Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I tried looking, and searching for the information, but couldn't find it (my wife says I can't find something if I'm looking right at it, so it could very well be there)...I was wondering about breakfast vouchers, or something since there isn't a lounge/club?
All you need to do is scroll up in this thread.

A complimentary breakfast is not a SPG benefit, nor does this property (I've had numerous stays here) give them out because they do not have a lounge. If they offered a free breakfast, BlissWorld, SleepDoc and I would have noted that in our reviews.

If breakfast is important, you might want research the Westin River North.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

A complimentary breakfast is not a SPG benefit, nor does this property (I've had numerous stays here) give them out because they do not have a lounge. If they offered a free breakfast, BlissWorld, SleepDoc and I would have noted that in our reviews.

A couple of years ago, I was booked on a promo rate (AAA), which offered complimentary breakfast with vouchers. The breakfast was only available from room service, but it was quite good.

I'm not sure if the AAA breakfast promo is still available for this property. My last few stays there were booked at different rates.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold

Thanks.
Typically this is one of my last choices for SPG properties when in Chicago (about 6 times/year), but suprisingly, this was the only one available for the two weekends I was looking...I'll keep an eye out as I would much rather stay at the Westin River North...I have a great track record of suite upgrades ( a HUGE plus when you have two boys under 5) and they have a lounge!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK

Small downer was that we requested adjoining rooms but our two rooms were separated by about 8 rooms. Since I had booked the two rooms months earlier, and since I am a PLAT, I can't imagine how my request was not fulfilled if they use *either* of these criteria for assigning rooms (elite level and/or chronology of booking)...adjoining rooms seem to be the least-fulfilled request of any I ask for in my spg experience now of 5+ yrs, and I rarely ask for anytuhing in "comments" except what is in my profile (except for the adjoining room(s) request when I do multi-room bookings, usually for leisure and usually w/ family and w/ small kids which I would like to not have to send out in the hallway to go to the other room(s). My final conclusion is that leisure travelers, even when elites and/or long-held bookings, are unlikely to get requests honored when the room mgr is assigning rooms. oh well. But I digress...
In my experience, the front desk staff never reads the comments when assigning rooms. Usually they are assigned based on what's left at the time of checkin (of course I am not top elite in any chain). This is true for every chain except Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons, which have a higher standard.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT

i stayed there last week and had an absolutley HORRIBLE experience (one of the worst SPG properties i've stayed at) but the one and only perk was that when i asked if there was a lounge and they said no i asked for breakfast coupons and they gave me a $35 voucher per day for room service. Now, they tried to charge me for it at checkout, but ended up removing the charges.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
This place is a DUMP!

We just returned from a 2 night stay in Chicago using our free promotional nights...it was the air and water show, the cubs were in town, and it's summer in Chicago, so everyplace was packed...first night we stayed at the Westin River North and I let my wife talk me in to staying at the Westin Michigan Ave. the second night due to its proximity to the air and water show...we had our two young boys with us (4 1/2 and 3), and they wanted to see it.
The place was a mob scene from checkin to check out...over run, not well kept and generally jam packed, with slow front desk service.
We got a room with two beds and a michigan ave. view on the 10th floor. It was LOUD! Constant horns, from the street and when people talked in the halls or open and closed doors, it was like they were right next to you! I know they can't do much about the street noise, but the hallway noise was crazy!
The window had peeling paint and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a few months. To top it all off, we got a room where the tub took about 3-4 hours to drain...literally! I took a shower before dinner on Sat. night and came home to bathe the boys about 2 hours later...still water in the tub and nice ring around it...TASTY! After 3 calls to "service express", we got a call back at 10:30, over an hour after our first call, and just in time to wake up our kids!
In the morning, went to check out and had to call service express 3 times just to get an answer...they sent up a bellman who was helpful, but couldn't seem to get us through to valet parking...no answer there when I called on my own...so I had to go down and then wait 20 minutes for the car!
Never again will I stay here unless it is my only option in Chicago!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:46 pm
Suspended

