Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kanebear
I have a stay booked there in two weeks. Perhaps after all I WILL stay at the Peninsula. Frankly trying to pick a *wood property in Chicago is more trouble than it's worth! I've seen so much conflicting info it's mind boggling. The Sheraton Chicago is better than the Westin Mich Ave. The Westin is better than the Sheraton. The Ws are substandard, the Ws are fabulous... AAAAAARGH.

The Peninsula isn't even close to a Chicago Starwood property. Stay there whenever you can!

I was at the Westin MI Ave a few weeks ago with my mother while I was on a business trip and asked for a late check-out so my mom could shop while I was working. The front desk said, "no problem", but my mom would have to stop by the front desk to reactivate the key until 4p. When she visited the desk after lunch, they said that a late check-out was not possible, that she was making this conversation up, and then asked who she had spoken to. Of course my mother said that she had no idea who we had spoken to when we pressed the botton on the phone for the front desk. She frantically packed and checked out a few minutes later.

In addition, I had originally booked a single king room, but when I convinced my mother to come with me, switched the booking to two queen beds without any trouble. A few days before we arrived in CHI, I called to see if there was any upgrade availability (with points). When the hotel rep learned there were two people in the room (even though this was already documented in the reservation since my mom was checking in first), she raised the rate by $30. I realize this was a Starwood reservations problem (either the first agent should have told me about the raise in rate before I chenged the booking, or the second agent should have left it alone), but I am still disgruntled with the Westin MI Ave.

FYI, during this trip I stayed at almost every Starwood hotel in Chicago, and most enjoyed the downtown W.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wonderful Stay!

I just stayed at this property for one night this week while in Chicago on business. What a difference from a year ago! I was not upgraded but had a lovely lake view room on the 21st floor (I am a Platinum and my upgrades this year have basically been 2/42 nights ). Because I couldn't get upgraded they offered me one of three things - 500 extra points, complimentary breakfast from room service, or free internet. Guess which one this FTer took?

The room was nice - wonderful view of Lake Michigan (gorgeous sunrise!). But it was the staff this time that really made the difference - I was seriously impressed (and goodness knows after the last two stays at *wood and the crummy service I wasn't expecting anything else). I was blown away - when I checked in the clerk was apologetic for not having a suite, asked if I wanted a late checkout, provided the sheet with the three selections, and welcomed me, the turndown person who provided extra chocolates and was so nice as to come back later and say "oh, I forgot there was a note that you need a bath mat too", the bellman who when I was getting out of a cab with my arms full with papers and a computer said "here, let me help you" and proceeded to take the items from me while I exited the cab, the front desk person who when I approached stopped talking with her colleague and asked how she could help. When I had a problem at checkout with an additional internet charge, they removed it immediately with no hassle. The overall feel from the staff at this hotel was really wonderful! I spke with the Director of Operations at the hotel to thank him for having such a great staff and he too was gracious. It was really refreshing to deal with the staff here and have such a wonderful stay!

I am a firm believer that it takes so little (and very little cost) to make a customer happy. The staff here proved that. I will definitely stay at this property again when I return to Chicago.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
(I am a Platinum and my upgrades this year have basically been 2/42 nights
i assume you mean upgrades to suites. i am batting about the same....once to a suite at a four points sheraton. other than that, i have zero suite upgrades this year.

and, although i love starpoints, i love breakfast in bed free more that 500 starpoints.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, AC E50K
Westin Chicago

I really enjoyed this property. Got a nice upgrade and the staff was great.
But having said that I have stayed at the Sheraton who's advantage is that not being on Mich ave,you dont hear the police cars and fire trucks on Mich ave at 12:30 am. It is worse sometimes on week-ends. But as they say in Real estate " you can't beat location, location, location."
I liked the river view at Sheraton and it had a nice lounge.
For me its close, but I'd pick the Westin.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
any new reviews here? i am going to chi for biz and this westin looks like about a 2 block walk from where i need to be

thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:51 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

My two cents

I booked a week at the Westin River North recently.
There were enough complaints that I took everybodies word here on FT
And if nothing else the Westin RN is a beautiful first class property designed by the Nikko Hotel group who knew how to build world class hotels.
There is little distance between the two hotels having walked between them when the weather cooperates...
I called the River North and they couldn't have been more helpful when asking about my reservation ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 4, 2006 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Agree WRN is a nice property...

...nice u/g on room...nice club lounge...good location...nice gym...overall a good property and for $239/night not a bad deal for chi-town.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by allen074
any new reviews here? i am going to chi for biz and this westin looks like about a 2 block walk from where i need to be

thanks!
I stayed back in October with I was with "special friend" for his funeral directors convention -- we spent one night there.. (spitting stays up for more stay credit - he understand, stayed at the Sheraton Chicago Tower - FAB).

Check In: We waited in Elite Line after seeing Former NJ Christine Todd Whitman Check in much quick in a longer regular line. Check In Agent was very nice.

Room Upgrade: I was staying in a regular room, I asked for a upgrade as a GOLD. I was offered a Murphy Bed Room, not so bad it is an upgrade technically, buy a downgrade in bed quality. Room is bigger, bed is not the same since its a fold down from the wall.

Room: We found an empty seemingly unused coffee cup on the window sill. Room was fine otherwise.

Lounge: I don't know - was never offered - never looked - we stayed only one night.

Manager: Expressed concern to manager over long check in and cup issue, wrote down room number and assured me i it would never happen again. Thanks her for the room upgrade.

Overall - not bad the location is fantastic if you want to be on Michigan Avenue.

I'd stay again now that I'm a Platinum.

-Vincent
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I've stayed there three times this last year as a Plat. I have never received an upgrade but did receive 500 extra points since they didn't have any rooms to upgrade me too. I find the staff at this hotel to be superb! Seriously - the bellman/front desk folks are excellent! The rooms are "typical Westin" - nothing special. A higher-up floor room provides a good view though of the lake.

Never offered any lounge privileges or anything like that. Location is absolutely spectacular imo - can walk everywhere!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by allen074

thanks!

The location is unreal....especially for shopping on the Mile. My stay was not that great....Room was freezing one night (temp said 70 was like 55) next night was hotter than you know what (temp still said 70 felt like 90)....Gym was pretty good for cardio stuff....Room was slightly old. However the location is why I would go back here. That and the management was attentive to my issues (at least they said they would be) so that helped a lot.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Never stayed there, but the W downtown (not far from the WRN) was one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Lobby is really, really, really cool.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Never stayed there, but the W downtown (not far from the WRN) was one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Lobby is really, really, really cool.

Thats the Lakeshore - that place is FANTABULOUS...

-Vincent
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:15 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
I am at the westin chicago now :(

GRR - there is a dog on their "preferred guest floor" hollering at the top of its lungs for hours now

the desk tells me i should move

i told them no way - MOVE THEM

grr

shoulda stayed at the IC chicago
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not to start a dog-bashing thread - but yesterday at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento, there was a hyper Boston Terrier in line, jumping around, jumping (on leash) on someone else checking in. When that podium was available, I was ready to kick the dog if it jumped on me during check-in. The dog ended up on the same floor as me, but fortunately not at the "suite" end
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Last week at the Sheraton LAX I was awaken by a barking dog in the next room. I went to see the front desk manager. He calls the room, gets no answer and tells me they're not allowed to leave the dog alone in the room. Shockingly, he next asked me if I'd prefer the night be free or if he should charge me and give me points equivalent to a free night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.