Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:02 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Shockingly, he next asked me if I'd prefer the night be free or if he should charge me and give me points equivalent to a free night.
What did you take? .
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Points of course! The hotel was on the company CC.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:35 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Westin Michigan Ave. Chicago Sold, Still a Starwood

Courtesy of Crain's Chicago Business:

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=19334

Steve
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:54 am

I hope that this results in improved service, the few visits over the last year have been mixed at best (ranging from noise to lost luggage).
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:11 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Here's more info.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5249452.story
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:44 am

Talking

I just spend another two nights at this property and thought it had slipped considerably since my last stay which I posted. Staff remain dedicated and hard working, and I agree with Idsant that they are one of the strong suits of the hotel. Because the hotel was fully booked, I was told a suite was not available for a Platinum upgrade, but the front desk clerk mentioned my 500 Point Ammenity as well as the conplimentatry water. I asked if the hotel had yet implemented a Concierge suite, but was told it still was under consideration for one of the lower floors (2-4). ???? As always, I came well armed with the printout from Flyertalk to which many of you had contributed, and left it with the hotel staff after checking in.

My room was 2746, on the top floor, overlooking the Drake Hotel and Lake Shore Drive, and it was large with a satisfactory air conditioning system. What caught my eye was the numerous spills that had occurred in the hall, and that they were obvious despite the dark hall carpet that was throughout the hotel. My bathroom was large, but there was a faint smell of mold; the tile grout also contained some mold in 2-3 places, and the wall paper along the tub had become unglued near the baseboard. Although the hotel boasted of the Heavengly Bath, the shower head emitted water that was more like a drizzle than the usual hurricane. I took the desk clerk up on her offer to try the coffee early in the AM outside the east elevator on Floor 14, and noted that the carpet on this floor and 2 other floors were also in need of a shampooing. Before leaving for Chicago, I emptied my toiletry bag of toothpaste and hair gel because of the new airline constraints, hoping that the hotel would have these products available for guests, but they did not. This meant that I needed to purchase these products in Chicago, as I did not want to check my Rollaboard. The airconditioner was able to keep my room comfortably chilled, as far cry from my last stay over a year ago when I had a number of restless nights from the heat.

The hotel gave me my wakeup calls on time, and had my bill under the door when I left by 6:45 AM. The hotel bill was correct, and I was assured that by the night desk clerk that I would be given all the SPG points I had earned. Upon leaving, the bell staff gave me a NY Times to read during the two days I was in Chicago. Although the lobby was quite active with lots of guests, the elevators quickly whisked me to the 27th floor without any major delays.

Overall, I was pleased by the service and would return to this hotel again. This was my 9th stay at a Starwood property in Chicago in 2006, and I continue to think that this property has the potential to become one of the best Starwood property in Chicago, but it needs considerable work to surpass the W at Lakeshore Drive. (No, I did not hear the "whooshing from the elevator that Suzy1K heard as I was as far removed from the elevator as possible, nor did I hear any sirens from Police cars and fire trucks).
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
any recent review of this property? pics?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:24 am
BCH

anyone have name or email address of the general manager for the hotel? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
any recent review of this property? pics?
anyone?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:11 pm

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Stayed weekend before July 4th

We stayed there the weekend before the 4th of July this year for a big family gathering. We had about 4 or 5 rooms total. My sister-in-law is a SPG plat, so she was upgraded to a corner suite that looked down Michigan Ave towards the lake. Her room was very nice and a good size. We were in the taller tower pretty high up and also had a lake view. Our room was a good size and was kept nice. The hotel was quite crowded that weekend because it was close to the 4th, Taste of Chicago was going on, and I think there were some groups as well based on teh luggage we saw.

We weren't at the hotel all that much since we were out exploring most of the time, but the location is great if you want to do some shopping and being so close to the lake and the Hancock tower is nice too if you're doing that sort of toursity stuff.

As for getting to the hotel, we took the train all the way from ORD and had no complaints at all. Very easy and much cheaper than a car service.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:19 pm

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Slow elevators

One more comment was that we were often waiting for the elevators (at either bank of them) for a while. As I previously mentioned the hotel was quite full that weekend, but it just got to be a bit frustrating. All-in-all though our stay was very nice and I would definitely go back.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
brief comments

Staying here for 2 nights currently... so far:

PROS:
- Nice lakeview room, no suites, but called the SPG line to see what the best room available is, and there is nothing more than a deluxe room available, which I believe I am in now.
- Nice lobby and location is great.
- Concierge recommended a great sushi restaurant - Kamehachi (1400 N Wells St at Ontario) - food and wine were great, and the bar had both ESPNs on.

CONS:
- Room looks a little dated... the lobby seems to be reno, but not the room(s).
- Internet didn't work when I got here, had to get Engineering to check it out. They came and made a change to 'Speed and Duplex' setting on my NIC, and it worked without a problem. Eng dude said it happens to about 50% of people, so seems like they should have a better solution than one guy running around fixing such a simple problem.

So far, that is all I got... seems 'okay' to me, not W comparable, but for $210 a night I can't expect that I don't think.

T.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:18 pm

In a room on the 15th floor now. Worst stay at a Westin (or similar caliber hotel) EVER:

1. First room, on the 27th (?) floor in the east tower had a heater that wouldn't turn off. Room was steaming. They told me it was a problem with the entire tower and suggested that I open the window. That didn't work, so new room.

2. This room, the internet didn't work. Engineering suggested the fix described in the previous post. That didn't work. Spent 15 minutes on hold for technical support, took another 15 minutes walking me through a bunch of nothing (including gratuitous reboot). No go.

I had called the front desk to ask for a third room and insisted that they make sure HVAC, internet, and all other mechanicals work as they should. Before they called back, internet in this room starts working.

Go figure. Staff have ranged from acceptable to good, but for a hotel of this caliber and price to have these known mechanical problems is unacceptable. We'll see what, if anything, they offer at checkout in the AM.

Oh, I almost forgot, a third major unfixable problem:

3. ESPN (just ESPN) is out. And this is a known problem.

Last edited by jonu; Dec 7, 2007 at 10:23 pm Reason: Added problem #3.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Trip Report - 03.08

Stayed at the Westin on a quick trip to Chicago with my nephew (he's 11). The lobby is gorgeous! The staff - Yvonne was amazing! The rest of the staff was somewhat inconsistent. Bell staff was very good; the concierge was not so good (waited 2 hours for a return phone call); the front desk supervisor was horrible and probably the rudest. But Yvonne really made up for it - she was spectacular!

I was told I was upgraded to a deluxe room. It was very large and spacious but was on the 5th floor with no view whatsoever. The bathroom was OK but nothing special. The towels had to be replaced the first day since 3/4 were ripped/torn and stained. The room is definitely "worn" but again, huge! Large desk, chaise that faced out, large chair, and double beds. Lovely marble entry way. What's interesting is that on my reservation I was offered an upgrade for $30 for a "breathtaking view."

Platinums don't receive anything "special." They do not have a lounge, do not offer coupons or anything for evening or morning snacks/breakfast. Internet was $12.45 per day (with tax).

I like the location a lot - it was very convenient for where we were going. I like the earnestness of the staff for the most part. Is it the best Westin anywhere in the system? Probably not; but it certainly has made great strides in the last 18 months (last time I stayed there).

There is a workout room (small) and the ability to have workout equipment in your room. The amenities include water in the room (2 large bottles) and they have a Starbucks service from 6 - 9 AM on floors 11 & 12.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

ldsant, any pictures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.