We just returned from a 2 night stay in Chicago using our free promotional nights...it was the air and water show, the cubs were in town, and it's summer in Chicago, so everyplace was packed...first night we stayed at the Westin River North and I let my wife talk me in to staying at the Westin Michigan Ave. the second night due to its proximity to the air and water show...we had our two young boys with us (4 1/2 and 3), and they wanted to see it.
The place was a mob scene from checkin to check out...over run, not well kept and generally jam packed, with slow front desk service.
We got a room with two beds and a michigan ave. view on the 10th floor. It was LOUD! Constant horns, from the street and when people talked in the halls or open and closed doors, it was like they were right next to you! I know they can't do much about the street noise, but the hallway noise was crazy!
The window had peeling paint and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a few months. To top it all off, we got a room where the tub took about 3-4 hours to drain...literally! I took a shower before dinner on Sat. night and came home to bathe the boys about 2 hours later...still water in the tub and nice ring around it...TASTY! After 3 calls to "service express", we got a call back at 10:30, over an hour after our first call, and just in time to wake up our kids!
In the morning, went to check out and had to call service express 3 times just to get an answer...they sent up a bellman who was helpful, but couldn't seem to get us through to valet parking...no answer there when I called on my own...so I had to go down and then wait 20 minutes for the car!
Never again will I stay here unless it is my only option in Chicago!
A "dump"? You had a room with a tub, thats didn't drain properly and you heard hallway noise. Those things are aggravating, but to label this property a "dump" is a stretch.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A "dump"? You had a room with a tub, thats didn't drain properly and you heard hallway noise. Those things are aggravating, but to label this property a "dump" is a stretch.
Perhaps we have different definitions of what constitutes a "dump"...calling this place a "sump" is far from a stretch IMO.

In addition to the other items that you glossed over, I can also mention the ongoing joke that my wife and I had about the cup near the lobby elevator that was there for 24+ hours, or the multiple food service trays that remained in the hallway over night, or the stained carpet in our room...IMO, "dump" is the appropriate word for this place, but as usual, YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Perhaps we have different definitions of what constitutes a "dump"...calling this place a "sump" is far from a stretch IMO.

In addition to the other items that you glossed over, I can also mention the ongoing joke that my wife and I had about the cup near the lobby elevator that was there for 24+ hours, or the multiple food service trays that remained in the hallway over night, or the stained carpet in our room...IMO, "dump" is the appropriate word for this place, but as usual, YMMV.
g

I along with two other FTers who are very picky. When I do a review I leave nothing out, with exception to room service. Since I do not order room service.

I've stayed here several times and if it was a dump, they wouldn't see a penny out of me.

You had some issues, if they bothered you that much I hope that you reported them to the GM.

Having said that, the issues you state happen at every hotel, at some point or another. Unless you say something to management you wont know why they happened. You saw something things that I too would not like, however, after seeing those things, I wouldn't label this property a dump.

I would say there were service issues during your stay, but after the overall positive reviews this property receives, again, I would not label this property a dump.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

g

I along with two other FTers who are very picky. When I do a review I leave nothing out, with exception to room service. Since I do not order room service.

I've stayed here several times and if it was a dump, they wouldn't see a penny out of me.

You had some issues, if they bothered you that much I hope that you reported them to the GM.

Having said that, the issues you state happen at every hotel, at some point or another. Unless you say something to management you wont know why they happened. You saw something things that I too would not like, however, after seeing those things, I wouldn't label this property a dump.

I would say there were service issues during your stay, but after the overall positive reviews this property receives, again, I would not label this property a dump.
Again, this is why I posted YMMV. I have stayed here several times, and this was the final straw...things like this have happened to me consistently at this property...and yes, I have reported them to the GM each and every time...never with anything more than a luke warm..."we'll work on making your next stay better".
Thanks for your input, but "again", I would label this property as a dump!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
g

Looks like the Starwood apologist committee is in full swing again...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vandalby
Don't be condescending. My comments are based on my previous stays and reviews.

I respect what bsdstone has to say and we both realize that each persons - FT member or not - experience may very. I don't think this property should be labeled a dump based on my stays, however bsdstone does, based on his stays. There is no right or wrong.

When properties does not meet realistic expectations or basic services, I'm the first to say 1) talk to the GM immediately and 2) if that does not work contact CCS. I'm not being an apologist!

Do you have anything to add about the property or did you just want to post comments that add nothing to the topic/conversation?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:06 pm

Fair shake of the sauce bottle mate!!!
Cheap Elite is well respected around here for his assistance to many of us.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ummm....this is a bit ridiculous! We have different opinions on a property, big deal. No one is a bigger SPG fan than I am...my stay(s) at this property will not change that.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
Just back from a weekend here with family. Used cash/points and free weekends. We were given adjoining rooms, with mine being an executive suite with a K. Other family members had two doubles. It turned out well, with us spending most of the time in my suite. The rooms were by the elevators and a little noisy (there was a couple fighting next door) but otherwise fine. Room had large flat screen HDTV, but no Westin shower. Upgraded amenities

Check-in was a breeze. No waiting in the gold/platinum line. Throughout the stay, everyone was helpful at registration. Also had the concierge book a tour for us and they were incredibly helpful, saving us Ticketmaster service charge.

The place was crowded. Lots of kids. The Detroit Lions were staying there, as were many of their fans. Lobby always seemed chaotic, but didn't seem to impact service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.