the Westin River North, with all your suite upgrades I swear you stay at different Chicago properties than the rest of us
LOL. Hey I haven't been upgraded at the W Lakeshore!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
It looks like this property is undergoing renovations. Does anyone know when they'll be complete?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CLEguy
It looks like this property is undergoing renovations. Does anyone know when they'll be complete?
Again? They ripped the hotel apart totally in about 2000 to renovate. I had the misfortune to stay there for a meeting during the mess.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Again? They ripped the hotel apart totally in about 2000 to renovate. I had the misfortune to stay there for a meeting during the mess.
So it seems.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLEguy
We'll I'm happy that there will now be an Executive Lounge! Just trying to figure out where on the 14 floor this will be?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:31 pm

We'll I'm happy that there will now be an Executive Lounge! Just trying to figure out where on the 14 floor this will be?
It's on the southwest corner of the 14th floor at the far end of the corridor.

If I recall correctly, the opening hours are 6am-10pm, with breakfast 6am-8am and evening hors d'oeuvre 6pm-8pm. There were about a dozen tables with chairs.

I stopped by at 6pm one night. There were mini pizzas and egg rolls; both were terrible. There was coffee on a counter, soft drinks in a mini fridge, and no alcohol. The food service area is tiny so I cannot imagine they provide many options in the way of breakfast.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by blort
It's on the southwest corner of the 14th floor at the far end of the corridor.

If I recall correctly, the opening hours are 6am-10pm, with breakfast 6am-8am and evening hors d'oeuvre 6pm-8pm. There were about a dozen tables with chairs.

I stopped by at 6pm one night. There were mini pizzas and egg rolls; both were terrible. There was coffee on a counter, soft drinks in a mini fridge, and no alcohol. The food service area is tiny so I cannot imagine they provide many options in the way of breakfast.
Staying here now. Not the nicest Westin I've ever been in for sure, but quite adequate for a business trip. Upgraded as a Plat to what I assume is a Jr. Suite (sitting area with couch/coffee table/armchair, but still one very big room) for the week. I would certainly stay here again, especially if it's like this week where it was substantially cheaper than Westin River North.

I was actually mildly impressed with the hors d'oeuvres and breakfast spread. Hors d'oevres included some prosciutto & salami, cheese selection, crackers, olives, nuts, fruit, as well as the mini pizzas and egg rolls. Agree that the pizzas and egg rolls weren't that great, but the cold foods were just fine for a light snack before dinner. Alcohol was available from the attentive lounge attendant and was charged to your room. Unlike some other Westins, the lounge is accessible via keycard 24 hours - useful for a late night soda/tea/water.

Breakfast included oatmeal, cereals, quite a lot of fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels & lox, and some breads/pastries. Multiple juice options and of course coffee/tea. Again, a much better spread than others in the brand. As a nice touch, they also had the WSJ and USA Today on each table in the morning, vs. just stacks of them at the door.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just got here and wow. They don't have CNBC (in a major U.S. city at a hotel catering to business travelers) but do have Bloomberg & Fox Business with spotty picture quality. Supposed Fox would have been useful to watch the debate last week but seriously no CNBC is a outrageous. Wifi service is spotty, good thing I have a mobile hotspot. Newly "renovated" rooms are shoebox size, and hotel still has a very old feeling to it. Won't be returning in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
two strange things about this hotel

There are two very weird things about this property:
- the front of the hotel & the best views are of the city - not the lake;
- the Westin Workout is tiny, and has no weight machines, no Nautilus machines!

What is up with that?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
There are two very weird things about this property:
- the front of the hotel & the best views are of the city - not the lake;
- the Westin Workout is tiny, and has no weight machines, no Nautilus machines!

What is up with that?
Not sure what you're getting at, but consider the Drake and other office buildings are North of the hotel, how could all rooms have a lake view? Some corner rooms on the upper floors do have lake views.

The Westin Workout is small, comparatively to say the Westin Peachtree or Bonaventure, but they did previously have machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.