Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
For a very short visit like yours the W is ideal. Superb location to walk around to nearby shops, restaurants and parks.

You will likely get an upgrade to a larger room (not suite) but it will have a balcony. The breakfast is also a decent spread.

Have fun!
Second this suggestion.

Aroudn the hotel excellent restaurants within a short walking distance.

In the morning eventually walk from W towards Masaryk Avenue, restaurants and bars on the way to enjoy a drink and watch people and their dogs on a Saturday morning; If walking is your thing consider ongoing to Palacio de Hierro Moliere, interesting terrace on the upper floor with cafes and restaurants... and walking owwards, eventually, to Antara Shopping; You can always get a cab back to W.

If you are willing to venture yourself outside Polanco's area, on a Saturday, I would strongly suggest you Uber yourself to San Angel, a very interesting experience on Saturdays where local painters and foreigners go there to have lunch and enjoy the older buildings; That area is much more characterisc of the Mexico we envision, yet safe and with nice restaurants, around cobbled old streets.

Otherwise getting a taxi towards the Belas Artes Palace, across Hilton Mexico City Reforma downtown, and walking towards Zocalo, would also be a possibility... having luck around there... and taxi back to hotel.

Bear in mind that Mexico City is a city at a very high altitude thus a foreign system may need days to adjust prior to outside activities. If you feeel tired consider hopping in the Turibus and let it ride you, for seated sightseeings; On of their circuits goes by your hotel, towards downtown and back.

I am sure you will aprreciate CDMX, one way or the other.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Similar to another recent poster, I am going to be in Mexico City for the first time for a 22-hour layover between flights. I managed to get a reservation at Pujol so am planning to stay in Polanco, and am debating between the W and Las Alcobas.

I'm leaning toward Las Alcobas since the reviews are very good, but just wondering if anyone would argue differently? W is also currently showing sold out for the night we're there, which doesn't bode well for upgrades.

On a related note, does anyone know roughly what either hotel would charge for an airport transfer? Since we're only there for a short time I don't want to have to get cash out if it can be avoided, though I have also heard Uber is a good option, but not sure how easy it will be to meet up with an Uber driver at the airport when we arrive in MEX. (Our Spanish capabilities are no more than basic.)

BTW, for anyone else who is looking, I managed to get a pretty good deal at Las Alcobas using the little-used and nearly forgotten SPG50 award -- 1,000 points for 50% off hotel rack rates for up to 5 nights. At most hotels rack rates aren't readily accessible but end up being well more than twice the "usual" rates so it's not worthwhile, but Las Alcobas happens to publish their rack rates on SPG.com and was asking $495 for the best available rate or $500 for rack for my dates. So 1K points to get Las Alcobas for $250/night was a pretty good deal.
RafKa and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Similar to another recent poster, I am going to be in Mexico City for the first time for a 22-hour layover between flights. I managed to get a reservation at Pujol so am planning to stay in Polanco, and am debating between the W and Las Alcobas.

I'm leaning toward Las Alcobas since the reviews are very good, but just wondering if anyone would argue differently? W is also currently showing sold out for the night we're there, which doesn't bode well for upgrades.

On a related note, does anyone know roughly what either hotel would charge for an airport transfer? Since we're only there for a short time I don't want to have to get cash out if it can be avoided, though I have also heard Uber is a good option, but not sure how easy it will be to meet up with an Uber driver at the airport when we arrive in MEX. (Our Spanish capabilities are no more than basic.)

BTW, for anyone else who is looking, I managed to get a pretty good deal at Las Alcobas using the little-used and nearly forgotten SPG50 award -- 1,000 points for 50% off hotel rack rates for up to 5 nights. At most hotels rack rates aren't readily accessible but end up being well more than twice the "usual" rates so it's not worthwhile, but Las Alcobas happens to publish their rack rates on SPG.com and was asking $495 for the best available rate or $500 for rack for my dates. So 1K points to get Las Alcobas for $250/night was a pretty good deal.
Stick to Las Alcobas! It’s a spectacularly beautiful boutique property even better located than the W. And you got an amazing rate, to boot.

We stayed at the StR but visited both the W and Las Alcobas a few yrs ago. We would always stay only at the StR or Las Alcobas.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
We will stay in Mexico City for 2 nights in April.
We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (4yo and 7yo) as it is just 2 nights, we would prefer to to be in a central location.
The plan is to book on points and to upgrade with a Suite night award to a suite, the kids are too you to put in a separate room.

