Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Re: the photo above; is that thing in the middle of the gym some kind of conceptual art, or is it the world's smallest rock-climbing wall??
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Wink

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Re: the photo above; is that thing in the middle of the gym some kind of conceptual art, or is it the world's smallest rock-climbing wall??
In my world it's called a "room divider" LOL
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:49 pm

Just wanted to post a quick trip report. We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Michigan Avenue--location was great and we were able to walk to many places. We were able to check in early when our flight got in at 11am on Friday and had a late checkout on Sunday at 1pm. We were on the 25th floor and had a nice looking view of the lake. Sure there was a big building in the middle, but you could still see the water! I appreciated the upgrades, esp since I am a nobody with Starwood. It was a nice gesture.

Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by snowymt
Just wanted to post a quick trip report. We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Michigan Avenue--location was great and we were able to walk to many places. We were able to check in early when our flight got in at 11am on Friday and had a late checkout on Sunday at 1pm. We were on the 25th floor and had a nice looking view of the lake. Sure there was a big building in the middle, but you could still see the water! I appreciated the upgrades, esp since I am a nobody with Starwood. It was a nice gesture.

Glad you had a good time. Looks like a gorgeous day!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Kicking myself...

...can't believe I'm staying here again...
Beds are stiff, pillows lumpy, and no breakfast or upgrades. The location is good, but we're going to the Childrens museum in the morning then going to see Lion King, so the location means nothing on this trip...why, why, why did I do this to myself and my family!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bsdstone
...can't believe I'm staying here again...
Beds are stiff, pillows lumpy, and no breakfast or upgrades. The location is good, but we're going to the Childrens museum in the morning then going to see Lion King, so the location means nothing on this trip...why, why, why did I do this to myself and my family!!!!
You know going in that the property doesn't have a lounge or provide breakfast.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
You know going in that the property doesn't have a lounge or provide breakfast.
Absolutely...that's why I'm kicking MYSELF!

The property is what it is...all about location...and this time the location didn't help me...MY FAULT!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
its funny- i'm always the same way. i hate going there, i vow never to go back, yet i always find myself booking that property. a lot of it has to do with location and that with my corporate rate, its generally the cheapest, but i need to stop!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:39 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
you should try the four points. location is not that bad and there you don't feel like I/you do at the Westin.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
My in-laws want to stay at this property for an upcoming weekend.
Being from Chicago I haven't ever stayed at this hotel.

They have asked me to get them a room with a Lake View.

I've read the reviews and it sounds like pretty much Platinum's don't get upgrades. However it is my understanding that a better view is technically considered an upgrade (they are booked in a traditional room). Seeing as to guarantee a lake view it'd be another $58/night I don't think it would be worth that.

Knowing that the only way to get exactly what you want is to pay for it ... my question is do you think there is a good likelihood that the platinum upgrade (I'm paying) would at least be for a room with a better view?

From the people who regularly stay here on weekends what say you?

Thanks!

Last edited by neo_781; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:36 am
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by neo_781
My in-laws want to stay at this property for an upcoming weekend.
Being from Chicago I haven't ever stayed at this hotel.

They have asked me to get them a room with a Lake View.

I've read the reviews and it sounds like pretty much Platinum's don't get upgrades. However it is my understanding that a better view is technically considered an upgrade (they are booked in a traditional room). Seeing as to guarantee a lake view it'd be another $58/night I don't think it would be worth that.

Knowing that the only way to get exactly what you want is to pay for it ... my question is do you think there is a good likelihood that the platinum upgrade (I'm paying) would at least be for a room with a better view?

From the people who regularly stay here on weekends what say you?

Thanks!

PS - I was trying to get them to stay at the W Lakeshore (should I push harder?).
Based on what is written, how did you come to the that conclusion, that Platinum members don't get/rarely get upgrades? I've only stayed on weekends/long holiday weekends and have always been upgraded. I thought the pictures in my review were obvious.

Are your in-laws Platinum members?

In regard to the W, are they the W "type" if not why put them there?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Based on what is written, how did you come to the that conclusion, that Platinum members don't get/rarely get upgrades? I've only stayed on weekends/long holiday weekends and have always been upgraded. I thought the pictures in my review were obvious.

Are your in-laws Platinum members?

In regard to the W, are they the W "type" if not why put them there?
Thanks for your input. At least a few of the more recent comments (i.e. this year) have indicated that they weren't getting Platinum upgrades.

Specifically post#'s: 122, 123, 133, 134, 135 and 140

Now I understand that if people aren't getting Suites they don't necessarily realize its still an upgraded room so I was looking for confirmation if everyone was experiencing the same thing.

Your response and redirect to previous posts indicates that your experience does not match some of the more recent reviews.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by neo_781
Thanks for your input. At least a few of the more recent comments (i.e. this year) have indicated that they weren't getting Platinum upgrades.

Specifically post#'s: 122, 123, 133, 134, 135 and 140

Now I understand that if people aren't getting Suites they don't necessarily realize its still an upgraded room so I was looking for confirmation if everyone was experiencing the same thing.

Your response and redirect to previous posts indicates that your experience does not match some of the more recent reviews.
I've been to the hotel twice this year (granted I no long write trip reviews) and I've been upgraded to the same room.

Also, there are rooms in the western side of the hotel (Seneca St. side - the taller building) that have larger rooms called Executive Suits. They also have suites which I know are above and beyond the Select Standard Suite upgrades in that building as well. The Presidents suite is also on this side of the hotel.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I've stayed at this hotel a few times but I can no longer justify it. With W Lakeshore nearby where they UG you to suites if available and IMO go above and beyond, I'd rather stay there. Also the Sheraton there is better IMO than this Westin. I'm a Westin girl, but the Chicago Westin disappointed me one too many times.

Since you're a Plat and paying, I would ask them to trust you, and then book them at W. IMO (and I've stayed at both properties many times) the views from W are much better. Even if you get a suite and it's not lake view, you can see the view from the elevator area. Lakeshore W has upgraded me almost every time I've stayed there. And they're wonderful with people. If you let them know you're coming with some special people and you want to impress them, more than likely you'll get a free drink or a nice hello gift. I love to spend my birthdays there b/c they're great with special occasions. They treat plats well there, IMO.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
If seeing the lake between two adjacent and taller buildings is satisfactory, then feel free to stay at the Westin. Otherwise the W Lakeshore has the unobstructed view from most (if not all) rooms facing towards the lake. Having said that, I wasn't impressed with either property and will stay at a non-Starwood property when I'm next in Chi-town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.