Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1.95 MM, SPG gld
I don't know if this is a problem unique to rates at the Sheraton Centro Historico or not.... I tried to book a room there for 4 nights next week (2/13-17), on spg.com . First it said "no rooms available" and upon trying again, it only had rates upwards of $200 USD. I called the toll-free number and was told there are indeed rooms available... including a rate for $146 USD, incl all taxes and breakfast. FWIW.....
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Sheraton Suites Santa Fe

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Suites Santa Fe ? Is it in a convenient location for tourist / shopping ?
What are the Platinum benefits, if any?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by meremale
Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Suites Santa Fe ? Is it in a convenient location for tourist / shopping ?
What are the Platinum benefits, if any?
I wouldn't think that's a tourist area. The times I was in Santa Fe, I was visiting Cuervo, HP, and other heavily-fortified corporate complexes. I didn't see the "tourist" areas in Santa Fe but as you look up on the hills surrounding the area, you can see the household trash carving a path slowly to the bottom. That was one of the most depressing things I had seen in MC.

I always stay in Polanco (The W, Intercontinental, and the JW Marriott). I really appreciate the restaurants, including the Asian restaurant in the Hotel Nikko next door. The bar scene is excellent at all hotels in that area and they are all within walking distance. I would stick with Polanco, even if I was commuting to Santa Fe, but I guess it depends on how "authentic" an experience you are craving!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Santa Fe is definitely not a tourist area, only corporations.

Commuting to/from Santa Fe from the Tourist areas can take up to 60 min each way due to traffic, not a nice experience.

Tourist locations, where the Touribus goes include W/Polanco, Sheraton Maria Isabel and Sheraton Centro Historico.

Both W/Polanco and Sheraton Maria Isabel are safe to go out in the evening and walk in the neighbourhood. The one in Centro Historico is not as nice in the evenings.

If you want tourist experience definitely choose Maria Isabel, and for a more luxurious experience eventually W/Polanco.

If your first time in Mexico City there are 2 circuits for the Touribus, which is rather inexpensive and worthwhile. Enjoy !
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:20 pm

Finally going to make a much anticipated first trip to Mexico City--and going to time it to see USA v Mexico at Azteca Stadium in August.

I'm not yet sure how I'll get from the hotel to Azteca--but does anyone have a suggestion for which location might provide "easiest" access on a game day?

I'm planning on spending a few nights at Centro Historico, but I'd split my time with another Starwood if there's a distinct advantage in getting to the stadium.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
Finally going to make a much anticipated first trip to Mexico City--and going to time it to see USA v Mexico at Azteca Stadium in August.

I'm not yet sure how I'll get from the hotel to Azteca--but does anyone have a suggestion for which location might provide "easiest" access on a game day?

I'm planning on spending a few nights at Centro Historico, but I'd split my time with another Starwood if there's a distinct advantage in getting to the stadium.
I'd stick with Centro Historico.

I'm going by memory here, but I think you should be able to walk to Hidalgo metro (a couple of blocks from the CH) and take the #2 to Tasqueña. From there get on the Xochimilco Light Rail and it should drop you off in from the stadium.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
I'd stick with Centro Historico.

I'm going by memory here, but I think you should be able to walk to Hidalgo metro (a couple of blocks from the CH) and take the #2 to Tasqueña. From there get on the Xochimilco Light Rail and it should drop you off in from the stadium.
Thanks! I wasn't quite sure what Metro stop was close to the Centro Historico--so this is super helpful/helps send me in the right direction.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pb9997
Both W/Polanco and Sheraton Maria Isabel are safe to go out in the evening and walk in the neighbourhood. The one in Centro Historico is not as nice in the evenings.
So it sounds like for a family vacation (two small children), the W or Sheraton Maria Isabel are the ones to look at. How about the new St. Regis? Has anyone had experience staying there? I like that the Sheraton has a lounge (always nice with kids). Any read on the likelihood of an upgrade for a Platinum member at any of these 3 properties?