So which SPG hotel would be recommended to stay with kids, ideally we have some privacy in the suite, so when the kids go to bed we can still have some space for ourselves.
Are there hotels in Mexico City recommended or less recommended to stay with kids?
What is generally speaking the best Starwood hotel in Mexico City?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Remcod
We will stay in Mexico City for 2 nights in April.
We are a family of 4 with 2 kids (4yo and 7yo) as it is just 2 nights, we would prefer to to be in a central location.
The plan is to book on points and to upgrade with a Suite night award to a suite, the kids are too you to put in a separate room.

So which SPG hotel would be recommended to stay with kids, ideally we have some privacy in the suite, so when the kids go to bed we can still have some space for ourselves.
Are there hotels in Mexico City recommended or less recommended to stay with kids?
What is generally speaking the best Starwood hotel in Mexico City?
St. Regis would be nicest and the suites are very large. Sheraton would be reasonable for a lower points option. Same area as the St. Regis with a club lounge. Las Alcobas has very few suites so I would not count on being upgraded there. The W is not a great option for little kids.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
St. Regis would be nicest and the suites are very large. Sheraton would be reasonable for a lower points option. Same area as the St. Regis with a club lounge. Las Alcobas has very few suites so I would not count on being upgraded there. The W is not a great option for little kids.
I agree, though the StR Executive Suite is more of a junior suite with open floor plan, and I believe that’s the SNA standard suite. Absolutely agree that Los Alcobas has too few suites to count on for this scenario.

Without question, the StR is the nicest option. I’d consider it the best luxury hotel in the city, with apologies to the newly renovated FS that’s just trying to keep up (though it does have a lovely and authentic courtyard).
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
We were in Mexico City a few weeks ago with our 6 year old and stayed at the W. It was perfectly fine with a kid and there's a park with a playground 5 minutes out the front door. We used an SNA for a fantastic suite (more of a junior suite) that had a small couch that our daughter could sleep on. Two kids would have been tricky with existing furniture, but there was ample floor space for a rollaway. I have no doubt the St. Regis is a more luxurious option (we only visited the lobby), but I wouldn't discount the W solely on the grounds of travelling with children. I posted more details on our stay in the W thread.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:30 am

The Meridien is an all suite property; although when I stayed here a couple of months ago a fairly average one
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:34 am

Thanks everybody!
Will consider the St Regis for this trip
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by brittex
The Meridien is an all suite property; although when I stayed here a couple of months ago a fairly average one
It was converted a few years back from an Embassy Suites.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brittex
Just stayed here on my last night before an early flight. Yes, it is quite average. No upgrade despite all room types showing available. Rooms appear to have been updated, but still have that limited service feel. Shower was poor. Bed (supposedly a King) was very short. Location is less than ideal . . . you're sort of in the middle of the city, but not especially close to much of anything.

On the plus side, the rooms are extremely well sound insulated from street noise, which is often not the case in Mexico City. The front door staff was extremely friendly (which was a nice change from Hilton Reforma, where they act like prison guards).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, St Regis seems a bit expensive for that period, 300 euro vs 70 euro for the Sheraton.
Is it really worthwhile to pay so that difference?
We'll be there for 2 nights only, we like a good hotel, but more than 4 times the price is not just a bit more...

W and Habita Design hotel both are in a different area and also seem nice and reasonably priced.
So I will probably want to go for the nicest neighbourhood to make my choice.

For us it is important to have good restaurants nearby and maybe something nice for the kids.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For us it is important to have good restaurants nearby and maybe something nice for the kids.
The W's location is probably best location given those criteria. Easy walking to parks and lots of restaurants.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:52 am

OK, so location wise W hotel is the better choice an quality wise I should go for the St Regis, am I right?

I still don't know which hotel I should book now

As in child-friendliness and most chance for a decent upgrade using my SNA's, which of the above hotels stands out?

Last edited by Remcod; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:44 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
OK, so location wise W hotel is the better choice an quality wise I should go for the St Regis, am I right?

I still don't know which hotel I should book now

As in child-friendliness and most chance for a decent upgrade using my SNA's, which of the above hotels stands out?
Uver's are practically free in Mexico City. I would choose the St.R
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.