Our last vacation (with one small child then) was to Paris and it was a great place for a little kid--safe, lots of parks, etc... But we'd like to do something simpler this time (i.e., closer to the west coast of the US). If we mostly hang around the Paseo de la Reforma and Chapultepec Park are we in for a good family time?

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:20 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by morerainplease
So it sounds like for a family vacation (two small children), the W or Sheraton Maria Isabel are the ones to look at. How about the new St. Regis? Has anyone had experience staying there? I like that the Sheraton has a lounge (always nice with kids). Any read on the likelihood of an upgrade for a Platinum member at any of these 3 properties?

Our last vacation (with one small child then) was to Paris and it was a great place for a little kid--safe, lots of parks, etc... But we'd like to do something simpler this time (i.e., closer to the west coast of the US). If we mostly hang around the Paseo de la Reforma and Chapultepec Park are we in for a good family time?

Thanks.
i split between the sheraton and the w. the sheraton has a lounge which you will get access to as a platinum which will have breakfast and snacks. i have not received a suite upgrade in 10 stays. the neighborhood is very commercial with not much interesting in the immediate vicinity ( the zona rosa is not what it used to be). the w may give you a corner suite which is one large room and very nice ( not sure if they have any with two beds though). if you are getting two rooms you can ask them to give you adjoining rooms which you can turn into a suite with a common door for both rooms--very nice. if you are with your family the area around the w is much nicer for food and just walking around.

i like mexico and spend around 5 weeks a year there but i do not see mexico city as a good place for a family vacation. we have actually spent three of the last four spring breaks in puerto vallarta at the westin. it is a great property and treats platinums very well with an upgrade to it's beach club. the city is more than a beach town and gives you a little bit more to do than your basic mexico beach resort. not sure how you would fill up time in mexico city with young kids and enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: United million mile 1k, honors gold
Which hotel is better in Mexico city

I want to use Starwood points in Mexico city. Between the ST Regis, W or Sheraton MI which is better? Is polanco or zone rosa better for a glbt traveller?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Stan la!

You might find this thread useful: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340587. The most recent posts are over a year old, but I'm sure you'll find good information there.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Stan la
I want to use Starwood points in Mexico city. Between the ST Regis, W or Sheraton MI which is better? Is polanco or zone rosa better for a glbt traveller?
What is a glbt traveller?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldtrav
What is a glbt traveller?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:12 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have not stayed at the St Regis but have spent a lot of time at both the W and the Sheraton over the years. The W is, as you would expect, W cool and in a neighborhood that is very walkable and full of good restaurants and bars. For me there is plenty to do there that does not require taking a taxi. However the new trendy area is Condesa/Roma which would require a taxi from either hotel. If you want to hang out and travel around the city then you might want to save the points or money and stay at the Sheraton which is a very nice hotel. From the Sheraton you can also just walk across the street to the Zona Rosa which to me is a shadow of its former self but friends of mine still seem to enjoy it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by abk
I have not stayed at the St Regis but have spent a lot of time at both the W and the Sheraton over the years. The W is, as you would expect, W cool and in a neighborhood that is very walkable and full of good restaurants and bars. For me there is plenty to do there that does not require taking a taxi. However the new trendy area is Condesa/Roma which would require a taxi from either hotel. If you want to hang out and travel around the city then you might want to save the points or money and stay at the Sheraton which is a very nice hotel. From the Sheraton you can also just walk across the street to the Zona Rosa which to me is a shadow of its former self but friends of mine still seem to enjoy it.
The wouldn't stay anywhere else but the St Regis in DF. Just returned from my second trip in a month and the Sheraton is boring and old and smack against the US Embassy (plus a Starbucks). The W in Polanco is so so in my opinion, the quality of the room construction leaves a bit much to be desired given the prices they try to charge.

The St Regis is just over a year old, well constructed, 3 short blocks from Sevilla Metro, one long black from the Sheraton and Zona Rosa. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.